• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Round 2 of the "I love/miss LKY and GCT" ST Forum Letters

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
PS: If you will vomit, then close your eyes when reading:

Exits weaken team

I FEEL regret, and some measure of anger, that the result of the General Election has led to the resignations of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong ('Lee Kuan Yew steps down'; Sunday).

Granted, the election result pointed to a need for transformation within the People's Action Party (PAP). But their resignations, which come on top of the departures of Foreign Minister George Yeo and Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar, do not signal a transformation.

Collectively, their departures will only weaken the team that has brought Singapore to where it is today.

When Singaporeans listened to the rhetoric of political rallies during campaigning, be it opposition or PAP, we stood in the knowledge of the security and peace around us, forged by leaders in government over many years.

Much as I, and I suspect many Singaporeans as well, like to see an alternative voice in Parliament as well as a maturing opposition, we want all these to happen within the context of nation building.

An alternative voice in Parliament must result in better and equitable policies that govern our lives. It must not weaken the Government and country.

In the next general election, Singaporeans should evaluate the role of the opposition in the context of nation building, and not only evaluate its effectiveness in providing a check and balance in Parliament.

I thank SM Goh and MM Lee for their unselfish leadership and commitment to Singapore. Without them, we will not be quibbling over the price of a plate of nasi lemak, but whether there would have been nasi lemak on our tables in the first place.

Without them, we will not be lamenting the long queue for HDB flats, but whether we would have had public housing at all.

Without them, we will not be complaining about packed trains and buses, but whether we would have had an MRT to complain about.

Singaporeans owe them a debt of gratitude and the State should ensure the two former prime ministers are given due recognition.

Lim Chuan Hock

MM, two words say it all

I WROTE a long letter expressing mixed feelings on the news of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's decision to step down from the Cabinet: on how the Cabinet will lose a valuable source of input as it deliberates major policies; how the decision is consistent with the need for true leadership renewal to be both actual and perceived; and how a true leader will put the larger situation before himself.

I then deleted the letter because I realised that two words would best summarise what many Singaporeans want to say to MM Lee: 'Thank you'.

Professor David Chan
Singapore Management University

SDP's remark

'Enough is enough.'

MADAM GOH SIOK NOI: 'I was appalled by the Singapore Democratic Party's comment that the posts of Minister Mentor and Senior Minister 'served no useful purpose except to drain the national budget' ('SPP, SDP criticise timing of announcement'; yesterday). Given the contributions made by MM Lee Kuan Yew and SM Goh Chok Tong, such remarks were uncalled for. I hope future opposition leaders will set an example for graciousness rather than offer disparaging remarks to spark another round of debate against the People's Action Party. The election is over, choices have been made, enough is enough.'

By-election call

'They contested as MPs, not ministers.'

MR THOMAS RICHARD PRAKASAM: 'I am shocked by the Singapore Democratic Party's (SDP) view that by-elections should be held in the Group Representation Constituencies where Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong had contested ('SPP, SDP criticise timing of announcement'; yesterday). Even lay citizens like me understand that they contested as MPs, not Cabinet ministers. If this is how the SDP interprets election rules, I would be worried if it gains power.'

MM or SM

'Run for president.'

MR HENG NGEE HAI: 'The exits of Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong have the hallmarks of purpose, graciousness and the makings of a lasting legacy. I salute them both. In fact, I wish either would run for president. With Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his new Cabinet leading us into a new era, we need a pair of experienced, steady hands on the presidential tiller.'

MM Lee

'Assume role of special envoy.'

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR HEE HWAN TAK: 'I applaud the difficult decision by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew to relinquish a Cabinet role after 52 years. He is like a parent and, later, a grandparent, overseeing Singapore's development. But the time has come for him to cut us loose. He should relinquish his position in the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation and as MP, and assume the role of special envoy to resolve regional conflicts without arousing questions of a conflict of interest. His global experience and expertise will match this role, which will enhance Singapore's regional and international standing.'

Allow non-elected ministers

MY TEARS flowed as I read about our two respected ministers quitting the Cabinet ("Lee Kuan Yew steps down"; Sunday) .

Older Singaporeans like me, who were born before 1960, witnessed how Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew fought the communists, curbed racial riots, went through the ups and downs of our relations with Malaysia, faced the sudden withdrawal of the British forces and eventually transformed a hinterland from scratch. Thus, it saddens me to know that our founding father has decided to leave the Cabinet.

It took MM Lee many tumultuous years to lay the foundations for national stability, unity and development that have brought Singapore to what it is today.

That MM Lee, with his indomitable spirit, endangered his life to deal with the communists was a clear act of courage, and he demonstrated it again by quitting the Cabinet as an act of selflessness.

Perhaps Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong might reconsider appointing non-elected ministers, given Singapore's small leadership base, and all the more so with the departures of talented and capable ministers like Mr George Yeo and Mrs Lim Hwee Hua.

Our PM can exercise his prerogative to choose suitable, non-elected people he knows can run the ministries. It is about limited talent versus a nation's survival.

Perhaps it is also time to consider amending the Constitution to allow this, to ensure that Singapore is governed by a group of able, honest and dedicated men and women.

Francis Cheng

PAP not the only one that must take stock

YEARS ago, I was part of a tour group holidaying in Europe, and Asians like me were a minority. One Caucasian who discovered I was Singaporean told me how he wished his country had a prime minister like Mr Lee Kuan Yew running it.

I thank Minister Mentor Lee for his devotion and service to Singapore, for growing our economy and powering a small country with no natural resources into the ranks of the First World.

To my fellow countrymen, let us never forget Mr Lee and the first-generation leaders who toiled so that we never had to experience political strife, but have had a place where we can work, play and live well.

During the week leading to Polling Day, my neighbour, a foreigner, asked me why Singaporeans were complaining. Why the strongly worded comments in Internet forums? Come live in my country, she said.

With such views about Mr Lee and the puzzlement over why we are complaining, would it unfair to ask whether it is only the People's Action Party that needs to take stock and examine itself?

There is no perfect government. Some policies require tweaking, and sometimes our Government also comes up with unpopular policies. But unpopular policies do not mean they are wrong. They are drawn up with the long term in mind.

The Government has a track record in proving itself and has continued to do so all these years. Many governments in other countries that bowed to public pressure and implemented populist policies have had their economies and social fabric compromised.

Running a state is no small feat. Under the toil and sweat of our past and present leaders, we have come so far. Let us continue to support them and work together.

Myra Lee (Ms)

PAP not averse to change

IN MY view, the People's Action Party has never been averse to change ("Lee Kuan Yew steps down"; Sunday).

I am 37 years old and happy to witness a significant change to a new political situation. This change magnifies the task our young leaders face in trying to address a growing anxiety from the ground, and feelings of exclusion, resentment and despair.

In the broader context, the young team of ministers needs to work relentlessly in ascertaining ways to deliver and execute various policies in a convergence of views. Better interaction can engender a sense of community where attitudes are shared, strengthened and validated - the key to achieving true cohesion.

Lastly, I am grateful to our former prime ministers for standing by a much broader and generous vision of citizenship and a tolerant society. Thank you, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong.

Felicia Ng (Ms)

Last edited:

Man On The Street

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the above spineless farkers should be buried with LKY when he passes on to serve him in the afterlife. Talk about worshipping the devil. Do they know how many lives he has ruined? Incarcerating people sometimes for decades just because they don't share in his opinions is not the stuff good people do. Holding onto power for 5o over years at the expense of millions while enriching oneself is not the stuff upright people do. Bankrupting people, banishing them, using dubious court antics to punish opponents is not the stuff honest people do.

We don't owe the old bastid anything. Infact, he owes us a debt for his ill gotten wealth. I for one will not shed a tear for the devil when he finally up the lorry. I know of a few who will dance on his grave should the day come.

shitonleeky

Alfrescian
Loyal
For all u know, there may be a lap of honour at Parliament House for these 2 fuckers. The PAPies MPs/ Yes Men will form the guard of honour & with garlands of flowers being bestowed on the two fuckers.

Maybe can get the North Koreans to come in and organise the lap of honour. They are very good in honouring their Great Leader & Dear Leader. Also can provide great contingent of crying women.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tripod behaviour, why cant they see sg evolution is long overdue because of pap, lky and his cronies??? we wont be around in less than 50years if we still keep them in power.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
For all u know, there may be a lap of honour at Parliament House for these 2 fuckers. The PAPies MPs/ Yes Men will form the guard of honour & with garlands of flowers being bestowed on the two fuckers.

Maybe can get the North Koreans to come in and organise the lap of honour. They are very good in honouring their Great Leader & Dear Leader. Also can provide great contingent of crying women.

North Koreans are starving

shitonleeky

Alfrescian
Loyal
North Koreans are starving

You should hv seen the funeral for Great Leader. The women were like 'crying father crying mother'' Old Fart Lee & Lau Goat would be moved to tears.

Besides the North Koreans need the hard currency to buy food for the party & army:wink::wink::wink:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should hv seen the funeral for Great Leader. The women were like 'crying father crying mother'' Old Fart Lee & Lau Goat would be moved to tears.

Besides the North Koreans need the hard currency to buy food for the party & army:wink::wink::wink:

We will cry Yeah when he goes

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Oh my gawd, how can some pple be so sickening one! Especially Francis Cheng who wrote MY TEARS flowed as I read about our two respected ministers quitting the Cabinet...... There is something seriously wrong with this fucker. OK barf time again!

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh my gawd, how can some pple be so sickening one! Especially Francis Cheng who wrote MY TEARS flowed as I read about our two respected ministers quitting the Cabinet...... There is something seriously wrong with this fucker. OK barf time again!

barf on him.

ho_seh_liow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any child needs to grow up and take charge of his/her own life. Remember any parent cannot be at the side of his/her child, throughout the lifetime of the child. Knowing to take on is also important as knowing when to let go. The time has come to give the child a free rein to control his/her own life.
We must all learn to stand on our own feet.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Allow non-elected ministers

Older Singaporeans like me, who were born before 1960, witnessed how Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew fought the communists

Perhaps Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong might reconsider appointing non-elected ministers, given Singapore's small leadership base, and all the more so with the departures of talented and capable ministers like Mr George Yeo and Mrs Lim Hwee Hua.

Our PM can exercise his prerogative to choose suitable, non-elected people he knows can run the ministries. It is about limited talent versus a nation's survival.

Perhaps it is also time to consider amending the Constitution to allow this, to ensure that Singapore is governed by a group of able, honest and dedicated men and women.

Francis Cheng

Ironically, Francis Cheng seems to be prefer the communist system. I think he should just move to PRC permanently.

Last edited:

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
PS: If you will vomit, then close your eyes when reading:

Older Singaporeans like me, who were born before 1960, witnessed how minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew fought the communists, curbed racial riots, went through the ups and downs of our relations with Malaysia, faced the sudden withdrawal of the British forces and eventually transformed a hinterland from scratch. Thus, it saddens me to know that our founding father has decided to leave the Cabinet.

It took MM Lee many tumultuous years to lay the foundations for national stability, unity and development that have brought Singapore to what it is today.

That MM Lee, with his indomitable spirit, endangered his life to deal with the communists was a clear act of courage, and he demonstrated it again by quitting the Cabinet as an act of selflessness.

Francis Cheng

Witnessed LKY fought the communists? Fuck you, you bloody ignorant liar!

CPM hard core communist Fang Chuang Pi, the old coward bastard couldn't arrest him, but he put away all his political opponents and branded them as communists! One of them was jailed 5 years longer than Nelson Mandela.

We cannot feel beholden to LKY alone for the development of S'pore, but to leaders like Goh Keng Swee, Dr Albert Winseimus, Hon Sui Sen, Dr Toh Chin Chye, Rajaratnam, Eddie Barker and many of the old guards.