• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Remembering war hero Lim Bo Seng

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remembering Lim Bo Seng, Singapore's war hero

Future generations must not forget the sacrifices made by Singapore's pioneers, and peace for a country comes only when one is able to defend the nation, said the family of Singapore’s war hero Lim Bo Seng, at a ceremony on Sunday to mark 70 years since his death.

lim-bo-seng-memorial.png
People lay wreaths at Kranji War Cemetery at a ceremony to mark 70 years since Lim Bo Seng's death.

SINGAPORE: Future generations must not forget the sacrifices made by Singapore's pioneers, and peace for a country comes only when one is able to defend the nation, said the family of Singapore’s war hero Lim Bo Seng.

They were at a ceremony at Kranji War Cemetery on Sunday morning to mark 70 years since his death at the hands of the Japanese military police during the Japanese Occupation in Malaya and Singapore.

The ceremony was organised by Changi Museum.

Lim Bo Seng was one of many operatives in Force 136 tasked to infiltrate and conduct sabotage missions in Japanese-occupied Malaya.

The agents were trained in India and sent to their missions which were often dangerous, but conducted by ordinary civilians who were compelled by a greater cause.

His son, Dr Lim Whye Geok, said he was only four years old when his father left Singapore to join Force 136.

He said his memories of his father have been built up through stories shared by his eldest sister, and from a diary Lim Bo Seng had left behind for his wife after his death.

Dr Lim read an excerpt during the ceremony: "My duty and honour will not permit me to look back. Every day, tens of thousands are dying for their countries.

“You must not grieve for me. On the other hand, you should take pride in my sacrifice and devote yourself to the upbringing of the children. Tell them what happened to me and direct them along my footsteps."

Lim Bo Seng’s daughter, Lim Oon Geok, said: "In his letter to my mother, he had written that when you start something, no matter what, you have to see it to his end. And he did say that when he bid goodbye to all of us, he never thought that it was eternal."

As Singapore turns 50, his family hopes the legacy and sacrifices made by him and other pioneers are not forgotten.

Lim Teck Yin, Lim Bo Seng’s grandson, said: "For me, when I had the opportunity to read my grandfather's diary, the full extent of the sense of sacrifice and the pain particularly of leaving behind my grandmother and the children remains very stark in my memory.

“For Singapore going forward, we always need to remember that we stand on foundations that our pioneers have set and that every generation has got to build for the next generation."

Lim Bo Seng died in a Perak prison in 1944.

His remains were later buried at MacRitchie Reservoir in 1946.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Pe
The agents were trained in India and sent to their missions which were often dangerous, but conducted by ordinary civilians who were compelled by a greater cause.

My gawd no wonder the missions were all failures.

LKY did a far better job by confusing the enemy with his translations.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yalor, it's so much easier.to be a traitor than to be a war hero. Furthermore, that's the best option during that time, according to old mafia mentor LKY.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Again Lt Adnan bin Saidi is not mentioned. The Malays and the rest of Singapore has to get their history right.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U r right...was told that the circumstances of Lim Bo Seng's capture was due to his own incompetence..he had some items on him that made the japs arrest him..like a British watch or some British papers...not really worthy to be a hero..but he was against the japs and did die due to his fight against them. Unlike old fart n prata man....who slept with the enemy and betrayed their fellow countrymen to save their own hide..and of course get rich...

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LKY was a British undercover agent then. he and Prataman were the only members of the above top secret Force 631 infiltrating deep into the Japanese Kempeitai.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY was a British undercover agent then. he and Prataman were the only members of the above top secret Force 631 infiltrating deep into the Japanese Kempeitai.

LKY allied himself with anyone to save himself so that he could screw you know who.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U r right...was told that the circumstances of Lim Bo Seng's capture was due to his own incompetence..he had some items on him that made the japs arrest him..like a British watch or some British papers...not really worthy to be a hero..but he was against the japs and did die due to his fight against them. Unlike old fart n prata man....who slept with the enemy and betrayed their fellow countrymen to save their own hide..and of course get rich...

KMT major-general ( posthumous ) Lim Bo Seng fought for China's interests in Malaya then.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think he shud be promoted posthumously to full general otherwise there are bunch of useless paper Lt general MG Lim Boh Seng must salute to

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lucky Mr. Lim didn't meet any of those ungrateful Singaporeans otherwise all his efforts will be wasted when he asked himself what is the point of fighting for ungrateful people.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fxxxking FAP Traitors were trying to demote him 5 years ago!

icon1.png
Re: PAPee's Debasing of Lim Bo Seng Remembered!
http://www.petitiononline.com/sghero/petition.html

To: Prime Minister of Singapore

We refer to the theft of the storyboard at the memorial of WWII War Hero Major-General Lim Bo Seng and his subsequent demotion to the rank of Major by the Singapore Government in the replacement storyboard (see letter dated 19 May 07 in the Straits Times below). We find the reason given for the demotion to be unacceptable and insulting as it is worldwide practice (including that in Singapore) to address fallen uniformed officers with their posthumous rank. This is to show respect and gratitude to the sacrifices they made for the people.

Till death, Major-General Lim did not yield to the enemy after being captured and tortured while many took the rewarding way out to collaborate and conspire with the enemy. Major-General Lim was himself sold out to the enemy by traitors (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lim_Bo_Seng). The readiness by Major-General Lim to serve and lay down his life for his people in an age in which ministers and elite civil servants need to be paid tens of millions to prevent corruption should be held as a shining example for the current and future generations of Singaporeans to follow.

We, citizens of Singapore and concerned individuals, reject the frivolous demotion of Major-General Lim Bo Seng to the rank of Major by the Singapore Government. Not only is this an act of gross disrespect towards a national hero, it is also a blatant attempt to rewrite history. We insist that posthumous rank of Major-General be restored in the storyboard at the memorial for Major-General Lim Bo Seng.

==========

May 19, 2007
Lim Bo Seng a major when he led Force 136

I REFER to the letter, 'WWII hero Lim Bo Seng 'demoted'' (ST, May 15), by Mr Nicholas Joshua Law.
The information on the storyboard erected near the Lim Bo Seng Memorial reads: 'The memorial was built in 1954 in memory of Major Lim Bo Seng who led Force 136, an anti-Japanese resistance movement.'

When war hero Lim Bo Seng led Force 136, he was then a major in rank. It was only posthumously that he was accorded the rank of major-general by the nationalist government in China in 1946.

Seen in this context, the statement is factually accurate.

The storyboard is part of the Civic District Trail, which was officially launched in 1999 to allow participants to learn more about the area's historic landmarks. The information was verified by a working committee comprising historians from the former Singapore History Museum (now known as the National Museum of Singapore), archivists from the National Archives of Singapore and other government officials.

We hope we have addressed Mr Law's concern. We thank him for his feedback and hope to see more members of the public embark on our Civic District Trail.

Walter Lim
Director
Corporate Communications & Industry Promotion
National Heritage Board

==========
Sincerely, The Undersigned

Last edited: