• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renouncing at ICA SG or remotely?

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone had any trouble renouncing citizenship at ICA SG ?

Was thinking of tmaking a trip back. Not sure if I will get into trouble doing that. Or if anyone advises to renounce remotely outside of SG?

Anyone with information greatly appreciated.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need quite abit of paperwork to be filed, like the personal info of your siblings, parents, your NS records etc etc.

Get everything in order first. I believe it is on the 6th floor of ICA. Pretty much on the last floor. Have to surrender your IC and sing Passport too. If you come into singapore with your singapore passport, they will request that you leave the country and come back in using your other passport that you have.

What trouble are you anticipating? As long as you have done your NS, is not an issue.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for the info.

Entering SG using other passport should save a trip going in and out. So am hoping no problems come out of using other passport.

I have completed my NS reservist obligations years ago. Hoping the process will be a straightforward one and to complete the whole process in the 2-3 days. That’s why posting to see if anyone can share the info.

Will you be able to get the letter for CPF withdrawal on the same day ?

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone has indicated to me that I risked a fine for having 2 passports , as this is seen to be illegal. Is that correct ? Do you get a fine ?

I just want to do the renunciation and have the opportunity to say goodbye to some people.

i do not know the law well enough to know if I will get detained or risk a fine for coming into the country with another passport and obtaining another nationality.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will not get a fine for 2 passports. You need to be a citizen of another country before you can renounce your sing citizenship.

I really cannot remember the full procedure as it was long ago. I think i spent abt 2 weeks in singapore doing all this. Also get ready with your bank details to have the CPF credited into your overseas bank like routing number etc etc.

Arrange for 2 weeks of stay, Start doing things from the first day, then you will have a better understanding of how long everything will take.

Don't forget your singtel shares if you have any.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for the info.

Entering SG using other passport should save a trip going in and out. So am hoping no problems come out of using other passport.

I have completed my NS reservist obligations years ago. Hoping the process will be a straightforward one and to complete the whole process in the 2-3 days. That’s why posting to see if anyone can share the info.

Will you be able to get the letter for CPF withdrawal on the same day ?

Why you give up your sinkapore citizenship when you can have the best of both worlds? Sinkapore government will close an eye to your other citizenship. Leave your CPF money there and put into Special account to get highest interest rate.
Only talented sinkees can get dual citizenships; losing you is a great loss to our country. Please hang on to your Sinkapore passport.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone has indicated to me that I risked a fine for having 2 passports , as this is seen to be illegal. Is that correct ? Do you get a fine ?

I just want to do the renunciation and have the opportunity to say goodbye to some people.

i do not know the law well enough to know if I will get detained or risk a fine for coming into the country with another passport and obtaining another nationality.

No lah ...sinkapore unofficially accepts dual citizenship. You don't say, they don't know and they bochap.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will not get a fine for 2 passports. You need to be a citizen of another country before you can renounce your sing citizenship.

I really cannot remember the full procedure as it was long ago. I think i spent abt 2 weeks in singapore doing all this. Also get ready with your bank details to have the CPF credited into your overseas bank like routing number etc etc.

Arrange for 2 weeks of stay, Start doing things from the first day, then you will have a better understanding of how long everything will take.

Don't forget your singtel shares if you have any.

Thank you for your reply. It’s relevant and it’s informative. That’s a good start.

I have all my documents all ready. Passports, citizenship certificate etc.. I got what I could with the documents getting them notairised. But there are some which will require a Singapore Public Notiary, which I understand ICA has.

Unfortunately, I do not have 2 weeks to spend in SG. I was aiming to submit and leave in 4-5 days. The CPF document I guess can wait ?? The account for a few more months will be there even after I renounce ?

I

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you give up your sinkapore citizenship when you can have the best of both worlds? Sinkapore government will close an eye to your other citizenship. Leave your CPF money there and put into Special account to get highest interest rate.
Only talented sinkees can get dual citizenships; losing you is a great loss to our country. Please hang on to your Sinkapore passport.

Hello. Thank you for your response.

It would seem like it ,the best of both worlds. But as SG does not officially allow dual citizenship, I don’t really want to put myself at risk of (1) not being able to come to SG for whatever dual passport problems bring (2) not being able to withdraw CPF to continue my superannuation here. Which brings me to my questions.

The lump sum transfer to Australia. Has anyone have information about the tax on the lump sum or is it only on the interests becoming tax resident? Have read conflicting experiences in other postings but the OPs have not come back to confirm their experiences.

Appreciate anyone who has done it before to shed some light on this. Thank you.

Last edited:

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello. Thank you for your response.

The lump sum transfer to Australia. Has anyone have information about the tax on the lump sum or is it only on the interests becoming tax resident?

Please check with your Oz tax accountant. Very important. Tell your Oz tax accountant your situation and let him advise you accordingly.

Do not save this money. BTW most tax accountant do not charge for the 1st appointment. Spend sometime visit a few before you decide who to go with to assist you in your financials.

Also ask your tax accountant how to keep yourself below the ATO radar. Getting a letter from the ATO asking for details is no fun.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Koala88,

Happy New Year.

I assume from your handle that you have moved to Australia? Did you experience any problems yourself transferring your CPF? How did you handle the situation?

Yes, you are right about getting a qualified accountant and their tax advice. Posting here for a couple of reasons:
(1) to understand what the problems can be;
(2) to prepare myself for that conversation with the accountant;
(3) get some recommendations for accountants who might be familiar with CPF transfer to OZ issues.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

And thanks to anyone in advance to anyone for any information.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Koala88,

Happy New Year.

I assume from your handle that you have moved to Australia? Did you experience any problems yourself transferring your CPF? How did you handle the situation?

Yes, you are right about getting a qualified accountant and their tax advice. Posting here for a couple of reasons:
(1) to understand what the problems can be;
(2) to prepare myself for that conversation with the accountant;
(3) get some recommendations for accountants who might be familiar with CPF transfer to OZ issues.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

And thanks to anyone in advance to anyone for any information.

What you should do is ask CPF to transfer your entire balance to a local bank account. Then from there, you can remit whatever sums as and when you nedd it...and especially observing the exchange rates.

It is also better to make that trip to ICA & renounce there and then with all your original documents.

The process is that ICA will issue you a letter of certifying that you have renounced and with that letter only then you can approach CPF for processing your withdrawal of the monies.

You will also need to get your local bank to certify that your account is indeed genuine before CPF process your application. Any Singtel shares you have in your CPF shares accoun, you should starting selling them off now. I did not even know I had them and had to endure more documentation processing as a result.

Expect up to 6 weeks for completion.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Koala88,

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year!!

I am still a SG citizen with Oz PR. So my CPF is still stuck there.

When I moved my money a few years after settling in Oz, it gotten ATO query.

What Bobby said is true. Move your CPF to a local bank and then move them to Oz when the exchange rates is favourable - not at the current rate.

Also by moving to a local bank, you can then move your funds slowly in small amount to be under the radar.

Surely you don't want to attract unnecessary attention when you move your entire CPF and trigger being monitored.

Hope this helps.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you should do is ask CPF to transfer your entire balance to a local bank account. Then from there, you can remit whatever sums as and when you nedd it...and especially observing the exchange rates.

It is also better to make that trip to ICA & renounce there and then with all your original documents.

The process is that ICA will issue you a letter of certifying that you have renounced and with that letter only then you can approach CPF for processing your withdrawal of the monies.

You will also need to get your local bank to certify that your account is indeed genuine before CPF process your application. Any Singtel shares you have in your CPF shares account, you should starting selling them off now. I did not even know I had them and had to endure more documentation processing as a result.

Expect up to 6 weeks for completion.

Thank you for your reply.

When you say "need to get your local bank to certify that your account is indeed genuine before CPF process your application", how do I do that? I have a local bank account still in SG.

I have no SG tel shares. No HDB flat.

Basically, I resigned from my job in SG to move to OZ.

Thanks for your info.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Happy New Year!!

I am still a SG citizen with Oz PR. So my CPF is still stuck there.

When I moved my money a few years after settling in Oz, it gotten ATO query.

What Bobby said is true. Move your CPF to a local bank and then move them to Oz when the exchange rates is favourable - not at the current rate.

Also by moving to a local bank, you can then move your funds slowly in small amount to be under the radar.

Surely you don't want to attract unnecessary attention when you move your entire CPF and trigger being monitored.

Hope this helps.

Hi Koala88,

When you got queried, how did you resolve the situation? Was there anything you have to do to answer their query?

Thanks for you sharing.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for your reply.

When you say "need to get your local bank to certify that your account is indeed genuine before CPF process your application", how do I do that? I have a local bank account still in SG.

I have no SG tel shares. No HDB flat.

Basically, I resigned from my job in SG to move to OZ.

Thanks for your info.

This will be the CPF withdrawal application form

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for your speedy reply.

You mean the form will require the bank details? Or does it need a letter from the bank to say I have an account with them ?

Have you also renounced your SG-ship? Did you do the process in SG or remotely ? I was hoping to come back and enter with the other passport to do the renouncing at ICA. Not sure if will get into trouble using the other passport to enter.

You are kind to share this much already. Thank you very much.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for your speedy reply.

You mean the form will require the bank details? Or does it need a letter from the bank to say I have an account with them ?

Have you also renounced your SG-ship? Did you do the process in SG or remotely ? I was hoping to come back and enter with the other passport to do the renouncing at ICA. Not sure if will get into trouble using the other passport to enter.

You are kind to share this much already. Thank you very much.

You can get all you need from this web page : www.cpf.gov.sg/Members/faq/schemes/Other-Matters/CPF-Withdrawals-on-Other-Grounds.

If you are an Australian you must leave the country using the Australian passport and re-entry also using the Australian passport. It is against the law if you do not, as the relevant authorities need to know that if you are away from the country for prolonged periods and hence not entitled to any centrelink benefits as such.

You may enter Singapore using your Singapore passport if you wish, but if you going to give it up...no point unless you intending to stay in Singapore for longer than 3 months.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep you’re right.

There will be documents which needs to be notarised. If ICA does not have a pubic notary, will have to find one to notorise. Then make it on same day to ICA, assuming no appointment needed, hand in the documents, and hopefully can finish the process in one day (or two).

Will they issue you with the letter on the same day ? I don’t think I will the time to stay for more than 5 days.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Why dont you email the ICA to ask them your questions?

You can also make an appointment with them to renounce your citizenship. It is what I did. They were very helpful.