• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Panic Room

I was reading in Lowyat forums, 1 guy said he built an underground safe-room / panic room were he and his family could hide with food and water in case of emergency or attack from intruders.

Some said they build shutters to lock up the upper floors at the stairs to prevent intruders from getting to their bedrooms when they were asleep.
Some say they would just use a solid security door for the Masterbed room to function as a panic room in time of need.

I think these are interesting ideas especially for those who live in Landed properties.
We can have cctv, alarms and guards but what happens if they manage to get in?
Things stolen can be replaced... but our loved ones cannot....
Yes good idea search for a show on nat geographic where the owners do all kinds of modification to thier house call (doomsday preppers).

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes good idea search for a show on nat geographic where the owners do all kinds of modification to thier house call (doomsday preppers).

Wah looks extreme!
But I think most people will not go so far....
just create a safe area to retreat to, until the police/help shows up.
The most extreme scenario for me I think is riots
The type of room in The movie "Panic Room" looks very good already. :biggrin:

currahee

Alfrescian
Loyal

for house renovation, can i check if there is any approval needed for say hacking of non-structural walls? thanks.

currahee

Alfrescian
Loyal

but what are the things that really need approval?
to prevent issues when things do happen...

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
House extensions must have approvals. Usually the contractor will submit for you and advise you to start work, even though the approvals take 2-3 months from the town council.

If the drawings and extensions are legal, then no issue. If illegal, just pay the fine if the officers come to check. I haven't done my renovation yet, but this was shared to me by a contractor.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
House extensions must have approvals. Usually the contractor will submit for you and advise you to start work, even though the approvals take 2-3 months from the town council.

If the drawings and extensions are legal, then no issue. If illegal, just pay the fine if the officers come to check. I haven't done my renovation yet, but this was shared to me by a contractor.

Contractor quoted drawings plus submission RM2 to3K. I think not worth the risk, if kena fine, can be in 10k to 20K. Worst if collapses,kill someone how? Can kena fine 100s of thousands. However, lots of people did not submit plan for approval because they built their extension until the neighbor wall, which is illegal, cannot approve one.

Internal hacking of walls , dont need approval , unlikely to get into problems.

Last edited:

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contractor quoted drawings plus submission RM2 to3K. I think not worth the risk, if kena fine, can be in 10k to 20K. Worst if collapses,kill someone how? Can kena fine 100s of thousands. However, lots of people did not submit plan for approval because they built their extension until the neighbor wall, which is illegal, cannot approve one.

Internal hacking of walls , dont need approval , unlikely to get into problems.

Dont assume. True case in KL, where a house owner did internal reno and assumed no need local authority approval, kena fined by MPAJ (Ampang Jaya). Did a search on MPAJ's website...wah lan, there was really a form to obtain MPAJ's permission to do even internal work like kitchen cabinets, etc. While you can curse and swear at the contractor for not advising you, but at end of the day, who kena? You the owner. Better do due diligence to check with local authority first. Quick phone call shouldnt be a problem. I only worry contractor "Sweet talk" everything also can...everything also kautim. Yalah, kena that time is you hold the "shit" not him.
If you feel uncomfortable cos you dont know Malay, get your neighbour who knows Malay then. No excuses at end of the day for not doing your due diligence.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?111952-Renovation-to-your-homes&p=1375250#post1375250

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont assume. True case in KL, where a house owner did internal reno and assumed no need local authority approval, kena fined by MPAJ (Ampang Jaya). Did a search on MPAJ's website...wah lan, there was really a form to obtain MPAJ's permission to do even internal work like kitchen cabinets, etc. While you can curse and swear at the contractor for not advising you, but at end of the day, who kena? You the owner. Better do due diligence to check with local authority first. Quick phone call shouldnt be a problem. I only worry contractor "Sweet talk" everything also can...everything also kautim. Yalah, kena that time is you hold the "shit" not him.
If you feel uncomfortable cos you dont know Malay, get your neighbour who knows Malay then. No excuses at end of the day for not doing your due diligence.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?111952-Renovation-to-your-homes&p=1375250#post1375250

Yes read the above case @sammyboy . I think the KL MPAJ is really too bo liao , control until interior reno like cabinets , nothing that concern safety right? :confused: At least for those building extension , it is understanable that safety of buiding structure is a concern, if people anyhow built.

ezzzjj

Construction Cost psf range in JB?

Hello,
Does anyone know the range of budget I should have to construct from scratch a 4000sqft built up bungalow?
What is the Construction Cost psf range in JB?
Any recommendation of such contractor too?
Thank you.
Ed

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Vincent,I prefer wood finish cabinets. Those aluminum frame cabinets must be done well. If the workmanship is poor then you will notice the joints dont fit properly. Yes, it lasts longer but you dont have too much choice of material to chose, not like Formica.Anyway, I have not really seen much aluminum cabinets or wardrobes. Much of my woodwork will finish after next week so I'm hoping to see nice things.gong Xi Fa chai

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Kitchen Cabinet

Ikea furniture don't fit to the space and most cannot be customized. The wood are usually compressed chipboard as to customized factory made, from woodwork shop are solid plywood.the plywood are tough and will last longer if not in contact with water.so pay a little more, then it will look better too.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Construction Cost psf range in JB?

Hi Ezzzjj, the last I enquired I believe construction cost range from RM300 to RM500 psf, depending on your design. You will need architectural drawings. Nothing beats having a bungalow of your own design. You can enquire from my contractor, victor at [email protected].

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Construction Cost psf range in JB?

Hi guys, I am considering to get D'Cruz, Hong Lee and Oriwise to quote for my renovation & design. Anybody here has had any experience with these 3 ID companies? Thanks.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Kitchen Cabinet

Actually, many carpentry shops also use chipboard/particle board as their main raw material. You can opt for plywood but that has to be stated and the cost will be higher but it will definitely be more durable. There is water resistant plywood as well that you can choose but at a higher premium. The issue with plywood is that the amount/type of binder used to press the layers together can cause it to off-gas which is toxic.

I think more important is the veneer or top layer that goes over the raw substrate. If it is applied/bonded properly (especially at the edges) then moisture will not seep in and the shelves/cabinetry will last longer.

Ikea furniture don't fit to the space and most cannot be customized. The wood are usually compressed chipboard as to customized factory made, from woodwork shop are solid plywood.the plywood are tough and will last longer if not in contact with water.so pay a little more, then it will look better too.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Vincent,I prefer wood finish cabinets. Those aluminum frame cabinets must be done well. If the workmanship is poor then you will notice the joints dont fit properly. Yes, it lasts longer but you dont have too much choice of material to chose, not like Formica.Anyway, I have not really seen much aluminum cabinets or wardrobes. Much of my woodwork will finish after next week so I'm hoping to see nice things.gong Xi Fa chai

Hi Sandy,

I'm all for durability and low maintenance. And my wife likes the glass and aluminum combo too; specially black mirror or tinted glass. Understand what u mean about workmanship; same applies to wooded cabinets too, except if the aluminum joints are not cut/joint properly, there could b sharp edges.

All the best in the quality of the finishing. Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Booga

Alfrescian
Loyal
In case anyone of you thinking of doing minor and std house extension for front or back. You can get the std plan fm the Majlis Perbandaran of that area at RM50 only and pay submission fees and others. It will be slightly cheaper . If those complicated ones, need to draw a new one.

happyone

Hi there, is it possible to engage a mover company to move all our furniture from our Sg home to JB new home? Thanks.