• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retire in your 40s....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Could someone help by posting this article featured in today's ST.

investments-help-prof-retire-40-20130224.jpeg

iconchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you're single and no kids, what's the point of retiring at 40?? At least when you work, you might have some social life.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm quite sure her form of 'retirement' is not want you or most Sinkies are looking for.

She is single and has a PHD in Chinese. Worked for NTU as an associate professor in 2000. Retired in 2007. Never had to touch her NTU salary as she is working part time at SIM and also had assignments in translations. Inherited a HDB flat from her parents. Claimed to have a few land titles in US, Canada, Malaysia and had other investments like shares, funds and FX along the way. Biggest investments is her insurance policies, which she has 7. Now involved in the World Red Swastika's missions, moral education, meditation etc. Her biggest spending is her Burberry bag which cost a few hundred dolllars and she travel by MRT/Bus.

Basically, you are looking at someone who has been putting all her 9 years' salaries into buying long term investments - insurance, properties and dabble in stocks/funds/fx along the way so that she can work full time as a social worker/educator without having to worry about finances. She spends her time and money now on missions and charities.

I really like what she said when asked about her worst investment to date:

"In a deeper sense, the worst investment is the time and energy lost in helping bosses to produce their report cards. Time is not money, but my life"

iconchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her biggest spending is her Burberry bag which cost a few hundred dolllars and she travel by MRT/Bus."[/B]

I dun understand why she needs to scrimp until like that. While I don't believe in spending every single cents you make, I also don't think one should be so hard on yourself, especially when you work hard for your achievements. Some things in life is better gained when you are younger. For example, why delay that dream holiday when it's within means. When you are older (e.g. Retired), you might not have the energy for the holiday anymore.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retirement mean made enough money to no longer going after money. Can start to look at other venture in life. Do some soul searching.

Not working and live like a homeless moron is call laziness.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun understand why she needs to scrimp until like that. While I don't believe in spending every single cents you make, I also don't think one should be so hard on yourself, especially when you work hard for your achievements. Some things in life is better gained when you are younger. For example, why delay that dream holiday when it's within means. When you are older (e.g. Retired), you might not have the energy for the holiday anymore.

Everyone's priorities, life calling, definition of having fun etc is different. She is simply leading a simple life and finds joy in helping and educating others. It really does not mean that she is scrimping on herself or live like a cheapskate. Its like asking people whether they want a $3k Prada bag or spend that $3k on a holiday. And if you having the time of your life doing what you like, material things like branded goods or exotic holidays will not be that attractive to you anymore.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget the article. Here's a simple 1-step solution:

1) Be a lecturer.

Last time got one poly lecturer who cheong with us in KTVs at least twice a week. He taught biz management and always try to relate his management theories to his cheonging. I bet this guy is still working his ass off in the poly.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you're single and no kids, what's the point of retiring at 40?? At least when you work, you might have some social life.

I believe her social network is bigger than any typical married men here. She can go to her association, classes and overseas missions any time she wants while a married Sinkie man still needs to get a Visa from wife to watch football at the pub with his buddies.