• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RM5 can make a grown man cry

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
mk-logo

https://www.malaysiakini.com/columns/624361

COMMENT | RM5 can make a grown man cry

James Chai
Published: Jun 12, 2022 9:33 AM

Updated: 9:33 AM

This was what happened to me last Thursday. I left home for work earlier to beat the rush-hour traffic and made a detour to the petrol station. I came out of my car with the doors unlocked when a man in a motorcycle came close behind me.

“Some money for me to fill petrol,” he murmured. His tanned skin made his coarse hands obvious, holding onto a motorcycle that looked like much time had passed since its purchase. The yellowed helmet couldn’t hide his frightened eyes like he wasn’t sure how to beg for money.

I took out my wallet and started looking for some change.

“Any amount will do. If you have RM5 that would be good, or if you don’t, that’s okay too…” he continued.

I found a RM5 note trapped between a few RM1s and RM20s, so I pulled the RM5 and gave it to him.

His feet started moving away from me, his hands firmly gripped the motorcycle handles.

“I can’t believe you trusted me. I could be lying to you and cheating your RM5 but you trusted me… I can’t believe I could still meet someone like you.”

“It’s okay, take the RM5, I still have money. Take it this time,” I said.

“No, no!” he said, in a voice that grew louder. He was now two meters from me, and I looked around to make sure he didn’t cause a scene.

“Nobody believed me! All the businesses have closed down, I lost my job, no income, and I haven’t eaten a full meal for months… this pandemic killed me. When I told people I had no money to eat, no money for petrol, and had to sleep on a mat by the streets, nobody believed me!”

I saw that his motorcycle was indeed stuffed with a straw mat and a few clothes in plastic bags.

“I don’t need your money!” he shouted, tears flowing rapidly down his cheeks. “Just by seeing that you believed what I said was enough. That’s happier than winning the lottery, happier than eating a full meal.”

“Just take it, please,” I said as I moved closer to him. But he moved further away.

“I lost everything, and I can’t believe I could still see someone who believed in me…”

On my journey to the office, I couldn’t stop thinking about the man with the motorcycle. I don’t know his full story nor will I know if this was part of his routine to extract money from unassuming people like me.

But it was plausible that he was one of the thousands of untold stories: Devastated by the pandemic, having lost everything from food to shelter, falling between the cracks of the system.

Rosy picture

Ironically, on the same day, the Department of Statistics Malaysia released a report that celebrated a recovering economy, as our country’s unemployment rate dipped below four percent for the first time since the pandemic.

“Economic activities continued to flourish,” it said. The report lauded a series of government programs, including the Prihatin packages, that sustained the economy.

Two weeks prior, Finance Minister Tengku Zafrul Abdul Aziz shared similar optimism. He said Malaysia’s economy was on the right track, and April’s inflation rate of 2.2 percent was “still good”.

Why is there a contrast between what the official numbers show and what the people feel? What would happen if I just told the motorcycle man he couldn’t be unemployed because our unemployment rate is only 3.9 percent?

I believed him because I, too, saw many mainstay businesses shut down as recently as last month because of the compounding economic effects of Covid-19. An economic downturn kills you fast; an economic recovery benefits you slowly.

The unemployment rate captures only a snapshot of the economy. It considers anyone who worked at least one hour for pay or profit “employed”. It does not take into account people who are underpaid or temporarily employed.

If all the top overseas graduates now work as cashiers at McDonald’s, they would still be considered “employed” in the rosy index.

The unemployment rate certainly does not take into account people like the motorcycle man, who may have tried really hard to find a job, lost hope entirely, and are now sleeping on the streets. They are just eliminated from the system.

Reality remains

Bangi MP Ong Kian Ming wrote about how the inflation index could mask true increases in prices because of how it measures.

Peering through, he found that 3kg of cooking oil increased 37.2 percent in April, Grade A eggs at 22.7 percent, 500g sweetened creamer by 18.9 percent and 1kg chicken by 10.7 percent - all significantly higher than the reported four percent.

The reality remains. The economy is still bad and it has a disproportionate impact on certain groups more than others.

Wealthy people are unlikely to be unemployed and while everyone fears the worst about the economy, poor people do not have a safety net to cushion the shock – they just sink and sleep on the streets.

In the back-and-forth with the motorcycle man, I made a pathetic attempt to console him.

When he said there are no good people, I told him there will be many. When he said nobody will believe him, I told him some would.

When he said his life was over, I told him it will be better. His voice was louder than mine, and as I spoke, my voice got softer as I no longer believed what I said.

I walked closer to him and held out my RM5. But he took a couple of steps back and eventually drove off, mumbling how dreadful his life was. The green paper note is still in my pocket.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
altogether now...FUCK THIS PANDEMIC NONSENSE

The scamdemic is related to this but not the cause. It is the Great Reset by the demons in Davos. Part of their plan is a anti-carbon jihad against 'carbon emissions' and fossil fuels and the shameless pimping of 'sustainable' or 'renewable' solutions.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the write is half-correct.

The rider didn't believe his luck and regretted the fact that he only asked for RM5.

I have had similar experience with a close relative. I offered to give my relative a tidy sum of money. He was happy and accepted the offer. A few weeks later, he came back with all sorts of bullshit about how accepting the money would cost him his freedom etc.

I knew what he was up to. He needed money but he wanted to keep his pride intact at the same time. In my opinion, pride is something that the borrower has to resolve it by himself. I'm giving you the money, and it's not a small sum. I cannot be begging you to accept it so that you can take the money and boost your pride at the same time by my incessant begging for you to accept my good gesture.

Last edited:

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the write is half-correct.

The rider didn't believe his luck and regretted the fact that he only asked for RM5.

If the writer had exhibited some negative character traits of himself - snobbish, distrustful - the rider might have felt more at ease. Ok, I scammed you but you deserved it because you have a fuck-up character.

In this case, the writer was kind, and there was nothing negative to take away from him that could compensate the rider's negative emotion that comes with begging or scamming.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia going bankrupt in 2028. Earliest will be 2026.
Prepare for it. It's going to be a bombshell of an earthquake. Whatever that means

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The scamdemic is related to this but not the cause. It is the Great Reset by the demons in Davos. Part of their plan is a anti-carbon jihad against 'carbon emissions' and fossil fuels and the shameless pimping of 'sustainable' or 'renewable' solutions.
If you can't beat em, join em.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia going bankrupt in 2028. Earliest will be 2026.
Prepare for it. It's going to be a bombshell of an earthquake. Whatever that means
They can't go bankrupt.
They can sell sabah and sarawak to china. Solve south china sea issue in one go.
And jiu hu to PAP.