• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retirement - the earlier the better!

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 50-year old friend could not retire eventhough he is sick and tired of working life because his daughter is still studying in school - sec 3 this year. My advice to young people is simply that if you plan to retire at age 55 or earlier, please have your first child by age 30...

I have this Indonesian friend who is in his mid 60s. His son from his 3rd wife from Medan, now only Pri. 1. His eldest daughter from 1st wife 40 years old. However, he no worries. Orang tua binya.:o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The flood of cheap labour is the best thing that has ever happened to Singapore. It ensures that you'll be able to hire staff at relatively low wages in order to keep overheads as low as possible.

One of the reasons why I keep my Singapore office going is so that I can take advantage of the fact that I can hire programmers and designers for a song. If I tried to start a similar operation in NZ and hired Kiwis , it would cost me up to 4 times more.

By coincidence I created a thread that it's now easier to get a Credit card instead of a maid :smile:. The cost of maids is going up & not down.

You have to earn at least $30,000 to qualify for a maid. I think there is a minimum age criteria for single males:confused:

Prospective maid employers now have to pass a 3 hour online course. Indonesian maids also have to pass some kind of language test which I've heard is quite difficult. Some chinese educated Sporeans & New Sporeans would probably have difficulty passing it :biggrin: Then you have to pay more, almost double compared to the past.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
By coincidence I created a thread that it's now easier to get a Credit card instead of a maid :smile:. The cost of maids is going up & not down.

Nobody needs a live-in personal slave. The rest of the world gets by without domestic help 24/7. Why can't Singapore?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
This type of behaviour is called an "indian giver"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver

PAP has never been original & have always borrowed ideas:wink:

On the contrary. I reward good posts and penalise bad posts without prejudice. That's how the reputation system is supposed to work.

The PAP, on the other hand, rewards their cronies no matter how poorly they perform and lambasts the opposition no matter how well they perform. Based on the review of the points system here, it would appear that most of the members here behave in exactly the same manner.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody needs a live-in personal slave. The rest of the world gets by without domestic help 24/7. Why can't Singapore?

It's what I call sharing the work load :wink:

The maid's employer & the maids are working indirectly for the PAP. Couple's have to maximise the $$$ they can earn to pay all the bills. Without maids Sporeans would be distracetd by the need to look after their kids & aging parents.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary. I reward good posts and penalise bad posts without prejudice. That's how the reputation system is supposed to work.

The PAP, on the other hand, rewards their cronies no matter how poorly they perform and lambasts the opposition no matter how well they perform. Based on the review of the points system here, it would appear that most of the members here behave in exactly the same manner.

Just look at the person with the most points here. Look at the quality of his posts :biggrin:

iamfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a strong believer in early retirement and had planned for it almost as soon as I started work. It is never too early to plan for retirement. I still have friends who have not started planning for retirement as they see it as too difficult. What they do not yet realised is that the problem will not go away but it will get bigger the longer they delayed.

I have retired 2 years ago at a age of 48, which is 3 years later than my plan. Better late than never!

The question I got most often is "What do you do every day?". My standard reply is "whatever I want!". Life is great! I currently travel quite a bit (within Asia) and some fishing. I also get to spend lots of time with my children.

I feel that we should not waste our life chasing after material wealth, which in the end doesn't matter very much anyway. It would be nice to break free from this trap which I see as modern day slavery. It is never too early to start to plan to retire and it is never too late as well! Plus it is easier than what most people think. It just need discipline and the willingness to work towards it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Just look at the person with the most points here. Look at the quality of his posts :biggrin:

My point exactly. The very people who take the PAP to task for cronyism on a regular basis have no qualms about practicing it themselves. :p