• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SAF Armour Formation reminiscing thread

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
amour unit signalers siong man.

Every week kenna sent to attach here and there SAR units exercises and keep rotating until no home go back and burn weekends. knnbacb man!

Fuck up amoured exercises keep fixing and repairing their AMK 13 tanks during exercises.

Fuck PAP for cheap slavery abusing our youth life cho boh lan.

Fuck LKY man!

i only lousy rifleman, i dunno any of the top brass in armour. i know how to operate every single piece of weapons that a combat team have in its arsenal baring the 75mm SM1 main gun.

i agree armour very close but it due to the severe lack of manpower. during ns, platoon riflemen average only 10-15 per platoon, many sections led by 2IC because the sgt downgraded. my platoon only had 1 sgt sect comd. so instead of a company strength of 110-120 men, most armour company OCs led less than 100 inclusive of tank platoon, the signallers, ambulance driver, bikees, CQ, 84 teams etc etc... basically everyone know everyone inside the company. because my platoon stay on the same level with tankees and hq platoon, so we also every close. When SM1 throw tracks(happen as often as sunrise) in the field, AIs mostly will help and the tankee repay the favour at laager by cooking maggie mee. 84 teams most pitiful as they kenna throw ard to different tag team to increase fire support which mean they(3) ride in M113 that already had 9 person inside the trooper compartment. At laager, nobody will eat the horrid combat rations, all will cook using the vehicle as cover, portable radio tune to provide music while sect comd work out the duty roster for the night while AI PC and tank PC & PS attend commander briefing by OC on the coming mission.

i agree with pink dust damaging health, that why i rather it be wet on the field which is uncomfortable than hot and dry weather. almost without fail, the nosetril hairs turn reddish pink after every field training. i like being in armour, i happy like bird when kenna posting at commando jetty. since cannot go lobo vocation, might as well go for something i like.

Last edited:

vtran2684

Alfrescian
Loyal
3 leo2 per platoon? That dumb, not balance at all. Tank view very narrow, it always better to have another tank in support, machiam like Air Force wingman tactic. 4 tank platoon also better for fire movement. Hull down defense also better with 4 tanks as 2 can give covering fire while the other 2 race backward to pre-prepare positions to cover the front 2 when they hop backward.

Anyway trained tank crews are not as exposed as AI to dangers that may cause downgrade. So 90% of them will ord intact while AI are known to be half strength when ord. For example, during reservist, SM1 platoon full strength plus one spare driver and gunner each. But my platoon only has 2 sections because there only 9 riflemen in total.

If really only 3 tank platoon, that even less manpower. As for need more fuel and ammo, at least it the same types. Less complex. Ammo just restrict to 7.62, 120mm, some 5.56, smoke pots, 9mm and some atgm and that it. Got rid of matador, 84, 40mm grenade, mortar, landmines, claymore, Bangalore torpedo etc etc.... Also no need for many supplies that AI need to set defense fortifications. Ie... Iron pickets, coils upon coil of concentina, etc etc...

UK formations is always 4 tank per platoon. US too I believe.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
UK formations is always 4 tank per platoon. US too I believe.

SAF Armour formations are not based on UK or US. They are based on Israeli armour doctrine which is in turn based on Russian doctrine. In other words, its 3 of everything. eg. 3 tanks to a platoon, 3 platoons to a company, 3 companies to a battalion, 3 battalions to a brigade, etc.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SAF Armour formations are not based on UK or US. They are based on Israeli armour doctrine which is in turn based on Russian doctrine. In other words, its 3 of everything. eg. 3 tanks to a platoon, 3 platoons to a company, 3 companies to a battalion, 3 battalions to a brigade, etc.

That is interesting, because I was unaware that the Israeli armour doctrine is based on the Russian.

Do you know of MAJ Syed Ibrahim? Probably before your time. Attended MAF OCS, then Portsmouth, was apparently an "observer" at the 1973 Arab-Israeli War.
Made a local LTC and was Defence Attache at the SG Embassy in Jakarta.
He is the perfect example of an English Officer and a Gentleman.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
That is interesting, because I was unaware that the Israeli armour doctrine is based on the Russian.

Do you know of MAJ Syed Ibrahim? Probably before your time. Attended MAF OCS, then Portsmouth, was apparently an "observer" at the 1973 Arab-Israeli War.
Made a local LTC and was Defence Attache at the SG Embassy in Jakarta.
He is the perfect example of an English Officer and a Gentleman.

can't say I know him. but I doubt if he was an observer during the yom kippur war. the reason I say that is I know some armour chaps that were training in Israel at that time on the KP. The war caught the IDF by surprised and their training was immediately halted and they were evacuated to germany, If i recall correctly. The last think the world need to know was some dead bodies of sinkies in uniform, killed by the arabs. the Israelis were facing the real possibility of being wiped out, and I am pretty sure that the SAF would not want Ibrahim to be a POW.

wusangui

Alfrescian
Loyal
I serve at ATC from 96 to 98, used to be (RATC), CMDR my time was LTC ralph pattinson. he is very kuai lan, heard a lots of juicy stories about him in camp.heard from one of his runners that he is sungei gedong camp 2IC,when CAO not around, the leave form of CO 42 and 46 needs him to sign.he behaves like a little LKY in camp.heard say from one encilk , he was very sick when i return for reservists many years back. any bros know if he is still around?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I serve at ATC from 96 to 98, used to be (RATC), CMDR my time was LTC ralph pattinson. he is very kuai lan, heard a lots of juicy stories about him in camp.heard from one of his runners that he is sungei gedong camp 2IC,when CAO not around, the leave form of CO 42 and 46 needs him to sign.he behaves like a little LKY in camp.heard say from one encilk , he was very sick when i return for reservists many years back. any bros know if he is still around?

Recently, I heard that LTC RP passed away about 2 years ago, due to cancer.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank God! If it had gone the Hakka Lee way, it will be 1 of everything! Imagine that! We will be having 100 Leopard 2 divisions of tanks! We can call it the CPFHDB tank doctrine........mindboggling....

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
me fm 42sar.chow pte.AI serve 1 yr and 1 other yr in safsa.(in field, sch, home).collect pay every mth to envy of others. Yes, hv such thing; even Winston aware n approved. Even my gay CSM envied me that for his 20+yrs svc, he had not seen anything like this. Even my new CO tells me to "give it a go to ROC n do whatever when i return". That time lots of ex-Malaysian NCOS crossover.
Am supposedly geared to go NCO; but fake my intelligence, act blur in weaponry. To me, what diff in OCS n NCO? I rather OCS.But was given opportunity in MID b4 J.Morais, late John Ong to sign 6 yrs immediately in CDO which I really regret. To those who want clue, Im known as Tactical Idle in Army.