• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Red Devils 2017-2018

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United: Jose Mourinho to drop players for FA Cup semi-final against Spurs
_100904301_pogba_martial_getty.jpg

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba was replaced in the 58th minute in defeat by West Brom

Manchester United players who performed poorly in their Premier League defeat by West Brom will be dropped for Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham, says boss Jose Mourinho.

The Red Devils were beaten 1-0 by bottom side West Bromat Old Trafford on Sunday, ensuring Manchester City won the Premier League title.

United play Bournemouth in the league on Wednesday before facing Spurs.

"The way you play is the only way I can select players," said Mourinho.

The Portuguese manager said "some of the guys" that played against West Brom "don't have a place" in the team for the semi-final at Wembley.

He added the Bournemouth match at Vitality Stadium was "an opportunity for some people to play and to try to get a place in the team for Spurs".

When asked to clarify if he meant those who performed badly against the Baggies will now not face Spurs, Mourinho said: "Yeah.

"What is the criteria for a manager to choose a team?

"I only know one criteria: is the way you play.

"Or do you want me to go for the price they cost, or their salary, or their beautiful face? The only way is to go with performance."

United midfielder Ander Herrera was taken off at half-time against West Brom, while Paul Pogba was replaced in the 58th minute.

Regarding Pogba's performance, Mourinho said: "It was not just him and he had a yellow card, so he was in a more difficult position than others.

"And playing with only two midfield players, you cannot play with one player in risk of not being able to make a foul.

"You can do it if your team is not losing the ball, but our team was losing the ball so easy with the complication, everything was complicated, so we were losing lots of balls.

"Paul was out because of the yellow card, because of in terms the way he played he was not worse than some others that were on the pitch for 90 minutes."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43791546

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tonight semis vs Spurs, how?

Venue: Wembley Stadium
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur
_100956767_rom.jpg

Romelu Lukaku has scored in each round United have played in so far this season, netting five goals in total.

TEAM NEWS
Jose Mourinho said he will recall Antonio Valencia, Nemanja Matic and Romelu Lukaku, who were all rested in midweek against Bournemouth.

Phil Jones and Daley Blind both returned from injury in that game and may be involved at Wembley.

Dele Alli is among several expected Tottenham changes, having been left out for the midweek draw with Brighton.

Danny Rose remains sidelined by a calf issue and Harry Winks is a long-term absentee with an ankle problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES
Guy Mowbray: "As often happens, we have a semi-final that many would have liked for the final itself, with a real feeling of 'all or nothing'.

"Mauricio Pochettino may ultimately be right with his repeated assertions that winning the cup won't take Spurs to "a different level", but as his opposite number would tell us, you can't underestimate the importance of winning that first silverware.

"It would even be significant for them to lay the bogey of seven successive semi-final defeats.

"Jose Mourinho has stressed his record as a winner this week, and how he'd dearly love to win a third trophy* in two seasons at United. Maybe that would put their supposed 'travails' in a bit of perspective?"

*The Community Shield makes it four.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on playing the match at Wembley: "I don't think it's an advantage [for Spurs] at all. I played one cup final in Roma's stadium against Roma and I won. I played a cup final in my stadium and I lost. So I think when you go to these big moments with these big decisions, semi-finals, finals, I don't think it's an advantage.

"In some countries the cup semi-final is played home and away, not (in a) neutral ground, like in England. That's just football.

"Sometimes it's at home, sometimes it's away. This time it's away, but I don't see any advantage. For me it's the same as playing at Old Trafford."

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino: "I promise you the club is not going to change if you win or don't win the FA Cup or the League Cup. It would be fantastic to add that trophy to the club but what would put us to a different level would be to win the Premier League or Champions League.

"That is going to put you in a different level. Here, people love to talk about perception and changing perceptions. Good Champions League group stage - you beat Dortmund, Real Madrid and you compete very well against Juventus and the dimension of the club around the world changes completely."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
I just don't see it being a feast of football this time, and Mourinho will not want an open game. If Spurs score early again then of course that changes things, but he will keep things tight for as long as he can.

Both teams will be thinking if they get through this round they can win the competition - Southampton are battling relegation and Chelsea are not the side they were last season.

Prediction: 1-1 AET - Man Utd to win on penalties.

Lawro's predictions v BBC Asian Network DJ Noreen Khan

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
  • The teams have met in 10 previous FA Cup ties, progressing five times each.
  • Manchester United have won each of their last three FA Cup ties against Tottenham, in 1997, 2008 and 2009. Their most recent defeat came in a third-round replay in January 1980.
Manchester United
  • This will be Manchester United's 29th appearance in the FA Cup semi-finals - equalling Arsenal's record set last season.
  • After a run of 13 straight FA Cup semi-final wins, the Red Devils have been eliminated from two of their last three - in 2009 against Everton and 2011 versus Manchester City.
  • Romelu Lukaku has scored in every round Manchester United have played in so far this season, netting five goals in total.
  • Alexis Sanchez has scored five goals in his four FA Cup games at Wembley Stadium, including the winner in both semi-final appearances.
  • Jose Mourinho could become the third manager to win the FA Cup with two different clubs, after Herbert Chapman with Huddersfield Town in 1922 and Arsenal in 1930, and Billy Walker with Sheffield Wednesday in 1935 and Nottingham Forest in 1959.
Tottenham Hotspur
  • Tottenham have lost each of their last seven FA Cup semi-final ties - the longest such run in the competition's history.
  • Spurs are the highest scorers in this season's FA Cup, with 17 goals in six games.
  • The last club to be knocked out of the FA Cup at the semi-final stage in consecutive seasons was Nottingham Forest in 1987-88 and 1988-89, with both defeats coming against Liverpool.
  • Son Heung-min has had a hand in 14 goals in his 15 FA Cup appearances (nine goals, five assists - more than any other player in the competition over the past three seasons.
  • Erik Lamela has been directly involved in five goals in his last four FA Cup appearances (two goals, three assists).
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43762296)

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mourinho's Manchester United show true grit
_100978663_manchester_united_reuters.jpg

United have now reached their 29th major domestic cup final, more than any other side in English football

Ander Herrera's winner sent Manchester United into a record-equalling 20th FA Cup final and condemned Tottenham to their eighth successive defeat at this stage of the competition.

Man of the match - Alexis Sanchez
Class tells for this shorty in big stage -2 FA cup winners with Gunners before. Narrowly beat Herrera for man of match

_100978970_alexis_sanchez_getty.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43762296

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really surprised Vorm started instead of Lloris. He would have saved the second goal. Anyways good job by man utd albeit helped by spurs own undoing.

Let’s see if we can get Southampton.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really surprised Vorm started instead of Lloris. He would have saved the second goal. Anyways good job by man utd albeit helped by spurs own undoing.

Let’s see if we can get Southampton.

I thot Lloris was injured but Vorm was a picture of "confidence":eek::biggrin:. The fear on his face was an indication on what was to come.
Herrera played well. He needs to step up when Pogba stops playing. Pogba probably realized that none of the other big clubs are interested with his poor form and bloated wage. I reckon he will stay.
Martial is the likely big name to leave. Blessed with talent but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. He's a different player when he made his debut for United.
You could sense that all is not well with him.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thot Lloris was injured but Vorm was a picture of "confidence":eek::biggrin:. The fear on his face was an indication on what was to come.
Herrera played well. He needs to step up when Pogba stops playing. Pogba probably realized that none of the other big clubs are interested with his poor form and bloated wage. I reckon he will stay.
Martial is the likely big name to leave. Blessed with talent but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. He's a different player when he made his debut for United.
You could sense that all is not well with him.
I also will be buay song if I am relegated to 11 from 9. Greatest irony is that 9 is only half a season.

I think he deserve more chances. He scored pretty good goals and he should be convinced to stay. Rashford and him blazing down each flanks is gonna be a force to be reckoned.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho approves Anthony Martial move to Juventus - report
MANCHESTER UNITED boss Jose Mourinho has reportedly approved Anthony Martial’s potential move to Juventus.
By JACK OTWAY https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ansfer-news-Anthony-Martial-Juventus-approves
00:15, Mon, May 7, 2018 | UPDATED: 08:11, Mon, May 7, 2018

Wright: Martial and Rashford won't be comfortable at United

Manchester United form wane.

And Italian newspaper Tuttosport say Mourinho has given Martial the green light to join Juventus this summer.

It is said he cannot see a future for the 22-year-old at Old Trafford.

Manchester-United-transfer-news-Anthony-Martial-956054.jpg
GETTY

Man Utd transfer news: Anthony Martial appears set to join Juventus this summer