• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I am saying is why not implement this electronic system instead of key in and stamping of passport?

Yah... why can't the Johor CIQ implement this? It will move the queue faster.

It would be nice if we could have a queue using electronic system that lumps together "Singapore and Malaysian Passport holders only". Even with the immigration officer serving visitors, they don't take our thumb prints or our face photo. So I don't see any difference with an electronic system.

It would be even more fantastic if we could walk in and out of Johor without passports. But this would be impossible because of the predominance of a certain race and religion linked to terrorism. And the chance of smuggling of drugs and guns is too high.

As long as the above cannot be resolved, no way can the traffic jams be reduced. The HSR nor RTS can't help also.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone has then own priorities and tolerant level. I believe you are forced into this sacrifice (of daily crossing) because of your situation and also the provision for your family (bigger house, bigger car, etc) today.

I had come across several Johoreans who had once worked in Singapore. Once, they get married and set up a family, they would rather stop working in Singapore, despite the lower salaries in JB. They claimed that even if they were to rent a room in Singapore, it will then deprive a significant part of their Singapore income, not to mention more for food and other expenses as well.

Yup.

On the other hand, my Malaysian and China colleagues won't even want to entertain such an idea. Some of them are even comfortably settled down as Singapore PR or Singaporeans. The cheaper cost of living and housing are not strong enough to attract them to live such a lifestyle.

It's very clear whether such a lifestyle is feasible or not. Especially those with both spouses working, have kids who go to schools in SG. And some have close links to friends and extended families, such as grandparents in Singapore. Safety aspect is also high on the minds of Singaporeans. Quality of life is important also. I don't believe those who go in and out every day between SG and Johor lead the same kind of lifestyles as those who live and work in Singapore. Some essential things have to be sacrificed.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would be even more fantastic if we could walk in and out of Johor without passports.
Once upon a time, there was this idea. Somehow, as with the Malaysian policy makers, many are just hearsay only.

Malaysia to create passport-free zones for foreigners

KUALA LUMPUR, November 3, 2006 (bdnews24.com/Reuters) - Visitors from Singapore entering certain areas in Malaysia's southern Johor state will be exempt from immigration and customs clearance in a bid to draw more tourists, a newspaper said on Friday.

The new regulation would not limit how long visitors can stay in the free access zones that would stretch from the present checkpoint at the causeway to Stulang Laut in Johor Baru and from Gelang Patah to the Port of Tanjung Pelepas, the New Straits Times said.

"The idea is to promote cross border activities such as tourism," the newspaper quoted Johor Economic Planning Unit deputy director Mohd Noorazam Osman as saying.
"Foreigners can live and work in the free access zones or live in the free access zones and travel to work in Singapore."

The move to create the free access zones are part of a government plan to develop Johor into a new economic growth area similar to Shenzhen, the booming southern Chinese port city.

Johor is separated from Singapore by a tiny strip of water. Malaysia and Singapore, which split in 1965 after a brief union in the years following independence from Britain, have deep economic ties, but diplomatic ties have sometimes been prickly.

Anyway, even if implemented, it will be of not much use because when exiting/returning from/to Singapore, the jam will still be there because of the deliberation by the Singapore side. Surely they can think of ways to better improve the flow, but.........

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once upon a time, there was this idea. Somehow, as with the Malaysian policy makers, many are just hearsay only.

Anyway, even if implemented, it will be of not much use because when returning to Singapore, the jam will still be there because of the deliberation by the Singapore side. Surely they can think of ways to better improve the flow, but.........

I remember those days we have this blue colored restricted passport for travel between Singapore and Malaysia.
Wonder why they do away with it.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember those days we have this blue colored restricted passport for travel between Singapore and Malaysia.
Wonder why they do away with it.
What difference does it makes with the current red passport, other than cheaper application charges for the blue ones? It was only to cater to those Singaporeans who don't want to pay for the dearer International passports in order to travel only to Malaysia.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
What difference does it makes with the current red passport, other than cheaper application charges for the blue ones? It was only for those Singaporeans who don't want to pay for the dearer International passports in order to travel only to Malaysia.

As long as Singapore maintain a strict immigration policy as it main priority..nothing can solve this problem. Only way is to open more links and deploy more personnel. No one can blame them.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
All new Malaysian passport has this microchip embedded in it. We never need to have it stamped at KLIA airport. Just place it on the electronic sensor and thumbprint, it automatically read and record. And it is so fast. You never see any long lines at the airport for Malaysians.
No need to key in. No need to stamp until no pages left.

Singapore had already implemented this for Singaporeans years ago, especially at Changi Airport. On the first page, it's already stated: "This passport contains a chip and antenna embedded in the data page. Please handle with care". And I believe this is among the requirement for ease of access into America.

Malaysia is the first nation on earth to have chips embedded in passport.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone has then own priorities and tolerant level. I believe you are forced into this sacrifice (of daily crossing) because of your situation and also the provision for your family (bigger house, bigger car, etc) today.

I had come across several Johoreans who had once worked in Singapore. Once, they get married and set up a family, they would rather stop working in Singapore, despite the lower salaries in JB. They claimed that even if they were to rent a room in Singapore, it will then deprive a significant part of their Singapore income, not to mention more for food and other expenses as well.

I won't exactly say we were forced into moving to JB, as staying put in our pigeon hole:wink: was certainly possible, though that would be considered a non-action, with its consequences of course which we just have to suck it up. But there were strong pull and even stronger push factors that over-weighed the commuting inconveniences. Commuting by bike is tough but I would hesitate to call it hardship or suffering. Hardship would be those MY workers who crossed over to Singapore and do hard labour jobs under the hot sun. I just sit in air-con office.:p

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup.

On the other hand, my Malaysian and China colleagues won't even want to entertain such an idea. Some of them are even comfortably settled down as Singapore PR or Singaporeans. The cheaper cost of living and housing are not strong enough to attract them to live such a lifestyle.

It's very clear whether such a lifestyle is feasible or not. Especially those with both spouses working, have kids who go to schools in SG. And some have close links to friends and extended families, such as grandparents in Singapore. Safety aspect is also high on the minds of Singaporeans. Quality of life is important also. I don't believe those who go in and out every day between SG and Johor lead the same kind of lifestyles as those who live and work in Singapore. Some essential things have to be sacrificed.

Some people will choose to remain in Singapore (even though cost of living is cheaper in JB) because they can afford to do so. As you said, the comforts and conveniences they have in Singapore is worth the premium in cost of living. But I do agree with you on the last part, that those who live in JB and work in SG do not experience the same lifestyles as those who work and live in SG. However in my case, we have a better overall lifestyle. Basically what I "sacrifice" is the convenience of commuting to work if I am still living in Singapore. But overall the gains my family derived are much more. My wife and kids are happy with the additional space we have now. And the irony is that we have SG friends visiting us more often in JB than when we were still living in SG! Not to mention that the cost savings are significant too.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as Singapore maintain a strict immigration policy as it main priority..nothing can solve this problem. Only way is to open more links and deploy more personnel. No one can blame them.

If SG side employs more officers and keep all lanes open and functioning during peak hours, that would already go a long way.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From phrase 2 Astaka Padu. Can you guys see a station with track?

image-2.jpg

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel Astaka has something up its sleeves. There's a lot of powerful people that have vested interest in this project.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of us are astute enough to know all about artist's impressions or developer's marketing models and hype. Even if this developer is possibly connected, which I don't deny, the RTS needs 2 hands to clap, the connection to only one hand may not suffice.
Like everyone else here who is vested in Iskandar, we all look fwd to RTS but unfortunately until I can set foot in an RTS coach and feel it move, I will take all talk about RTS with a handful of salt (and belachan).

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of us are astute enough to know all about artist's impressions or developer's marketing models and hype. Even if this developer is possibly connected, which I don't deny, the RTS needs 2 hands to clap, the connection to only one hand may not suffice.
Like everyone else here who is vested in Iskandar, we all look fwd to RTS but unfortunately until I can set foot in an RTS coach and feel it move, I will take all talk about RTS with a handful of salt (and belachan).

To be honest, I am not quite sure about this Phase 2. As a Liverpool fan, let's get a spade in the ground for Phase 1 first.......

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR news in today's Straits Times!

We might just see a revival of interest/demand in Iskankar properties after July this year! Especially those in flagship B. :biggrin:

Hope things take off well....

July 15, 2016

Singapore and Malaysia to sign MOU on high speed rail project

KUALA LUMPUR • Malaysia and Singapore will sign a memorandum of understanding on Tuesday as they take a step forward to build a high-speed rail (HSR) linking Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, the New Straits Times (NST) newspaper reported yesterday.

The signing ceremony will be held at Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's official residence in Putrajaya and will be witnessed by his Singapore counterpart, Mr Lee Hsien Loong.

The proposed 350km-long HSR line will have one terminus in a new township called Bandar Malaysia at the edge of Kuala Lumpur, with the other in Jurong East.

The fast-speed train link will cut travelling time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to 90 minutes, compared with more than four hours by car.

The HSR line will have double tracks, the report said.

NST said the HSR will have five transit stations in Seremban (Negeri Sembilan state), Ayer Keroh (Malacca), and Muar, Batu Pahat and Iskandar Puteri in Johor.

Iskandar Puteri is the new name for Nusajaya.

The memorandum will pave the way for detailed negotiations on the main bilateral agreement, which is expected to be signed by the end of this year, the paper said.

The signing will be "a major milestone in terms of getting all the basic ground rules that will set the future direction of the HSR project", NST quoted a source as saying.

It previously reported that the project has been estimated to cost between RM60 billion (S$21 billion) and RM65 billion, based on a US$10 million (S$13 million) per kilometre estimate for the systems and tracks.

The civil infrastructure work is expected to cost three times more than that, the report said.

A spokesman for Singapore's Ministry of Transport told The Straits Times: "We are working towards signing the MOU on July 19. We are still in the process of confirming the details."

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR news in today's Straits Times!

We might just see a revival of interest/demand in Iskankar properties after July this year! Especially those in flagship B. :biggrin:

Hope things take off well....

July 15, 2016

Singapore and Malaysia to sign MOU on high speed rail project

KUALA LUMPUR • Malaysia and Singapore will sign a memorandum of understanding on Tuesday as they take a step forward to build a high-speed rail (HSR) linking Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, the New Straits Times (NST) newspaper reported yesterday.

The signing ceremony will be held at Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's official residence in Putrajaya and will be witnessed by his Singapore counterpart, Mr Lee Hsien Loong.

The proposed 350km-long HSR line will have one terminus in a new township called Bandar Malaysia at the edge of Kuala Lumpur, with the other in Jurong East.

The fast-speed train link will cut travelling time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to 90 minutes, compared with more than four hours by car.

The HSR line will have double tracks, the report said.

NST said the HSR will have five transit stations in Seremban (Negeri Sembilan state), Ayer Keroh (Malacca), and Muar, Batu Pahat and Iskandar Puteri in Johor.

Iskandar Puteri is the new name for Nusajaya.

The memorandum will pave the way for detailed negotiations on the main bilateral agreement, which is expected to be signed by the end of this year, the paper said.

The signing will be "a major milestone in terms of getting all the basic ground rules that will set the future direction of the HSR project", NST quoted a source as saying.

It previously reported that the project has been estimated to cost between RM60 billion (S$21 billion) and RM65 billion, based on a US$10 million (S$13 million) per kilometre estimate for the systems and tracks.

The civil infrastructure work is expected to cost three times more than that, the report said.

A spokesman for Singapore's Ministry of Transport told The Straits Times: "We are working towards signing the MOU on July 19. We are still in the process of confirming the details."

I would be more looking at properties in western Singapore instead.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOU is just another Memorandum of Understanding. It is not a contract. It is just a piece of paper agreeing and negotiating to a certain basis do certain things. Anything and any terms can change after that as long as there's no contract. Many MOUs in the past had been annulled along the way. It is just another piece of comfort letter. Just don't get overly excited.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOU is just another Memorandum of Understanding. It is not a contract. It is just a piece of paper agreeing to a certain basis do certain things. Anything and any terms can change.Just don't get overly excited.

Good advice indeed.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nooooo.... Pleasssse dun destroy the dream! :smile:

I'm quite confident of this HSR thingy. Once the buying interest picks up again, and the global economy improves, we might see more activities.

What I'm more uncertain about is when they can complete it. 2020 is out for sure. 2022? I'm not sure. 2025 seems at least more probable if they don't have any major setbacks.