• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
The unofficial reasons for the scrapping seem odd given that the intra-iskandar rail, RTS and HSR serve different segments. My hunch is that the authorities are simply saying no to Masteel's proposal, but not scrapping the idea of an intra-iskandar transit system altogether. To be honest, when I heard of Masteel's proposal, I was not excited, simply because it used old technology (diesel powered trains running on old tracks, one alignment even being single-tracked). If a rail transit system is to be introduced, do a proper one lah - like a modern LRT system that is properly aligned along the new and upcoming population centers, not one adapted from tracks originally aligned to serve goods transportation or old population centers.

Last edited:

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But the 2 Prime Ministers of Singapore and Malaysia still will go ahead with link up between Thomson Line and JBCC.

That is not a rumour.

Last edited:

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR, RTS crucial to Iskandar

Aug 26, 2013 - PropertyGuru.com.my
Iskandar Malaysia's upcoming transportation systems should be completed on time so that more people will live and work within the area, according to the Real Estate and Housing Developers' Association of Malaysia (REHDA Johor branch).

The rapid transit system (RTS) and the high-speed rail (HSR) link between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are essential to Iskandar's economic growth, said REHDA Johor Chairman Koh Moo Hing.

“The projects (HSR and RTS) will be catalysts to boost Iskandar Malaysia … The wider the transport connectivity within the corridor, the better it will be as it will benefit those living in Singapore, Iskandar Malaysia and other areas nearby,” he noted.

However, the region needs to improve the skills of its workforce and attract other international investors for it to succeed.

“That is why Iskandar Malaysia needs a modern transportation system with a wide connectivity,” said Koh, adding that the country's property market would also benefit from this fast and extensive transportation network.

The completion of the HSR and RTS projects is also expected to further boost other catalytic projects in the region like Educity, Legoland Malaysia and Puteri Harbour.

“The investors are confident the completion of the two transportation projects will enable Iskandar Malaysia to progress to a higher level,” he added.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the 2 Prime Ministers of Singapore and Malaysia still will go ahead with link up between Thomson Line and JBCC.

That is not a rumour.

If RTS comes true, many will be rushing to buy landed and condos in JB and rent out their Singapore properties esp. Now with the strict CM. Because commuting to work and school will be so much more convenient and we won't even need a Singapore car anymore, just buy a cheap Malaysian one. It will be good to solve overcrowding in Singapore and for Singaporeans to earn passive income from their hubs , upgrade their living to condo or landed and save on cost of living. Perhaps now, that is why there are so many condos coming up in Iskandar.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is not a rumour.

until the m'sia pm get knocked out of umno top spot and have to step down as pm. which i hope won't happen as i think najib doing a decent job

thinkandgrowth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.jb compared to sg is still quite undeveloped so Bus system may make more economy sense than intra state mrt,RTS/HSR much important as it bring more economy value by linking sg-jb-KL.with more foreign talent (executive type ) reside in jb in future,should see better security/lower crime rate,and by them the bus system copy more or less from sg is good enough to encourage more local ppl taking public transport,taxi seevice is also included in their plan too which is still cheap compare w spore.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, it is no big deal as cars are cheap in Malaysia and most people drive anyway.

train is good for when you are sick of the jam. esp if there is connection btw the train station and the future station that connect to woodland mrt.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think many are mixed up with the High Speed Rail (HTS)and the Rapid Transit System(RTS).
The HTS is a national project and also a joint project with SG to run high speed trains from SG to KL and JB being the first stop.
And being a national project, it'll will be fully funded by the Federal.
Whereas the RTS is only a state project that benefits the Johor state so funding may be an issue especially with the commitments on HTS.
And frankly, JB CANNOT support an intercity rail system with such a low population where almost everyone, even an admin clerk is driving (look at the amount of cars parked all over the place in the CIQ).
And you still see people driving around cars 30 years old and are falling apart all over JB.
And look at the public transport system like the buses, its only full during morning and evening peaks and other times, running almost empty.
Then the fare, you can take the bus from city to say Tun Aminah or Terbrau city for only RM2.
So how much for the RTS fare and also to make money??
Building the RTS is huge capital investment with very heavy operation cost and all these must be feasible to recover cost.
I had anticipated that RTS is all NATO and is actually waiting for the announcement that the RTS will be scrapped.
The winner here maybe is MASTEEL itself as they may be compensated handsomely or at least appropriately for project cancellation, just like that abandon CIQ "Crooked Bridge saga".

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think many are mixed up with the High Speed Rail (HTS)and the Rapid Transit System(RTS).
The HTS is a national project and also a joint project with SG to run high speed trains from SG to KL and JB being the first stop.
Whereas the RTS is only a state project that benefits the Johor state so funding may be an issue especially with the commitments on HTS.
And frankly, JB CANNOT support an intercity rail system with such a low population where almost everyone, even an admin clerk is driving (look at the amount of cars parked all over the place in the CIQ).
And you still see people driving around cars 30 years old and are falling apart all over JB.
And look at the public transport system like the buses, its only full during morning and evening peaks and other times, running almost empty.
Then the fare, you can take the bus from city to say Tun Aminah or Terbrau city for only RM2.
Building the RTS is huge capital investment with very heavy operation cost and all these must be feasible to recover cost.
I had anticipated that RTS is all NATO and is actually waiting for the announcement that the RTS will be scrapped.
The winner here maybe is MASTEEL itself as they may be compensated handsomely or at least appropriately for project cancellation, just like that abandon CIQ "Crooked Bridge saga".

RTS will be built bcoz SG is keen to have more Malaysian workers. Commuter is a stretch as there r not many reasons y locals shd take train rather than ride bikes or drive cars. But it will take off if COE is imposed on vehicles n taxi fares r raised in JB.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
the MRT still on.. only RTS cancel. RTS is like the KTM kommuter in KL

An agent from "Hxxxxxx" in Sg sent me a flyer advertising "D xxxxxxx" with the RTS map showing its next to a station. I asked him how come he's so sure of where teh statiosn will be when its yet to eb confirmed, he didnt get back to me.

cascadia

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is HSR instead...

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This agent must be thinking about Legoland, where he can take Chu Chu train from one corner to the other.

An agent from "Hxxxxxx" in Sg sent me a flyer advertising "D xxxxxxx" with the RTS map showing its next to a station. I asked him how come he's so sure of where teh statiosn will be when its yet to eb confirmed, he didnt get back to me.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
RTS will be built bcoz SG is keen to have more Malaysian workers. Commuter is a stretch as there r not many reasons y locals shd take train rather than ride bikes or drive cars. But it will take off if COE is imposed on vehicles n taxi fares r raised in JB.

I think funding it is a problem. If the private operator fnds it, to recoup they will have to charge premium fares which commuters wont be willing to pay. Johoreans would prefer to just work in JB or elsewhere than spend money commuting here. I have recently met a few Johoreans who gave up their jobs in SG becos they found that the 2 choices avaialble , i.e spend time commuting daily or hardly save anything when you earn and spend in SG for rent/ food etc were not attractive. They told me they preferred working in MY and spending in MY , less tiring, better quality of life. MY govt may not be so keen to fund the RTS as its mainly to help SG get workers and they will also have more problems getting skilled workers for Iskandar. So this could be one main reason its being scrapped or at least shelved.There may be a line bringing workers to a central station from Woodlands, e.g JB Sentral funded by SG gahment, but the internal line, I doubt will go ahead anytime soon.
Its also about politics. Locals woudl rather the govt spent money on housing and other benefits, they may not be so grateful for the RTS.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think funding it is a problem. If the private operator fnds it, to recoup they will have to charge premium fares which commuters wont be willing to pay. Johoreans would prefer to just work in JB or elsewhere than spend money commuting here. I have recently met a few Johoreans who gave up their jobs in SG becos they found that the 2 choices avaialble , i.e spend time commuting daily or hardly save anything when you earn and spend in SG for rent/ food etc were not attractive. They told me they preferred working in MY and spending in MY , less tiring, better quality of life. MY govt may not be so keen to fund the RTS as its mainly to help SG get workers and they will also have more problems getting skilled workers for Iskandar. So this could be one main reason its being scrapped or at least shelved.There may be a line bringing workers to a central station from Woodlands, e.g JB Sentral funded by SG gahment, but the internal line, I doubt will go ahead anytime soon.
Its also about politics. Locals woudl rather the govt spent money on housing and other benefits, they may not be so grateful for the RTS.

To build the RTS, only one simple reason is needed to justify - sufficient ridership.
Without sufficient ridership, you can't even support the operation cost, what more capital recovery, and JB just do not have enough commuters.
The RTS is extremely massive and costly to build so who will fund a project that cannot make money?
But don't forget we still have the HSR (provided its not scrapped later) which will come from SG with JB as the first stop before heading to KL.
Those Malaysians can still take this service from JB to SG and continue with the linked MRT system.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
To build the RTS, only one simple reason is needed to justify - sufficient ridership.
Without sufficient ridership, you can't even support the operation cost, what more capital recovery, and JB just do not have enough commuters.
The RTS is extremely massive and costly to build so who will fund a project that cannot make money?
But don't forget we still have the HSR (provided its not scrapped later) which will come from SG with JB as the first stop before heading to KL.
Those Malaysians can still take this service from JB to SG and continue with the linked MRT system.

After the RTS is built, don't u think pple from other parts of MY will choose to stay at JB and take the train to SG to work ?? Singaporeans will also stay at JB for bigger space n lower costs .