• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Need some design advice on grills.

Posted this on LiJB-2 on 19 Jul. I do not benefit from this other than helping them, because they are doing a good job on my House, and fellow forummers here. Have a couple of other contractors doing other Reno work on my place and will recommend them when as they progress with the work ......

"The Electrical contractor is currently working on my place and is doing a very good job. His name is Chong and his ctc is 0197640071. The plasterer or false ceiling contractor is Kelvin, ctc. 010 7609790. I am very happy with their work and they are very professional. Hope it works for you."

I would like to put ALL on notice that I am withdrawing my recommendation on CHONG aka Louis Chong. My recent dealings with him has led me to decide and conclude that I will NOT have ANYMORE dealings with him. I have issues with his reliability and honesty. If any forummers have currently engaged him and/or are thinking of using his services PM me if you want further clarification. I apologize to those who used him and were less than satisfied with his service.
Moving forward I WILL NOT be recommending anymore contractor services on this site as I have learned a "bitter lesson".
I must also state that I DO NOT get ANYTHING from recommending the contractors.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Grago, may I know what really happened? Sometimes maybe it's more convenient and less painful to hire a main contractor to do all the works. If anything goes wrong, just have one guy to scream at. I know my contractor recently fired his electrical contractor, caused this guy was just plain useless and unreliable. This electrician even cheated with cheaper wires and was found out not installing wires in the pipes when concealing behind the cement wall. Just imagine the wires embedded in cement without protection, won't last very long. At least the contractor make good the mistake. Cheers

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Grago, may I know what really happened? Sometimes maybe it's more convenient and less painful to hire a main contractor to do all the works. If anything goes wrong, just have one guy to scream at. I know my contractor recently fired his electrical contractor, caused this guy was just plain useless and unreliable. This electrician even cheated with cheaper wires and was found out not installing wires in the pipes when concealing behind the cement wall. Just imagine the wires embedded in cement without protection, won't last very long. At least the contractor make good the mistake. Cheers

1) The Ethernet and telephone points does not work. Have to either hack open the walls where the wires are buried or run trunking with the new Ethernet and telephone wire.
2) the wiring to my alarm system is according to the Supplier not DONE properly, they blame each other for the faults.
3) The Chengai decking on both sides of my house ruined because of the paint stains which he initially denied he/his worker caused. Then suggested that it was the neighbour's who caused it!

I hope that the installed wirings are in the pipes as they are all buried in the walls.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yup I can see what is happening. This are typical contractors mentality and most feared by us, the end users. For us we don't really want to be bothered who is wrong, just that the problem get fixed and remedied. Still best one main contractor, shout scream, all will be his fault. His responsibility to fix, otherwise no full payment. Easiest way to strong arm him. I had my contractor break tiles in my 2 bathroom already, all because it was done badly. Now it's well done after the complaint. Everybody makes mistake so long we acknowledge and then find a solution and remedied it, it's good enough. What's sickening is hiding around the bush and not tackling the problem.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yup I can see what is happening. This are typical contractors mentality and most feared by us, the end users. For us we don't really want to be bothered who is wrong, just that the problem get fixed and remedied. Still best one main contractor, shout scream, all will be his fault. His responsibility to fix, otherwise no full payment. Easiest way to strong arm him. I had my contractor break tiles in my 2 bathroom already, all because it was done badly. Now it's well done after the complaint. Everybody makes mistake so long we acknowledge and then find a solution and remedied it, it's good enough. What's sickening is hiding around the bush and not tackling the problem.

Yes, I have withheld payment, until I get the mistakes fixed. I have been quite relaxed with him BUT the decking is the 'last straw', enough of being "nice and understanding", "the dark side" has taken over. The withheld payment is less then All the problems that have occurred....... No point regretting, just move forward..... I will engage another contractor to fix the Electrical problems and someone who specializes in wooden decks....... I have already made enquiries....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) The Ethernet and telephone points does not work. Have to either hack open the walls where the wires are buried or run trunking with the new Ethernet and telephone wire.
2) the wiring to my alarm system is according to the Supplier not DONE properly, they blame each other for the faults.
3) The Chengai decking on both sides of my house ruined because of the paint stains which he initially denied he/his worker caused. Then suggested that it was the neighbour's who caused it!

I hope that the installed wirings are in the pipes as they are all buried in the walls.

I was told the new technique no longer using pipes as they have special shielded wire for this purpose. They showed me the cable that come with a additional thin layer of pvc shield. But dont think can beat the PVC pipes , which need to cut a much deeper groove into the wall , definately more costly to do.

Bro , costly to change contractor leh ! What I do is stop giving them new job , maybe DIYs to correct those faulty jobs if possible and live with it. Sad that we paid so much yet get some shabby job done .

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was told the new technique no longer using pipes as they have special shielded wire for this purpose. They showed me the cable that come with a additional thin layer of pvc shield. But dont think can beat the PVC pipes , which need to cut a much deeper groove into the wall , definately more costly to do.

Bro , costly to change contractor leh ! What I do is stop giving them new job , maybe DIYs those faulty jobs if possible and live with it. Sad that we paid so much yet get some shabby job done .

My electrician said always good to have pipes in case rats other other animals bite the cables, and he said other electricians quoted low cost to owners then cut cost by not installing piping and reducing diameter of wires.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Words of wisdom: Be selective in your battles, sometimes peace is better than being right. :biggrin:

Skyhawk

I am totally agree with that all options.
It is just a fact that we has to deal these options before we start a work. It is really good also to make some planing about the project and to get a good result it is necessary to deal these options in a proper way.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would like to put ALL on notice that I am withdrawing my recommendation on CHONG aka Louis Chong. My recent dealings with him has led me to decide and conclude that I will NOT have ANYMORE dealings with him. I have issues with his reliability and honesty. If any forummers have currently engaged him and/or are thinking of using his services PM me if you want further clarification. I apologize to those who used him and were less than satisfied with his service.
Moving forward I WILL NOT be recommending anymore contractor services on this site as I have learned a "bitter lesson".
I must also state that I DO NOT get ANYTHING from recommending the contractors.

This evening I had a surprise visit from Chong or Luis Chong with "2 friends (collect LAN CHANG)" at about 8pm. He told the security that I rang and asked him to come over! He was at the gate and tried to intimidate me and my wife to pay him the balance of the money that I was withholding from him to rectify the mess he has made. He now claims that it was the other contractors mistake and not his and that's why I was withholding the payment.
I refused to speak to him and explained to his "friends" why I was withholding the payment! I told his "friends" that I even recommended work to him, which is quite a few ( I had quite a few PM from fellow forummers, who sent me the quotes that Chong gave them, to ask me whether the quotes were OK! I have told them that it was between Chong and them and that they should discuss the quotes with Chong....!) I told guys that I had no issue with BUT Chong did not tell them everything....

I further informed "his friends" that I got the contractor who did my decking, to quote me the amount to fix the damages done by Chong's man, asking him to quote a reasonable amount as it was Chong'a men who caused he damage. The contractor informed me that the amount he quoted was for the work and material to fix the problem and that he was not making a profit as I had quite a bit of work done by him. Chong then rang the guy because he was not happy about the quote and the guy then rang me back to inform me that he " had a family and he was frightened as he has small children" to look after. He them apologised and said he was "very busy" and could not do my job! This after he quotes me for the job and wanted to know when I want him to start work!
I informed his "friends" that I can give them the contact numbers of the other contractors who have done work on my properties and they can ask them whether I have not paid the for work they did or withheld any payment after they did their work. They looked uncertain after that and my wife told me that one of the guys asked Chong, "..So now how...."l
Be warned this is how Chong will deal with his mistakes. He does not admit it and then tries to get his money through intimidation and threaten to cause grevious bodily harm!!
I went down to the Bukit Indah police station and made a complaint.
I am "washing my hands" of this chap and put all of you on Notice....!!

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
something to bear in mind... not sure whether this extends to renovation projects and what impact it has on cost/quality of work...

Triads have been harassing contractors for ages - the Star

PETALING JAYA: Triad members have been harassing contractors in the building industry by demanding protection money and asking for jobs, according to an industry insider.

He said such illegal practices had been going on for years and they were common in the Klang Valley and Johor.

He said if contractors did not pay protection money, some triad members would negotiate to be given sub-contract work such as supplying building materials or steel bar bending service.

“These gangsters will approach contractors and claim that the construction site is sitting on their ‘territory’.

“Some ask for monthly payments while others will leave the contractor alone if a lump sum is paid,” he said.

He said that although contractors were uncomfortable with the situation, most were already used to the practice and knew what to expect from the triads.

“We have learnt to manage them and try to speak to them nicely.

Normally, they do not threaten us with force such as by brandishing weapons.

“They will tell us that the area is ‘theirs’ and we have to pay to be ‘guarded’ by them,” he said, urging the authorities to solve the problem and beef up enforcement.

“If contractors refuse to pay gang members, will the police protect us? What will they do about contractors who have been bullied?” he asked.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Should call you genie in the potter. Such a word of wisdom.

old liao, not enough time to pa (fight)
drink tea, eat hot bun better still. titter.gif

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi

Anyone has a checklist for inspection of new house? What to look out for, marking of defects (with masking tape?), manhole, water proofing of toilet...etc..? I remember seeing a checklist shared by bro Wuji?

Thanks very much!

Skyhawk

I am totally agree with that all options.
It is just a fact that we has to deal these options before we start a work. It is really good also to make some planing about the project and to get a good result it is necessary to deal these options in a proper way.

Reply me please

usopgrasio

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi good people

want to improve the water flow/pressure at our new home at binapark. was given 2 options by the contractor.

1. to install pump
2. to do a pipe bypass to all the toilets.

anyone can advice me?

thnx

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi good people

want to improve the water flow/pressure at our new home at binapark. was given 2 options by the contractor.

1. to install pump
2. to do a pipe bypass to all the toilets.

anyone can advice me?

thnx

Even if you bypass will you get the desired pressure upstairs? I thought the norm is to install a tank+pump.