• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S$5m lawsuit: Woman who fell into manhole accepts earlier settlement offer from PUB

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore — The woman who fell into an open manhole and sued the PUB has accepted an earlier settlement offer from the national water agency.

Lawyers for Madam Chan Hui Peng, 47, accepted a settlement offer late on Thursday evening (Nov 26) after four days of hearings. The offer had been made on Nov 10 and its terms are confidential, according to channelnewsasia.com.

A lawyer for Mdm Chan was quoted as saying that the victim felt that the offer was “fair”.

Another lawyer, Mr Ivan Lee, who also acted for Mdm Chan, told The Straits Times(ST): “While our client would have liked to press on with the trial, the strain of the litigation over the past four days has taken a toll on her mental health and emotional well-being.”
Mr Lee added that Mdm Chan was choosing to move on with her life.

The lead counsel for PUB’s insurers, Mr K Anparasan, told ST that Mdm Chan’s acceptance of the settlement offer saved seven days of trial and cross-examination of expert witnesses on schizophrenia, which the victim claimed to have suffered after falling into the manhole in 2015.

The lawyer added that he would be making “strong submissions” regarding the victim’s conduct and how she “thwarted mediation” and dwelt on her claim of having suffered schizophrenia.

“It’s to send a strong signal out there for deterrence, having spent four days in court, what transpired,” channelnewsasia quoted him as saying, adding that it was possible that the costs could “eat into the damages”.

During the hearing on Tuesday (Nov 24), Mr Anparasan said Mdm Chan was faking her mental illness. He noted that in July, while she was at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH), she was lucid enough to ask for her handphone so she could talk to her lawyers about her lawsuit.

And on Wednesday (Nov 25), defence lawyers confronted Mdm Chan concerning her account on the online marketplace Carousell, showing she had received good reviews for more than three years.

One of the defendant’s lawyers, Ms Grace Tan, said that while Mdm Chan claimed that falling into the manhole had left her wary of meeting strangers, she had, in fact, met a number of buyers, who went on to leave good reviews about her.

At another point in the trial, Mdm Chan was asked by Mr Anparasan: “Will your lies stop today?”

On Friday morning (Nov 27), the two parties addressed the issue of costs before Judicial Commissioner Andre Maniam. Mdm Chan will then withdraw her claim against the PUB, issuing a notice of discontinuance.

The two sides said they will continue to discuss costs and then appear before the judge again next week for a hearing on costs and other consequential orders, if any.

The case

On the morning of Dec 1, 2015, Mdm Chan fell into a manhole in Kovan that was almost two metres deep. It was open at that time as it was undergoing inspection.

There were no warning signs or barricades to indicate an open manhole.

Three PUB officers who were there took her to a clinic, which referred her to Tan Tock Seng Hospital. She was admitted for a broken bone near her right ankle, contusions on her hip, trauma and other related injuries.

Mdm Chan continued to suffer physical and mental health issues and her condition affected her work. She said she lost a post as a chief financial officer in 2016 and obtained psychiatric help and further treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in 2017. /TISG

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/sing...earlier-settlement-offer-from-pub/ar-BB1bpruj

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
its much better this way

knowing our kangaroo circus system ,the judge would have found PUB guilty and awarded her $1 as damage and compensation

both parties bearing their own legal costs

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
KNN now my uncle wonder why some people need to rob and steal KNN just find a manhole without sign board to fall into and say it cause depression is much easier KNN
Yes, this is why I think it is a great income source. Depression, PTSD, anxiety and all the other wonderful mental fuckupness are a great way to earn money.

Today is Sunday, so I am free. I intend to roam the streets and other public spaces. Wish me luck!:biggrin:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, this is why I think it is a great income source. Depression, PTSD, anxiety and all the other wonderful mental fuckupness are a great way to earn money.

Today is Sunday, so I am free. I intend to roam the streets and other public spaces. Wish me luck!:biggrin:
KNN my uncle tried to leecall past cases and think that it must involve govt premises or property in order to have high success rate to sue and claim KNN no pun intended becas my uncle also know another lao jibye who fell from something leelated to govt (not convenient to state here becas it should be the 1st or few case in sg) KNN profiles of claimer are mostly lao jibyes in age range 45 to 50+ KNN

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
KNN my uncle tried to leecall past cases and think that it must involve govt premises or property in order to have high success rate to sue and claim KNN no pun intended becas my uncle also know another lao jibye who fell from something leelated to govt (not convenient to state here becas it should be the 1st or few case in sg) KNN profiles of claimer are mostly lao jibyes in age range 45 to 50+ KNN
KNN, everyone knows chenghu is rich, can afford to pay out. :biggrin:

knnccb

Alfrescian
Loyal

remem that time got one cakeleng bu want to sue npark say tree branch fall on her

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal

remember
路上的野花 don't anyhow pluck
otherwise later tio poison
haaaa

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
boring meh, u got so many sugar babies to feed, and they also feeding u :biggrin:
having a sugar baby is a personal lifetime commitment
but when the sugar baby grows up and matures, you must have the generosity to set her free and wish her all the best and remain good friends thereafter
from personal experience....