• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rising cost of living the hottest issue for voters

zujjkiol

Alfrescian
Loyal
Email
Print

All income groups in Singapore worry about the rising cost of living. (Yahoo! Photo)

By Fann Sim

The rising cost of living is the biggest worry for most Singaporeans in the run-up to the General Election (GE).

That was one of the findings of a recent telephone survey conducted by Media Research Consultants and commissioned by local newspaper TODAY on the hot button issues that may shape the GE, which is due by February 2012 but is expected to be held soon.

The survey of 618 voters focused on those dwelling in HDB flats and did not cover those living in private properties.

The worry over rising costs in Singapore was expressed by all income groups, though some groups worried about the issue more than others. According to the paper, 83.5 percent of voters are concerned that hawker food, meals in food courts and basic necessities have become much more expensive.

Nearly half of the respondents agreed that the issue of rising costs would be one of the deciding factors that would influence their vote at the polls.

Among the different profiles of respondents, only 40 percent of those without income or with a personal income of $2,000 responded that the rising cost of living would affect how they voted. For this group of people, public assistance is available to help them cope with the higher cost of living.

On the other hand, the "sandwiched" class comprising families who do not qualify for public assistance may be the group whose vote may be most affected by the higher cost of living.

In the survey, 60 percent of the middle-income group or voters earning between $2,001 and $6,000 said that the rising cost of living would be one of the factors affecting how they cast their vote.

When asked if the steps taken to curb the problem of rising costs were sufficient, 54 percent of voters felt that the steps were inadequate. The issue of the rising cost of living had been discussed extensively during the recent Budget debate.

The 2011 Budget statement announced a "Grow and Share" package to help ease the stress of inflation on Singaporean families.

40-year-old accounts officer Tham Wai Fong said, "I'm very affected by the rising cost of living. Our salaries are never increasing, but the prices of necessities are. The bounty given by the government some time back was very unhelpful. The money goes into our CPF and that wouldn't help us until we are 62. How is that helping me solve my problem now?"

Tham said that this issue would influence her vote.

In January, Singapore's inflation rose to hit a two-year high at 5.5 percent.

Other issues that are big concerns for Singaporeans are the housing problem and the influx of foreigners with 41.6 percent of respondents saying that the housing issue would influence who they vote for at the elections.

Almost half of the survey respondents felt that steps taken by the government to help Singaporeans buy an HDB flat have been adequate. Concerns over affordability of HDB flats went up from 58.9 per cent to 68.5 percent for those under 40.

On the issue of the influx of foreigners in Singapore, Malays appeared to be the most worried about the influx of foreigners. Three in 10 Chinese voters said that the issue of foreigners would affect their vote compared to 48.8 percent of Malay voters.

Three in 10 Singaporeans felt that the influx of foreigners has led to a feeling that they are second-class citizens.

Surprisingly, 76.4 percent of Singaporeans are most concerned about the greater congestion in our public transport caused by the influx of foreigners. The second most pressing foreigners-related issue is the longer waiting times at government hospitals and polyclinics.

In third place is the issue of increased competition for jobs and promotions in the workplace with 67.2 percent of Singaporeans expressing concern over it.

One in three Singaporeans said the issue of foreigners would influence their vote in the coming GE.

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
464 comments

Comments 1 - 20 of 464
First
Prev
Next
Last

Smelly

Are Hougang and Potong Pasir Residents not staying in HDB?

Are Hougang and Potong Pasir Residents not citizens of Singapore?

Are Hougang and Potong Pasir Residents not paying taxes to the government every year?

This is the double standards of all the elites in the current system. The system is definitely wrong

Replies (7)
L
160 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 3
L 7 hours ago Report Abuse

Explaining his first point, PM Lee said that former US presidents are involved in money-spinning book and lecture tours after they step down.

"Retired US presidents go on book tours, they write books, they are paid US$10 million (S$13 million) advance, they get somebody to help them write a tome and they make a lecture tour…Every lecture (by former president) Bill Clinton: US$100,000 to US$200,000 for half an hour.

"That's the system. I think that's not a good system for us. We don't want ministers to retire and go on lecture tours."

-has Jimmy Carter gone on book tours? NO
-has the late G. Ford gone on book tours? NO
-has GWB and his old man GB go on book tours? not much.

So only Bill Clinton(BC) has gone on book tours.
But BC had also lent his past diplomatic expertise to the current US presidential regime. One example by visiting North Korea's Kim to secure release of 2 American citizens.
Think this wayang PM has the balls to do this??

Replies (12)
VKH
253 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 8
VKH 8 hours ago Report Abuse

I am appalled at the answers given by the PM. Where is his hearand consideration for the people? Is he bent on making those people suffer simply because they did not vote for his party?

I thought that as PM, he was there to represent ALL the people, without favour or preference. He is not the PM of just those he voted for, but for each and every Singapore citizen, including those who did not vote for him or his party.

It is absurd to also claim that upgrading exercises of HDB apartments and other such ventures are the sole preserve of the PAP. They are not. That idea is universal becauase its a thought driven by the desire to serve the needs of the community.

How can the PM say that if you vote for PAP you get nice chocolate cake and coffee, but if you vote for other party you only get water and biscuit? And by the way, you have to pay the same price (tax).

It really is nonsense, very political and not at all caring to take such a stance and position against those who did not vote PAP. Here is the true injustice.

Replies (2)
Jake L
185 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 5
Jake L 7 hours ago Report Abuse

You are not a better person if you need high salary to stop you from corruption. A good minister is out to serve the country with a good patriotism heart. not to be attracted with a $$$.

Replies (7)
chia
215 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 7
chia 8 hours ago Report Abuse

Now i understand, have you.

The Singapore National Pledge is an oath of allegiance to Singapore.
We, the citizens of Singapore,
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society
based on justice and equality
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

Please submit a bill to amend it to

We, the citizens of Singapore
pledge ourselves to the People Action Party (PAP)
held high regards to the People Action Party (PAP)
to build a democractic society
based on the People Action Party(PAP) policies and our support to the policies
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for the party and after that us.

Replies (14)
tikus anging
136 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 3
tikus anging 7 hours ago Report Abuse

OMG. Who is he to say about American System? PAP's system has so many flaws but sweep under the carpet, so that nobody can see. With reference to ex American Presidents writing books and going on lecture tours, what is wrong with that. If they can write books and give lectures and Top Calibre people willing to part their money to listen, is that anything wrong? Since PAP claims their Candidates and MPs are of high calibre, they may also write books and give lecture tours after leaving the office. No one is stopping them. Go ahead and show your talent to the world. But please, when in office, do not dig into the nations coffers to enrich yourselves!

Replies (1)
KURO
211 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 7
KURO 8 hours ago Report Abuse

hougang's ppl oso pay tax .. why they have unfair treatment?

Replies (1)
GetReal
131 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 3
GetReal 7 hours ago Report Abuse

PM Lee's reply was, "The answer is that there has to be a distinction. Because the PAP wards supported the Government and the policies which delivered these good things."

If this is the case than all the PAP supporters who have voted in Hougang and Potong Pasir
has been short changed. Since voting for them does not make you any special
you should now VOTE FOR OPPOSITION. Make your switch now !

Replies (4)
eric
105 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 2
eric 7 hours ago Report Abuse

Dear PM, i think you need to differentiate between the government and the party. The two are not the same thing, if my understanding is correct. HDB is under the government, not any party. Policies are proposed for the national good, not as a reward for voting a certain party. If pushed to the wall, i figure that the citizens will vote more parties into parliament so that the incumbent party does not abuse public funds. By abuse, i am referring to the blatant biased use of public funds as incentive for voting for the incumbent. I cannot bring myself to respect such a government. Please, do correct me if i am wrong in my reasoning.

Replies (4)
friend
135 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 4
friend 8 hours ago Report Abuse

What is he talking about. So if half of Singapore belong to opposition party that mean no upgrading. This money is not your money is the public money. Can't we based on YEAR Of THE FLAT. How can you use this as a carrot toward vote. Is lame excuse to said you vote for PAP you get everything. How about salary I vote you give me more. And why USA president after stepping down still make money because they can speak WELL and people willing to pay to listen to them. MM Lee I sure if he speak allot of people willing to listen and pay the price from what he said. So don't compare.

Replies (1)
RICARDO FREEMAN
65 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 0
RICARDO FREEMAN 7 hours ago Report Abuse

Singapore does not belong to the PAP !!!!

Replies (4)
How
65 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 0
How 7 hours ago Report Abuse

lol... upgrading is national programme! Where the $ came from, is it from MP own poket $ or LL fund? NO WAY it is our tax payer including opposition resident hard earn $$$.
If upgarding is national programme, so the NS service and tax paying? It is also national programme.
We are voting good MP be it PAP or opposition. Opposition MP is good that is why he could continue. We are helping the national to keep the good MP and not open the back door for those questionable candidate to be our MP on trial.

skk
116 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 3
skk 8 hours ago Report Abuse

Why is PM justifying their huge ministerial base salary yet again by making it look like the US presidents have their own means of amassing their wealth (active or retired).

Question is are they working hard enough in the eyes of the people to justify their pay?

Our ministers are paid so well to the extent they are no longer on the ground with us to them making hard and unpopular decisions for the 'good of Singapore' becomes a common thing. It is inevitable for people to wonder why our ministers are paid such big salaries. Like what was said by an opposing politician a couple of years back, how can our party members share the dreams and aspirations of the common people when they're earning 100k a month (now 200k) and the average person earns 2k?

Our ministers both past and present definitely have their own way of maintaining and increasing their wealth by utilizing the massive retirement pension and savings to the extent they are near-billionaires on their own account.

Each time the PAP rebutts an argument, they only serve to fan the flames and fuel our fire by going in circles and behaving elitist again!

Replies (3)
chia
85 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 2
chia 7 hours ago Report Abuse

Have to admit Mr Lee Hsien Loong never failed to arouse controversies with his idealogies and his speeches. Over the years a few notable ones,

He is accused or rumoured to have slap Dhanabalan then foreign minister across the face for standing against him in the 1990. Interested find out more yourself from the open net.

During the last election in 2006, he reportly mentioned that he has to fixed the oppositions before coming out with good policies if more than 2 oppositions were to be in the parliament which he subsquently apologised or stand corrected for.

Now he personally divided singapore in one that support PAP and given full entitlement and another that do not support PAP and given reduced or no extra benefits.

Replies (2)
Basilikos
98 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 3
Basilikos 8 hours ago Report Abuse

I am looking to vote... every vote counts... My GRC MP said this when we seek his help, "I'll see what I can do"... and he did ... NOTHING... so if he were to ask my help in voting, guess what I will say... >;P LOL.... Life... what goes around comes around :smile:

Replies (5)
jimmy
81 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 2
jimmy 7 hours ago Report Abuse

What did the PM actually meant? IMO and short simple sentences - Vote for us and you will get the upgrades that distracts you from other hidden and higher cost factors. Don't vote for us, parliment will ensure the opposition gets nothing done within the 5 years; regardless of the efforts they put it.

I hope they can just tear down everything and stop the "upgrades" once and for all - Don't threaten us with such methods! Honestly, its like be a dog and listen to the owner. When it's time for a meal, the owner kill just kill the dog.

No rebates or discounts will truly be given to Singaporeans; other than the Government gives you a dollar and takes 10 times back program. Ask yourself this question: "Where did the GST rebates go to?"

Replies (1)
Richard
51 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 0
Richard 6 hours ago Report Abuse

Waaahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo Seah Yin Hwa!!! Forget about your engineering course, you should go into politics!!! We need your voice in parliament!!! "Hougang no up-grading, can I pay less tax?" Waaahahahaah!!!! Thats a good one, you made my day :wink:

Replies (1)
Winerfully
106 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 4
Winerfully 8 hours ago Report Abuse

his comments like his heart not wide open enough.

Replies (1)
Blurcupid
45 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 0
Blurcupid 7 hours ago Report Abuse

Seriously... I don't see how his "wise" remarks can help him or PAP in the coming GE. And this brings to back the the previous topic: Is he really a member of the so-called A-Team?

Replies (1)
Shawn
37 Please sign in to rate this comment up. Please sign in to rate this comment down. 0
Shawn 7 hours ago Report Abuse

1) Our minister pay package is simply too high. Our minister are getting too rich by just being there. Beside, MP should be chosen because they have heart to serve the people. Given S$200k per month to serve the people is too much.

2) I was so sadden when I received a revise to my Property Tax. A increase of S$8000. I bought this property for self stay and not for business or rental. If I am getting a property for rental income, i wouldnt mind paying higher property tax. My parent worst, they stay in a old landed property but has no income for the past 8 years. Still have to pay property tax too.

Beside, the whole transport and vehicle COE system in Singapore is so badly managed. So many dealers and salespersonel are out of jobs in this sector. And those policy are not environmental friendly at all. It a real shame when I discuss it with my overseas friends.

Replies (2)

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/sing...grading-pay-less-tax-20110405-231901-526.html