• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Josephine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Redsynwa, it's hard to compare pricing..the quality, the workmanship, the after sale service, etc..from different ID. Maybe check with their previous customers...(but u hav to pay higher when you engage ID).

Brought my crystal candelier from www.dealexpress.sg

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, I have just been quoted a renovation fee of RM 160K (yes, RM160K) by a 'famous' JB based ID. This is for a double storey terrace, & excludes wiring & false ceiling works. Appreciate if the bros and sis can comment accordingly. Thanks to all!

Summary of quote as follows:-

1) Kitchen cabinets = RM 33K, consisting of (Dry kitchen wooden: RM 21K) and (Wet kitchen aluminium: RM 12K)
2) Living room feature wall & TV console = RM 9K
3) Shoe cabinet = RM 4K
4) Foyer feature wall = RM 4K
5) Master bedroom wardrobes, side table, bed frames = RM 24K
6) Small family hall TV console = RM 2k
7) Vanity cabinets & mirror = RM 2k
8) Painting works, floor protection works, & cleaning/clearing = RM 16K
9) Masonry work for wet kitchen = RM 10K
10) Polyroof for yard & balcony area = RM 12K
11) Install sliding glass door & window at wet kitchen = RM 4K
12) Install glass & stainless steel railing at balcony & staircase = RM 22K
13) Polish 2nd floor & staircase parquet = RM 7K
14) Turfing & drainage for balcony area = RM 5K
15) Timber decking at balcony = RM 5K

Do you have floor plan to give some idea of the scale? Otherwise its not very clear e.g how large is the balcony area for the timber deck...2ftx8ft? 4ft x 12 ft?

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Potter

u see my rusty gate in my house , yr method only works for temporary ah ? i still have other pics of rusty at window panels etc , but file too big , unable to attach here

View attachment 9621

...looking at the gate, it will rust even if painted with anti-rust as the paint will scratch and peel as you slide the latch open and close. I would change the gate to stainless steel....especially since you intend to add auto-gate...might as well change the gate also.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have floor plan to give some idea of the scale? Otherwise its not very clear e.g how large is the balcony area for the timber deck...2ftx8ft? 4ft x 12 ft?

the material also matters, like the type and thickness of the kitchen wooden cabinet...

Josephine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can I ask, normally what are the payment like...how many percent after confirmation, have done and after complete? So far..ID asking for 45% once confirm but I'm not comfortable, as I'm afraid if they run away without Reno my place :(

How about sub-con, anyone can share? Cause they are asking 70% from me once confirm :( again no trust lor...

Please share, thank you.

Josephine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone know where can I buy those stove/cook top in JB..hmm..actually, I like those commercial type..when u fried rice, hor fun..have the wok smell :smile:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can I ask, normally what are the payment like...how many percent after confirmation, have done and after complete? So far..ID asking for 45% once confirm but I'm not comfortable, as I'm afraid if they run away without Reno my place :(

How about sub-con, anyone can share? Cause they are asking 70% from me once confirm :( again no trust lor...

Please share, thank you.

Most contractors wont even asked for a single cent can start work liao ! They work so fast until I pasei give them Chq a few Ks every week to be inline with their work done .

Josephine

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can buy at Best Mart , commercial type super ugly !

Thank u, Can I know where is Best Mart located? Different from Bestari Mart or same?
Actually, I don't know how commercial type look like :p
I bought induction cooktop n thot of getting another cooktop using gas when no electric or just love fried rice:smile:

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone know where can I buy those stove/cook top in JB..hmm..actually, I like those commercial type..when u fried rice, hor fun..have the wok smell :smile:

There is one place at the shop house just before bukit indah giant, its after the stretch of lighting shops. They sell some households stuff and al sorts of commercial cook wares.

Josephine

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is one place at the shop house just before bukit indah giant, its after the stretch of lighting shops. They sell some households stuff and al sorts of commercial cook wares.

Thank you.
Btw, any rules for commercial cooktop, can be in residential?
I'm using for my family not for business..hee..
I have bought induction cooktop so a gas cooktop will be good :smile:

tigerbear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, I have just been quoted a renovation fee of RM 160K (yes, RM160K) by a 'famous' JB based ID. This is for a double storey terrace, & excludes wiring & false ceiling works. Appreciate if the bros and sis can comment accordingly. Thanks to all!

Summary of quote as follows:-

1) Kitchen cabinets = RM 33K, consisting of (Dry kitchen wooden: RM 21K) and (Wet kitchen aluminium: RM 12K)
2) Living room feature wall & TV console = RM 9K
3) Shoe cabinet = RM 4K
4) Foyer feature wall = RM 4K
5) Master bedroom wardrobes, side table, bed frames = RM 24K
6) Small family hall TV console = RM 2k
7) Vanity cabinets & mirror = RM 2k
8) Painting works, floor protection works, & cleaning/clearing = RM 16K
9) Masonry work for wet kitchen = RM 10K
10) Polyroof for yard & balcony area = RM 12K
11) Install sliding glass door & window at wet kitchen = RM 4K
12) Install glass & stainless steel railing at balcony & staircase = RM 22K
13) Polish 2nd floor & staircase parquet = RM 7K
14) Turfing & drainage for balcony area = RM 5K
15) Timber decking at balcony = RM 5K

Refer to the following thread...some promotion for renovation and it cost MYR50k only.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?124792-Living-in-JB-3-(Johore)/page139

GilaPH

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone recommend me a contractor that does a good job for false ceilings and stuffs (L-Box, etc) for your ceilings?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most contractors wont even asked for a single cent can start work liao ! They work so fast until I pasei give them Chq a few Ks every week to be inline with their work done .

So good?! Was told the normal payment schedule is like this: 30, 30, 30, 10 percent. The first 30 percent for them to buy materials, next two 30 percent is based on progress and last 10 percent is the hold back payment to be paid one month after completion.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
So good?! Was told the normal payment schedule is like this: 30, 30, 30, 10 percent. The first 30 percent for them to buy materials, next two 30 percent is based on progress and last 10 percent is the hold back payment to be paid one month after completion.

No fixed rule one , we talk about trust and quality of work . Pay what you think their work is worth , give them a token sum to start work with.

Last edited:

SNSD2

Alfrescian
Loyal
No fixed rule one , we talk about trust and quality of work . Pay what you think their work is worth , give them a token sum to start work with.

agree. Sometimes, I paid 50 rm only.:biggrin: for project around 2 k rm
Some i paid 200 rm, for project abt 15 K rm

Those who asked for 70%, I asked them to 'fly kite'.

There is still one more contractor who has not touched up and rectified the defects, and I refused to pay him the last 10%.

Make sure you are in control , ur are the 'lao pan liang'... when interacting with these people, be firm ... never part with your money easily unless you are totally satisfied. :biggrin: