• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S’porean brain-dead after Medan robbery

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE — Mrs Lydia Toh, 34, who was on a business trip to Medan, Indonesia, took a taxi last Saturday evening with her supervisor from Aryaduta Hotel where they were staying to go out for dinner.

After they were done at about 10pm, they took a tuk-tuk back to the hotel as they could not get a taxi. On their way back, Mrs Toh’s handbag was grabbed by two men who were on a motorcycle. She fell face first to the ground, suffering a heavy fall and fracturing her skull.

Mrs Toh, an Executive Officer at Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU) Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, was pronounced brain dead on Sunday night after she was evacuated by air to the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).

According to NTU, Mrs Toh and her supervisor, Mr Alan Phua, was in Medan to administer the annual admissions entrance examination for international students.

After her fall, an unconscious Mrs Toh was rushed to the nearest hospital, Dr Pirngadi Kota Medan Hospital, located about 10 minutes away.

Her family was contacted and Mr Phua also called the Singapore Embassy and was advised that Colombia Asia Hospital was the best medical facility in Medan. With the consent of her family, Mrs Toh was transferred to the bigger hospital.

Associate Provost (Undergraduate Education) Kam Chan Hin said: “We are deeply saddened by what has happened and my staff and I, as well as NTU’s Senior Management, are doing all we can to assist and support the family ... NTU will spare no effort to seek the best medical expertise for her.”

According to Professor Kam, NTU Provost Freddy Boey and members of the university’s Senior Management visited Mrs Toh yesterday and spoke with her family members.

NTU will be footing all expenses, including the evacuation and hospital bills in Singapore and Medan.

Mrs Toh is currently warded at SGH’s Intensive Care Unit. The family intends to keep her on life support for as long as possible.

Speaking to TODAY at SGH, Mrs Toh’s elder sister, Mdm Joanne Koh, said: “She was supposed to fly back on Sunday, in time to see her new furniture. She and her husband had their bed custom-made. They just renovated their house ... Now she doesn’t have the chance to use it.”

Mdm Koh added that Mrs Toh had planned to go to Europe next month. “While in Medan, she messaged her husband, ‘when I get back, let’s go book the tickets together’.”

Upon hearing the news, Mdm Koh and Mrs Toh’s husband took the first flight out of Singapore to Medan on Sunday morning. They arrived at Medan at about 8.30am local time.

Mrs Toh, accompanied by her husband, flew out of Medan about two hours later.

Mdm Koh said she was disappointed with NTU’s handling of the matter. Among other things, she said that although International SOS (iSOS) had an account with NTU, it took the university more than four hours to go through the procedure to allow the expenses to be charged to their account.

This was a critical delay that her sister could not afford, she said.

According to NTU, the iSOS representative said the Medan airport had closed for the day as it did not operate around the clock. Preparations had to be made by iSOS, including to source for an aircraft and ensure it had the relevant equipment and materials on-board.

Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which provided consular assistance to Mrs Toh and Mr Phua in Medan, said the Indonesian police is investigating the incident.

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have always said the sane thing. Singaporeans are very poor travellers, very unsafe I would say. They took for granted the safety in Singapore and failed to display even the simplest of street intelligence while overseas.

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even within Singapore, there are areas like Geylang where your risk goes up ten times after dark..

The only danger in Geylang is, all those chickens waving at me :(

The most dangerous place is actually those foreign workers dorm. I have heard alot of rapes going on at those areas that never made the news.

siongkia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In many other places you just have to heighten your alertness and safety - mindedness. This will help in your overall awareness and lessen the chances of personal harm to yourself.Many singaporeans are so protected and safe here that their survival quotient is very low, making them easy prey when they travel.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Share some of the stories leh.

The most dangerous place is actually those foreign workers dorm. I have heard alot of rapes going on at those areas that never made the news.

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Share some of the stories leh.

One case was a PRC graduate, came here to work as an admin and the company put her up at the dorm in Tuas. Went back late one day due to OT and got raped by 3 Indians. The girl committed suicide in the end. Both news not reported. I pity those serangoon gardens residents.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
someone must question the University's HSSE policy.
Normally, when we travel as tourist, we would be trying local fare and dishes, so must venture out to eat.
I this case, it was a business trip, so they should have hired a car/limo to the restaurant and make the driver wait.
If this cannot be done, then have to eat in the hotel.
In any case, this kind of thing can happen anywhere.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
A 34 yr old S’porean woman brain-dead after Medan robbery

SINGAPORE — Mrs Lydia Toh, 34, who was on a business trip to Medan, Indonesia, took a taxi last Saturday evening with her supervisor from Aryaduta Hotel where they were staying to go out for dinner.

After they were done at about 10pm, they took a tuk-tuk back to the hotel as they could not get a taxi. On their way back, Mrs Toh’s handbag was grabbed by two men who were on a motorcycle. She fell face first to the ground, suffering a heavy fall and fracturing her skull.

Mrs Toh, an Executive Officer at Nanyang Technological University’s (NTU) Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, was pronounced brain dead on Sunday night after she was evacuated by air to the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).

According to NTU, Mrs Toh and her supervisor, Mr Alan Phua, was in Medan to administer the annual admissions entrance examination for international students.

After her fall, an unconscious Mrs Toh was rushed to the nearest hospital, Dr Pirngadi Kota Medan Hospital, located about 10 minutes away.

Her family was contacted and Mr Phua also called the Singapore Embassy and was advised that Colombia Asia Hospital was the best medical facility in Medan. With the consent of her family, Mrs Toh was transferred to the bigger hospital.

Associate Provost (Undergraduate Education) Kam Chan Hin said: “We are deeply saddened by what has happened and my staff and I, as well as NTU’s Senior Management, are doing all we can to assist and support the family ... NTU will spare no effort to seek the best medical expertise for her.”

According to Professor Kam, NTU Provost Freddy Boey and members of the university’s Senior Management visited Mrs Toh yesterday and spoke with her family members.

NTU will be footing all expenses, including the evacuation and hospital bills in Singapore and Medan.

Mrs Toh is currently warded at SGH’s Intensive Care Unit. The family intends to keep her on life support for as long as possible.

Speaking to TODAY at SGH, Mrs Toh’s elder sister, Mdm Joanne Koh, said: “She was supposed to fly back on Sunday, in time to see her new furniture. She and her husband had their bed custom-made. They just renovated their house ... Now she doesn’t have the chance to use it.”

Mdm Koh added that Mrs Toh had planned to go to Europe next month. “While in Medan, she messaged her husband, ‘when I get back, let’s go book the tickets together’.”

Upon hearing the news, Mdm Koh and Mrs Toh’s husband took the first flight out of Singapore to Medan on Sunday morning. They arrived at Medan at about 8.30am local time.

Mrs Toh, accompanied by her husband, flew out of Medan about two hours later.

Mdm Koh said she was disappointed with NTU’s handling of the matter. Among other things, she said that although International SOS (iSOS) had an account with NTU, it took the university more than four hours to go through the procedure to allow the expenses to be charged to their account.

This was a critical delay that her sister could not afford, she said.

According to NTU, the iSOS representative said the Medan airport had closed for the day as it did not operate around the clock. Preparations had to be made by iSOS, including to source for an aircraft and ensure it had the relevant equipment and materials on-board.

Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which provided consular assistance to Mrs Toh and Mr Phua in Medan, said the Indonesian police is investigating the incident.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: A 34 yr old S’porean woman brain-dead after Medan robbery

What kind of business does NTU have in Medan:confused:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: A 34 yr old S’porean woman brain-dead after Medan robbery

What kind of business does NTU have in Medan:confused:

Didn't you read? They were there to help get more foreign talent to Singapore. But of all the 3rd world countries, they must choose Indo.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
any photo of that brain dead???

or is there anyone say must respect the dead so as not to post any photo..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
she got killed by the very type of ppl she suspose to recruit for ntu.

i not going to shed a tear for her.

my siggies strike again.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cannot be !, the MIW that allowed the construction of the dormitory at Serangoon Garden, say it is safe..they will build a GREAT WALL to keep the 'barbarians' out...

ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Many Singaporeans are brain dead at birth but they're capable of living their lives without the need for a brain anyway so it doesn't really matter.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkees are very good target. far far havent see face already hear singlish accent liaoz. (lang buay gao, sia seng gao)