• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rony Tan vs the 3 boys arrested for racism - Double standards

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Rony Tan should be punished, otherwise every now & then, individual Christians will come out & insult other religions, & then follow by an apology.

We also do not know how long he has been doing this & how many of his followers have already been affected by him.

Why did DPM Wong let this guy off so easily? Is DPM Wong a Christian too?

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your assessment is right then it would raise question about his level of belief as he would seem unforgiving. I think the Gen Sec is genuine in accepting the apology. I'm sure Gen Sec is also trouble by this as I'm sure many of his followers are giving their views to him too.

It is also very telling to read of the Buddhist Federation Gen Sec remark on being asked his reaction to Rony Tan's apology:-

"What to do ? He has offered his apologies, so we must accept them..."

"..... and hope this will not be repeated again."

The first part, like very 'lan lan boh bian'.

The second part - very good warning with double meaning - both to Rony Tan - no more repeat behaviour AND ISD - next time no more stopping at mere warning, you better arrest/detain/charge !

Remember the Hong Kong Bus Uncle on Youtube outburst ?

没解决,我话没解决 !,
你有压力,我都有压力 !
丢你老母 *¥#?!
:cool::biggrin::p

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can only think of three possible reasons:

1) Rony is well-connected
2) Fear of agitating the Christian bloc (as though these people are all so dumb as to support Rony and would base their vote on this one incident).
3) ISD/Government is waiting to see how the ground reacts to such an (non)action. In other words, to see how extreme both sides are (i.e. those supporting" and those against Rony).

I think pastor Rony Tan paid his way out.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why ISD invited him for kopi-O ?

Did Rony also did something else to insult the untouchables?

Or "invitation" to ISD is an face saving PR stunt for Rony and his flock?

Although apology is good, I think if it is so serious he should just be charged like the rest, for similar seditious offence.

The law should not have two different treatment over the same offence committed.

Somemore this is the latest of a series of "attacks" against other religions which the first two was severely dealt with.

I think it is more serious for a religious leader to be so reckless in his comments and actions.

Here's the extract of Pastor Rony Tan's apology from home page of lighthouse website.

news
Urgent Message From Pastor Rony

I have received a number of emails from people who have been saddened and hurt by the testimonies of an ex-monk and an ex-nun. I realized that my presentation and comments were wrong and offensive. So I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity towards the Buddhists and Taoists, and solemnly promise that it will never happen again.

When we have received those emails, we immediately removed the video clips from our website. I urge those who have posted those clips on the YouTube to remove them as well.

After reading the frank views from those emails, I was also prompted to tell my members not only to continue to love souls, but also to respect other beliefs and not to ridicule them in any way, shape or fashion.

Let's put our goal to build a harmonious Singapore a top priority

Not only on website. It was the church that put it on Youtube.

Last edited:

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why ISD invited him for kopi-O ? Did Rony also did something else to insult the untouchables? Or invitation is face saving for Rony and his flock?

Although apology is good, I think if it is so serious he should just be charged like the rest, for similar seditious offence.

The law cannot have two different treatment over the same offence committed.

I'm not quite sure you can categorize the two offence in the same degree.
Maybe the 'offence' he committed might not be as serious as people imagined.

Sort of like in traffic offences, some light offence you get of with warning other offence you do jail time. It's a difference in degree.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Tan Liang Hong spot on when he said there were too many Christians in Cabinet? If so, has the Christian lobby showed its hand?

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not know, I think I should to buy the latest edition of -Dummies Guide to Singapore Law- to see how to catagorize this.

Until then, the dummy me can also read situation like this

1.Small kachang putih offenders jailed. While big offender let off with an apology over a cup of tea.

2.Analogy is like lighting a match get jailed while committing arson get invited for kopi-O with secret police (ISD).

3.Or maybe the authorities setting a precedent, all future cases get invited to kopi-O at ISD.

I'm not quite sure you can categorize the two offence in the same degree.
Maybe the 'offence' he committed might not be as serious as people imagined.

Sort of like in traffic offences, some light offence you get of with warning other offence you do jail time. It's a difference in degree.

Last edited:

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite what happened, Rony will still be an influential man to his congregates. He is able to sway votes come next election. He will be of some use to you if he is now at your mercy.

The 3 kids unfortunately do not have such value-add.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Tan Liang Hong spot on when he said there were too many Christians in Cabinet? If so, has the Christian lobby showed its hand?

Finally the undercurrent racial card.

I was wondering how come the rony tan religion crap got mixed with the racial 3 cheenas.

sometimes i wonder why pure cheenas are so low in their self esteem, that a foreign religion should be seen as a threat to their racist status quo. As if treating us minority unfairly is not enough they have to jump on everything. And isnt it enough that even your scoundrel golden hair cant-speak-england-properly ah beng low end caste can also afford a subaru not good enough for you lot?

pls, my minority brudders, no small dick jokes here

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are imaginative, suggesting a tall tale of conspiracy and blackmail.

This kind of plot can make it to pulp fiction paperback already.

If throwing Rony into jail will appease the Buddhist and Toaists then it
would not be Kopi-O at ISD.

Scare that Rony will get angry not worry about letting him off easy would
not exactly end up into the good books of the victims.

Now people give face to the heads of Buddhist and Toaist Association and Rony escapes jail with an apology. Does not mean that people has forgiven
Rony.

Despite what happened, Rony will still be an influential man to his congregates. He is able to sway votes come next election. He will be of some use to you if he is now at your mercy.

The 3 kids unfortunately do not have such value-add.

Last edited:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once a private event is broadcasted publicly it is of immediate public interest.

So ISD come a knocking at Rony's door. It should have been the police,
our intelligent poodles are more straight forward in enforcing the law.

Lucky Rony, kopi-O at ISD and Chinese Tea at Kwong Meng Shua
when it should be free Curry Rice at Changi.

The act was done in a private event, whereas the rest were done openly.

It is like if you were to make jokes about religious issues with your friends in your house and then one of the idiot recorded it and posted it on Youtube as a joke because he found it so funny. Get it?

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me see, if inciting humour to you is making fun of other's religion, those whom the joker had targeted, or the subject of joke must be able to laugh at the humour to agree with you it is a joke made in good taste.

If not, how you know the subject of your joke is not angry?

How would you know nobody "hates" Rony for inciting his humour on Buddhists and Toaists ?

Sure, Buddhists and Taoists have forgiven Rony but there may be a mad one angry enough with seeing Rony going unpunished to want to get even with him.

Let it be a lesson, a public figure could make enemies easily from the invisible
public. Even a good respectable MP like Mr. Seng got it twice in succession by angry people.

Rony is very stupid not to know that. His flock has better examine the head of the pastor whom they are following.

Don't follow blindly,you don't need to demonise other people's faith to glamourise your own.

oh scroobal, you know the difference between inciting hatred and inciting humor?

or maybe i interpreted the laws incorrectly? :biggrin:

Last edited:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, thousands of worshipers already knew the buddha vs. Jesus story...he's just reiterating the facts....:biggrin:

So you agree what he said: that, for example, monks and Buddhists are controlled by demons and satan? The Buddhism is a religion where the blind lead the blind?

TeeKee you really are a disgrace to Christianity. Sometimes, I honestly think that you are pretending to be a Christian to sully Christianity.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone who is not with God is with Satan..

Including your self nature......once you kowtow to your own desires/sins, you are worshiping SATAN.

it's all in the bible...please read it before making accusations against my integrity..:biggrin:

I want you to write down what you believe. Unambiguously. Stand up for your belief, if you think that the beliefs are such as you described.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think my opinions and comments are fairer than the "humour" Mr Rony Tan
has made,now a stunt which earned him publicity and invitations to coffee at ISD and tea at Kong Meng Shan but not public paid holiday in Changi.

Now unpunished, it would be interesting to observe if this incident would raised Rony's profile with the zealots and crusaders in the Christian community or the smarter ones will leave his flock for a better Church.

i think many people like you are over reacting over this issue...

Last edited:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...aiyoh ...stop all the arguments!! Cane the 4 of them in the buttocks 20 times each.... and suah suah ker and evrything solved !!:rolleyes:

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
What happens if the ISD had arrested Rony Tan like they did to the other small fry? The leader of a 12000 strong congregation would have become a martyr - not just for his church, but for all the bloody evangelicals in Singapore in general. They are gonna become even more fanatical and more aggressive. Do we really want that? I think this is a good first step, to send out a signal that the government is not to be trifled with. The christian leaders know that now that they've been warned, next time they won't get off that easily.

sure, there are double standards here. but there are times for double standards.