• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S’pore needs to attract new immigrants: DPM Teo

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
During last year's GE, they said they heard our complaints, our cries. They apologised and said they will do better. They know that the opening of the floodgates for FTs is a sore point amongst Sporeans. And yet now......... The butt screwing has started yet again. Lets line up, pull our pants down and bend over.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pore-needs-attract-immigrants-dpm-teo-103531625.html

Identifying the year ahead as a "demographic tipping point" for Singapore, Deputy Prime Minister (DPM) Teo Chee Hean emphasised the need for the country to continue attracting new immigrants.

According to Channel NewsAsia (CNA), Teo said this is because the first cohort of post-war baby boomers — those born between 1947 and 1965 —will start turning 65 from this year.

Singapore will experience an "unprecedented age shift, as over 900,000 baby boomers, more than a quarter of the current citizen population, retire from the workforce and enter their silver years" from now till 2030, Teo explained, as reported by CNA.

Speaking in Parliament during the Committee of Supply Debate, the Minister of Home Affairs also said that without immigration, more than 1 in 4 citizens will be 65 years old and older in 2030 given the current birth rates.

According to CNA, the median age of Singapore citizens will rise to from 39 today to 47, then to 53 post-2030.

This means that there will be fewer working adults supporting the older citizens.

"Without immigration, we will face a shrinking workforce and the prospect of a shrinking economy," said Teo. "This challenging situation is compounded by the need to support a significantly larger elderly population at the same time."

What is most important now is to "develop a sustainable population strategy that will maintain the vitality of Singapore, strengthen our harmonious multi-ethnic society, and enable Singaporeans to achieve their life aspirations", added the DPM.

When asked by Intan Azura Mokhtar, MP for Ang Mo Kio, if the ministry grants permanent residence (PR) more easily to the foreign spouses of Singaporeans, Teo said that it is not a given.

Various factors are taken into consideration when the application for PR for the non-citizen spouse is assessed, including the duration of marriage, his or her length of stay in Singapore and whether the married couple has children who are Singapore citizens.

Citizens who sponsor their foreign spouses for PR status will also have to show that they are able to support them financially, Teo added.

Those who do not qualify for PR status may be granted a Long Term Visit Pass, which allows them to seek employment here.

The ministry is currently studying how to further help Singaporean families with foreign spouses, especially those with children who are citizens, Teo added.

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notice that he automatically assumes that the bulk of foreign spouses need to supported by their Singaporean half. Added like an afterthought but all so enlightening on their thinking on migration.

And he never mentions the other sacred cow that is the question of dual-citizenship. Which is linked to the other cows that are CPF and HDB.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This means that there will be fewer working adults supporting the older citizens.

What happens to the CPF scheme and the CPF life policy? Why would we have this in place?, if the government has no confidence and have to resort to the ideas that we need new young immigrants to support our greying citizens?

SimplyGab

Alfrescian
Loyal
The influx of immigrants brought about myriad of social problems. It may appear as a favourable measure to tackle issues of aging population and low birth rates, but it does not solve the social problems such as rising crimes against Singaporeans and diluting the unique asian values that Singaporeans preserve.

'Uniquely Singapore' no more.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to CNA, the median age of Singapore citizens will rise to from 39 today to 47, then to 53 post-2030.

I better start increasing my contributions to my personal retirement fund. Knowing PAP, they will use this later on to increase CPF withdrawal age to a very high age for my generation, I may be died before I can get my CPF money. But it's gonna be difficult to set aside more money for retirement as a lot of my expenditure are for my two kids, and raising children is increasingly expensive in Singapore. I also need to aside money for their future university education.

Like people say, PAP = Pay And Pay... until you die.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Singapore is like a very rich man in hot pursuit of a girl, showering her with expensive gifts everyday, but the girl’s heart is with somebody else and while she may accept his gifts, she will not be together with him, just like me, my heart is with China, my fatherland. It’s a fact which cannot be changed. I will forever be thankful to Singapore, but gratitude is not love.”
- ex-MOE PRC scholar on why she left Singapore eventually to return to China

lol. PAP thinks that just because they are rich, the world is their oyster. They can buy love anywhere whatever they want. But the truth is, $ is not everything. At least this china gal got backbone. lol

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
More Ah Tiongs! More Pinoys! More Ah Nehs!

Long live Singapore!

Its all the rich game of the PAP. with this influx! the REAL wages of Singaporeans will never increase.

if you do not know what i mean by REAL wages, ask an economist...

REAL wages will never increase, but land/property prices will increase. The younger generation will have to pay through their nose to purchase a home, no money to retire.

murphy

Alfrescian
Loyal
DPM Teo is very wise.

My personal view is that Sinkies are so sheltered lot. They get cheap housing, high pay for doing nothing. So it is good that the country bring in people who are willing to work hard for their housing....

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should not cut off the flow of those foreign workers who work in sectors that locals shun like construction and cleaning.

They should cut off the flow of new Indians who work in sectors like finance, IT, banking, as these sectors are where locals can and will work!

beegs

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should not cut off the flow of those foreign workers who work in sectors that locals shun like construction and cleaning.

They should cut off the flow of new Indians who work in sectors like finance, IT, banking, as these sectors are where locals can and will work!
yes ,very true this should be the way but on the ground the sg are working under the FT.
many sg are reporting to them

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“Singapore is like a very rich man in hot pursuit of a girl, showering her with expensive gifts everyday, but the girl’s heart is with somebody else and while she may accept his gifts, she will not be together with him, just like me, my heart is with China, my fatherland. It’s a fact which cannot be changed. I will forever be thankful to Singapore, but gratitude is not love.”
- ex-MOE PRC scholar on why she left Singapore eventually to return to China
lol. PAP thinks that just because they are rich, the world is their oyster. They can buy love anywhere whatever they want. But the truth is, $ is not everything. At least this china gal got backbone. lol

A lot of people who go overseas feel that way too and return to their motherland, including Singaporeans.
The point here is why are you denying Singaporean chances?

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of people who go overseas feel that way too and return to their motherland, including Singaporeans.
The point here is why are you denying Singaporean chances?

But other countries rich man do not need to use desperate tactics like sg.
Showering her with expensive gifts everyday.
Other countries rich man the gals automatically flock to them and shower them with love.
That rich man chose the best he love and reject the rest, that's why rest of gals
all go back to heir homeland.
That's the different between a rich winner and rich loser.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal

"Without immigration, we will face a shrinking workforce and the prospect of a shrinking economy," said Teo. "This challenging situation is compounded by the need to support a significantly larger elderly population at the same time."

This is what I really don't understand. The government keeps harping on supporting the old but do we really support our old through the young?

Now, this statement will only be true in one of two scenarios

1. We pay tax, they government use the tax to support our old. We know that this is not true since we are not a welfare state and the government is vehemently against this idea.

2. The old refers to our parents and thus therefore, it is true. But wait! What the fuck has foreign talents got to do in this instance? Do we seriously expect that they will come and support OUR PARENTS?

So that leaves me with one conclusion - It is all a damn lie and what they are really after, is more income tax to feed their million dollar salary and the gambling habits of one incompetent woman.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP strategy is to confuse and screw the people in-n-out. Different minister will adopt different post to maximise their organsm On one hand, Tharman adopted straight missionary style that foreigners will be tightened, than came Lim Swee Say wanting us to bear the pain in doggie style. Now Teo Chee Heng do a helicopter style that foreigners are needed.

This is called attack and defend, forthcoming and yet withdrawal symtom such that PAP do not want people to know exactly what was on their mind when Hougang by-election is still pending

jw5

Loyal
Ole silver spoons should tell us what he thinks is the average IQ of a foreign "talent" coming to our shores.

Saw a hilarious incident recently at a coffee shop.
This foreign "talent" bought a bowl of hot noodles at a coffee shop and sat down at a table with his friend, who was already eating.
He wanted to put the tray on the bench seat so that they would have more room to eat. (fair enough so far)
You know what he did?

He put the tray with the bowl of hot noodles on the bench, picked up the bowl from the tray on the bench, and put the bowl of hot noodles on the table.
Job done, he proceeded to enjoy his meal with a satisfied look on his face.
Would anyone like to guess the nationality of this chap?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ole silver spoons should tell us what he thinks is the average IQ of a foreign "talent" coming to our shores.

Saw a hilarious incident recently at a coffee shop.
This foreign "talent" bought a bowl of hot noodles at a coffee shop and sat down at a table with his friend, who was already eating.
He wanted to put the tray on the bench seat so that they would have more room to eat. (fair enough so far)
You know what he did?

He put the tray with the bowl of hot noodles on the bench, picked up the bowl from the tray on the bench, and put the bowl of hot noodles on the table.
Job done, he proceeded to enjoy his meal with a satisfied look on his face.
Would anyone like to guess the nationality of this chap?

I ever saw a PRC did that before, though Ah Neh is quite likely too. Once I saw an Ah Neh held a laundry pail in one hand and hang his cloth on the other.:oIo:

jw5

Loyal
I ever saw a PRC did that before, though Ah Neh is quite likely too. Once I saw an Ah Neh held a laundry pail in one hand and hang his cloth on the other.:oIo:

Bro, the clue is don't ever hire this chap as a hostage negotiator.
Come to think of it, after the performance with the bowl, don't hire him for anything.