• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Replacing home lighting with LEDs?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've been looking into replacing my home lighting with LED lighting but because I am currently using those circular fluorescent tubes there wasn't a practical way of doing it. Most of the LED solutions were using LED bulbs. However recently I saw a product that can replace circular tubes, the picture is here
http://list.qoo10.sg/item/LED-CEILING-LAMP-PLATE-NO-MORE/411259543

These unit are also available in Spore through several shops. They cost about $30 each with various brightness from 7 watts to 18 watts. The ones I've see at the shops are quite bright. The reasons I want to switch to LEDs is because fluorescent lighting gets dimmer as they age.

If you already are using a circular fluorescent tube lighting, you simply replace the lamp with this device.

Has anyone ever used these LEDs lights at their home? What is your experience?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find the brand very important, those branded LED bulbs like Philip okay but those cheaper no brand ones bought from China website spoil easily....

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
read that looking directly at LED light cause permanent damage to the eyes........the damage will slowly build up......

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately the big companies haven't introduced anything to replace the circular form factor & all my rooms are equipped with circular fluorescent lights.

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
PHILIPS OR PANASONIC E27 SCREW ON SOCKET TYPE OK...

6W FOR TOILETs
10W FOR BEDROOMs
13W FOR KITCEN N HALL

FLUROSCENT LED LIGHT TUBE ONEs YOU STILL HAVE TO REMOVE CURRENT CASING COS THEY ARE DIFFERENT CASING TYPE.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
read that looking directly at LED light cause permanent damage to the eyes........the damage will slowly build up......

I have read that blue LEDs might be damaging to the eyes. Powerful LEDs can also dazzle e.g. powerful LED headlights used in cars.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
LED saves electricity but the transformer always spoilt....and the transformer cost around $50-$80 per piece and not straightforward to replace....just to warn u

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and don't forget to hire 10 polish guys. it takes 5 to screw on an incandescent bulb, and double that to do an led. :p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.....FLUROSCENT LED LIGHT TUBE ONEs YOU STILL HAVE TO REMOVE CURRENT CASING COS THEY ARE DIFFERENT CASING TYPE.

Adopting the new E27 socket is troublesome:(
Have to bring in an electirician to replace all my light fixtures, may have to do repainting, getting all the new bulbs,...

I would only consider doing it if I'm doing a renovation. A less troublesome solution is to get an LED desk lamp.

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
425428671.jpg

Oh...this type...can DIY.

2 shops i know have these types of circular LED...

1 shop at level 3 or 4 at Sim Lim Tower near Rochor (Not the IT electronics Sim Lim)

1 shop at Ubi Ave 1 blk 301.

Check it out...forgot the names but you wont miss them as they put all the lights outside for display.

But I am not so sure about the quality n lastingness, as these are usually Taiwan or China made. They are made up of many individual LED lite bulbs, replacement can be a problem, if some gets blown out.

I did my house using E27 sockets and PHILIPS bulbs....simple and they are readily available in Giant, NTUC, DIY shops, etc. Very low electric bills.

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you already are using a circular fluorescent tube lighting, you simply replace the lamp with this device.

Has anyone ever used these LEDs lights at their home? What is your experience?

not so simply la.your existing ballast had to replaced with electronic ballast before you can use led .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not so simply la.your existing ballast had to replaced with electronic ballast before you can use led .

The new ballast is included along with a magnetic ring. You use this magnetised ring to stick the new board to the old light fixture. In other words you re-use the old light fixture

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
425428671.jpg

Oh...this type...can DIY.

2 shops i know have these types of circular LED...

1 shop at level 3 or 4 at Sim Lim Tower near Rochor (Not the IT electronics Sim Lim)

1 shop at Ubi Ave 1 blk 301.

Check it out...forgot the names but you wont miss them as they put all the lights outside for display.

But I am not so sure about the quality n lastingness, as these are usually Taiwan or China made. They are made up of many individual LED lite bulbs, replacement can be a problem, if some gets blown out.

I did my house using E27 sockets and PHILIPS bulbs....simple and they are readily available in Giant, NTUC, DIY shops, etc. Very low electric bills.

Yes I saw it at Sim Lim opposite the store selling batteries. They also have an outlet in Angmo Kio near Courts/Jack's Place & Ubi It is made in China & the shop in Spore only gives a warranty of 1 month.

I've looked at getting new E27 sockets but this is a better option because one can re-use the old light fixture. The biggest con is the unknown quality of the product.

macwood

Replaced rooms with branded LEDs. Power consumption is lower, but the light emission seems to reduce after a couple of mths (abt 5 mths) of usage. Effects on the eyes, one should experience similarly on LED screen of hp or commuter screens. :smile:. If budget is a concern , change partially than the entire house at the same time.

The LEDs within the bulb are faced downwards. If used as a table lamp, has to be pointed downwards (do not shines entirely).

5W equvi 40W (8X)
7W & abv is lower than 8X

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Did you lower your electricity bill to justify the cost of switching:confused:

i got those E27 & E14 LED bulbs from IKEA previously, been using them for a while now, the bills went down a fair bit since i started using them.