• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam Leong's band of brothers - cyclists

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Average of 560 yearly serious accidents involving cyclists on roads​

mi_cyclists_100122.jpg

The number of serious accidents per year has remained relatively stable, notwithstanding the increasing popularity of cycling. ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
toh_ting_wei.png

Toh Ting Wei

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - An average of about 560 serious accidents involving cyclists on roads have been recorded yearly in the past five years.
Meanwhile, the average number of serious accidents yearly on park connectors and cycling paths stands at about 90, said Transport Minister S. Iswaran in a written parliamentary reply issued on Monday (Jan 10).
A serious accident refers to an accident that results in injuries or fatalities.
Mr Iswaran told Ms Foo Mee Har (West Coast GRC) that the number of serious accidents a year has remained relatively stable, notwithstanding the increasing popularity of cycling in recent years.
He said it is difficult to assess the direct impact of new regulations to promote the safe use of bicycles and electric bicycles on safety outcomes.
But the combined impact of these regulations, along with regular education campaigns and enforcement efforts, have contributed to the stable rate of accidents, he added.
"The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will continue to step up education and enforcement efforts, to strengthen knowledge of and compliance with safe cycling practices," said Mr Iswaran.

"At the same time, we urge all road and path users to continue to play their part to use our shared spaces in a responsible manner."
The Government has announced several rules aimed at improving safety over the use of bicycles and electric bicycles in the past few years, amid growing concern about the use of active mobility devices.
In the latest set of rules which kicked in on Jan 1 this year, cyclists caught flouting traffic rules will have to pay a $150 fine, double from $75 previously.
Cycling groups are now also capped at five people in a single file or 10 cyclists when riding abreast.
Users of electric bicycles and electric scooters were required to pass a mandatory online theory test before this year in order to continue using the devices in public spaces.
Riders are now required to show their digital certificate when requested by enforcement officers.
LTA said in a Facebook post last Friday (Jan 7) that its enforcement officers have caught 26 people riding without the certificate since the start of the year.
E-scooter and e-bike riders who use their devices on public paths without passing the test can be fined up to $2,000 and/or jailed for six months for the first offence.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
they are all over along slumgol waterway wearing unbuttoned shirts, no helmets, and blaring loud music. would love to see a confrontation between tdf wannabes and bengs on bikes.
We have our fair share of encounters with Beng roadies blasting their Chinese techno weaving in and out of lanes. We just overtake them and leave them eating dusts.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The worst road hoggers are cars!

Just look at the number of cars hogging the roads on a regular basis. To make matters worse when cars hog the roads they're at a standstill. This never happens with cyclists who are always moving at between 20 to 40kph and therefore cause no congestion whatsoever.

Cars hogging an intersection :

1642199183047.png

Cars hogging an expressway ramp :

1642199268283.png

Cars hogging the road outside a school :

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If all these car drivers switched to riding bicycles or PMDs all this road hogging could be eliminated and the traffic would be free flowing.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Average of 560 yearly serious accidents involving cyclists on roads​

mi_cyclists_100122.jpg

The number of serious accidents per year has remained relatively stable, notwithstanding the increasing popularity of cycling. ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
toh_ting_wei.png

Toh Ting Wei

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - An average of about 560 serious accidents involving cyclists on roads have been recorded yearly in the past five years.
Meanwhile, the average number of serious accidents yearly on park connectors and cycling paths stands at about 90, said Transport Minister S. Iswaran in a written parliamentary reply issued on Monday (Jan 10).
A serious accident refers to an accident that results in injuries or fatalities.
Mr Iswaran told Ms Foo Mee Har (West Coast GRC) that the number of serious accidents a year has remained relatively stable, notwithstanding the increasing popularity of cycling in recent years.
He said it is difficult to assess the direct impact of new regulations to promote the safe use of bicycles and electric bicycles on safety outcomes.
But the combined impact of these regulations, along with regular education campaigns and enforcement efforts, have contributed to the stable rate of accidents, he added.
"The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will continue to step up education and enforcement efforts, to strengthen knowledge of and compliance with safe cycling practices," said Mr Iswaran.

"At the same time, we urge all road and path users to continue to play their part to use our shared spaces in a responsible manner."
The Government has announced several rules aimed at improving safety over the use of bicycles and electric bicycles in the past few years, amid growing concern about the use of active mobility devices.
In the latest set of rules which kicked in on Jan 1 this year, cyclists caught flouting traffic rules will have to pay a $150 fine, double from $75 previously.
Cycling groups are now also capped at five people in a single file or 10 cyclists when riding abreast.
Users of electric bicycles and electric scooters were required to pass a mandatory online theory test before this year in order to continue using the devices in public spaces.
Riders are now required to show their digital certificate when requested by enforcement officers.
LTA said in a Facebook post last Friday (Jan 7) that its enforcement officers have caught 26 people riding without the certificate since the start of the year.
E-scooter and e-bike riders who use their devices on public paths without passing the test can be fined up to $2,000 and/or jailed for six months for the first offence.

This article is misleading and blaming weekend warrior cyclists.

Any driver knows the cyclists most at risk are those foreign workers who cycle to and from factories in the dark with no lights, wear dark clothing, no helmet and 0 knowledge of traffic rules. Almost hit a few whenever I drive around jurong area at night. Yet the pic shows lycra riders who always take precautions and know traffic rules.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If all these car drivers switched to riding bicycles or PMDs all this road hogging could be eliminated and the traffic would be free flowing.
with on and off tropical thunderstorms and unpredictable heavy downpour in sg during wet seasons, it’s sextremely hazardous to ride a bike. pmds and bikes are great for dry spells. unfortunately in sg weather is very unpredictable and spotty december through february. it may rain buckets in upper thomson but overcast and dry nearby in sengkang.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are all over along slumgol waterway wearing unbuttoned shirts, no helmets, and blaring loud music. would love to see a confrontation between tdf wannabes and bengs on bikes.
Ah beng stds sure have dropped. An ah Beng aspirations in the past was at least a car....now it's a bicycle? Wats next? A skate board, talk about going backwards

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
with on and off tropical thunderstorms and unpredictable heavy downpour in sg during wet seasons, it’s sextremely hazardous to ride a bike. pmds and bikes are great for dry spells. unfortunately in sg weather is very unpredictable and spotty december through february. it may rain buckets in upper thomson but overcast and dry nearby in sengkang.
Sinkieland is no London. The weather map gives me easily 5 hours of accuracy and we normally make a call whether the risks of rain is too high. I’ve never been caught in a storm. If it does happen, Sinkieland is so tiny you can get to a shelter before the storm. We also make detours if weather changes during our ride. TDF wannabes are intelligent beings. We read the weather, the wind, the traffic and even the timing of traffic lights.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkieland is no London. The weather map gives me easily 5 hours of accuracy and we normally make a call whether the risks of rain is too high. I’ve never been caught in a storm. If it does happen, Sinkieland is so tiny you can get to a shelter before the storm. We also make detours if weather changes during our ride. TDF wannabes are intelligent beings. We read the weather, the wind, the traffic and even the timing of traffic lights.
not all tdf wannabes are like that. only the seasoned ones who plan their routes and activities methodically and with precision. many tdf wannabes are still wet in the ears trying to emulate the latest and greatest. btw, i fell on a bike not too long ago (muddy patch transitioning to pavement after a storm) and my apple watch detected my fall. it asked me if i’m ok. i clicked ok and moved on. otherwise apple watch will alert first responders and give them my coordinates with a 36.9m radial accuracy. it has a cycling metric and data collection function too, mapping my route and providing all kinds of stats. time for you to junk the gadgets on your bike and consolidate into the apple watch.

very pedestrian bike ride while testing my new apple watch. casual, smooth and flat on a foldable. gravel and dirt towards coney island and rough on the island. shiok but fell outside coney island.

Last edited:

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
not all tdf wannabes are like that. only the seasoned ones who plan their routes and activities methodically and with precision. many tdf wannabes are still wet in the ears trying to emulate the latest and greatest. btw, i fell on a bike not too long ago (muddy patch transitioning to pavement after a storm) and my apple watch detected my fall. it asked me if i’m ok. i clicked ok and moved on. otherwise apple watch will alert first responders and give them my coordinates with a 36.9m radial accuracy. it has a cycling metric and data collection function too, mapping my route and providing all kinds of stats. time for you to junk the gadgets on your bike and consolidate into the apple watch.

very pedestrian bike ride while testing my new apple watch. casual, smooth and flat on a foldable. gravel and dirt towards coney island and rough on the island. shiok but fell outside coney island.
I use a chink Magene device purchased for $60. Doesn’t Apple Watch drain your phone batteries? I hate to have flat batteries when I’m out. Yesterday I kept my phone in my pouch and it still had 90% battery at the end of 5 hours.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I use a chink Magene device purchased for $60. Doesn’t Apple Watch drain your phone batteries? I hate to have flat batteries when I’m out. Yesterday I kept my phone in my pouch and it still had 90% battery at the end of 5 hours.
nope. the a-watch runs on its own without the need to carry the iphone around. for sexercising, one can keep hisher iphone at home or in the drawer. the a-watch 6.9 has a cellular chip (6 also has) and you can use it as a phone, messenger, or for cashless payment. my watch cellular number is the same as my iphone number, as i have to ask my provider to sync them but each is considered a separate line in the same account. it’s as though i carry 2 phones. i don’t carry my phone with me anymore when i’m out walking, running, hiking, cycling, swimming. oh yes, one can wear the a-watch while swimming or snorkeling. not for diving though. it’s one sexcellent way to consolidate all physical activities in one wearable device and harness all the data (physical, locational, and medical) in one place.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nope. the a-watch runs on its own without the need to carry the iphone around. for sexercising, one can keep hisher iphone at home or in the drawer. the a-watch 6.9 has a cellular chip (6 also has) and you can use it as a phone, messenger, or for cashless payment. my watch cellular number is the same as my iphone number, as i have to ask my provider to sync them but each is considered a separate line in the same account. it’s as though i carry 2 phones. i don’t carry my phone with me anymore when i’m out walking, running, hiking, cycling, swimming. oh yes, one can wear the a-watch while swimming or snorkeling. not for diving though. it’s one sexcellent way to consolidate all physical activities in one wearable device and harness all the data (physical, locational, and medical) in one place.
Ok I’m sold

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How stimulate economy when no COE?
The bikes industry will produce a greater stimulus to the economy. For every COE issued, there is likely to be 10 bikes purchase. If SG can become a production hub for the bikes here, all the way upstream to bare parts, it will create tens of thousands of jobs.