• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam Leong Is Wrong

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have given some thoughts on this eversince it was known that SBF wants donations from members to continue being a success. Since then some donations had trickled in, but not as much as I thought.

When those who donated were awarded 1000 reputation points, I thought to myself it will have a detrimental effect on the forum. Apart from one incident I noted i.e., Kinana was banned, an acrimonious issue ignited between 2 members of the forum. Another issue may be that should a new member with intent to cause mischief in the forum can ban other members at will or be real nasty without fear of losing enough points to get moderated. How is it possible to rein in a member who is a trouble-maker?

Perhaps there are some of us, me included, who wanted to donate without the stigma that we are doing so not for the points but because we feel the burden of running and administering the site should not rest on the shoulders of the Sam alone. We all have a stake (interest) here, not to see it slowly wither away and go the way of the Dodo.

Moreover, being the site owner/administrator, once having forum members to donate for the continued success of the forum, the owner/administrator has a responsibility to these members and ensure he will do his best to keep the forum running and ensure it's continual well-being. He should not be tweaking the forum for his own amusement. It is totally a different ball-game altogether when receiving donations.

Members who have donated are given certain privileges "P" and one of them is that apart from having "P" to his monicker, be given the right to vote on important issues put forward by the owner/administrator before being implemented. The other privileges is up to the owner/administrator to decide.

However, I may be totally off and stand corrected if anyone disagrees. A poll can be set up for those who are shy to have their say.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I don't want donations. I don't need donations. However, I keep getting emails and PMs from members and guests [god knows from where] requesting that they be allowed to contribute to show their support. I have been echoing the same response... that I don't need the money and there is no need to contribute.

These requests are not new. They have been sporadic requests since Delphi days.

After getting another couple of requests in the last fortnight, I decided that since the script was readily available, I might as well install it so that I could direct all volunteer donors to the appropriate page to see what happens.

So if you want to donate, the money will be used to pay the bills. If you don't want to donate, just carry on using the forum absolutely FOC.

It makes no difference to me. Donations aren't going to change my life and lack of donations aren't going cause the demise of the forum. I have enough money to pay for the running of the forum up front for the next 20 years if need be. It will then outlast me by a considerable margin and you guys can continue squabbling long after I've boarded the lorry.

PS: If anyone who has already donated regrets doing so for whatever reason, just PM me I'll return you your money.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am serious about making contribution to you, but I am adverse to be using any form to on-line payment, that will link to any of my bank accounts. If SAM could provide a postal address or even a P.O. Box, I will send the money in good faith...

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When those who donated were awarded 1000 reputation points, I thought to myself it will have a detrimental effect on the forum. Apart from one incident I noted i.e., Kinana was banned, an acrimonious issue ignited between 2 members of the forum. Another issue may be that should a new member with intent to cause mischief in the forum can ban other members at will or be real nasty without fear of losing enough points to get moderated. How is it possible to rein in a member who is a trouble-maker?

Kinana maybe an iritating fucktard, but I really think banning him was a bit harsh..

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't want donations. I don't need donations. However, I keep getting emails and PMs from members and guests [god knows from where] requesting that ...

After getting another couple of requests in the last fortnight, I decided that since the script was readily available, I might as well install it so that I could direct all volunteer donors to the appropriate page to see what happens ...
ppl ask u 2 allow dem 2 gif u moni, u allow ...

ppl ask u 2 dive in2 bedok reservoir, mrt tracks, sky garden, u dive anot? ... :rolleyes: ... ze reservoir, tracks n gardens r oredi there, u mite as wel juz go there n c wat happens ... :rolleyes:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Perhaps there are some of us, me included, who wanted to donate without the stigma that we are doing so not for the points but because we feel the burden of running and administering the site should not rest on the shoulders of the Sam alone. We all have a stake (interest) here, not to see it slowly wither away and go the way of the Dodo.

It is totally a different ball-game altogether when receiving donations.

I don't want donations. I don't need donations.I have been echoing the same response... that I don't need the money and there is no need to contribute.

After getting another couple of requests in the last fortnight, I decided that since the script was readily available, I might as well install it so that I could direct all volunteer donors to the appropriate page to see what happens.

So if you want to donate, the money will be used to pay the bills. If you don't want to donate, just carry on using the forum absolutely FOC.

It makes no difference to me. Donations aren't going to change my life and lack of donations aren't going cause the demise of the forum.

That explained some but all not of my concerns. Why give so much points to allow donors the power to infract and also ban other members, especially new members.

Your post said donations ensures continued success which is not true as you now said with or without donations does not matter.

My query about donating without receiving any points was not addressed.

Anyway thanks for the clarifications.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

There's nothing for me to address. Those who don't want points added to their nicks can easily create a new account and use it to make a donation and then abandon the account.

There is no compulsion to use the nick that everybody knows you by.

At the same time, I can't create a "premium membership" category and give absolutely nothing back after the payment is made. It would make the whole process look like a scam.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That explained some but all not of my concerns. Why give so much points to allow donors the power to infract and also ban other members, especially new members.

Your post said donations ensures continued success which is not true as you now said with or without donations does not matter.

Anyway thanks for the clarifications.

sinkie, this is just a forum, why you concern this and concern that. Crazy sinkie!!!

not happy then leave the forum lah.. siao one.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There's nothing for me to address. Those who don't want points added to their nicks can easily create a new account and use it to make a donation and then abandon the account.

At the same time, I can't create a "premium membership" category and give absolutely nothing back after the payment is made. It would make the whole process look like a scam.

So new members with 10 points can immediately begin infracting and ban other members since they have more than 700 points?

What if I still want the Premium tag without the points?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is people take this forum too seriously. When egos grow too big, and people blur the line between real life and cyber existence... That's when feelings get hurt.

Not talking about anybody in particular hor... Just speaking from experience having seen the wars here in the past few years.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
So new members with 10 points can immediately begin infracting and ban other members since they have more than 700 points?

What if I still want the Premium tag without the points?

??? :confused: If you don't want the points and the promotion, just tell me and at your request, I'll subtract everything you gained. :rolleyes:

redoubtable

Alfrescian
Loyal

The ensuing chaos is palpable.