• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recently divorced man suffering from maintenance payment woes and feeling suicidal

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Nr Gilbert,

I have went through a divorce recently, the final judgement has been laid and I need to pay my ex her and the child’s maintenance fee of $350.

I suffered from Anxiety Disorder and Depression since 23 years old.

I am also a low salaried worker and my income frequently hovers below the $1000 mark.

My friend recommends a catholic lawyer and he seems unable to defend my case well and even tend to support the stand of the lawyer from my ex-wife side!

When I was married, I thought that I would be married happily forever but then ……this is the outcome I got after marrying my ex….and in the end I have to go through the agony of paying regular maintenance fee when she filed for divorce.

I felt really very frustrated at times but yet I can’t do anything about it – there is a critical lack of voice here to represent the interests of our divorced men.

The women can simply file for divorce after marrying for a short while citing all sorts of excuses and after that the man has to cough up whatever amount the family court approves and it so difficult to try and bring it down later on.

Moreover, all this while, the mother has almost sole custody of the child and to me joint custody is just but a myth.

When I visited my child during visitation rights, he shuns away from me and my ex wife also gave me the cold shoulder.

It broke my hear to see my own child running away from me and to a father, this is the hardest part of the divorce ordeal

Nowadays, I dread to visit my child as its an awful experience to say the least.

I sometimes felt very hurt and in my mind I have this thought – why not just i finish myself off and then the troubles will be no more?

Moreover, I strongly felt that this is not the man’s fault but why does the Woman’s Charter keeps on pressing the man so hard on maintenance matter?

I may eventually end up in jail one day as I am already feeling the pressure of having to cough up a montly amount come rain or shine.

Its not that we don’t want to pay but we can’t pay as our salary is so miserable here.

I strongly felt that there must be some kind of law here to protect the interests of our men from being con by the wife.

Now, our woman knew that the Women’s Charter can help them make money …and why not divorce and re-marries so that she can make more money…..and no one can stop them.

I would suggest that a man’s organisation be set up to act as a voice for men who suffer injustices because of our bias Women’s Chapter here.

I hope that more can be done to protect the interests of our divorced men here as a divorce affects all parties involved.

No wonder, in today’s modern marriages, many families give up the idea of having a child – perhaps they are thinking of the adverse consequences of a divorce if it happens one day.

Thanks alot for listening.

Jeffrey

transitioning.org

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Recently divorced man suffering from maintenance payment woes and feeling suicida

Why is a man earning below $1,000 marrying and having kids?

M

Mdm Tang

Re: Recently divorced man suffering from maintenance payment woes and feeling suicida

" you try not getting marry ...

its much better to get marry than not to ..."

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Dear Nr Gilbert,

I have went through a divorce recently,

His English is so bad I'm not surprised his wife walked out on him. :rolleyes:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal

You neber tried to upgrade and earn more then $1000 before? Not even try?

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

He listened to Tharm ah neh that with $1000 not only can he have kids , he could also afford a HDB flat of his own!:biggrin:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

what talking you! many members here also of same standard what!

Didn't you noticed Ah Sam have been cursing 'the many members' here since Day 1?:biggrin:

Last edited:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hhmmmm ....

heard of cases whereby the husband on the run for many years and elak the maintainance but never kena caught !!:o

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am usually sympathetic.

But this guy? Getting married and having a kid all on a less than 1k salary and still naively thinks that he could live happily ever after?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

This thread should be merged with the one posted in the political folder.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Woman charter should be abolish.

cantbeassed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Does his divorce has anything to do with his being suicidal?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More business for the undertakers then.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why don't he just quit his job and say that he is jobless and can't pay the maintenance of $350? It's not worth working at a $1000 job and having misery after work.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Umm.. Where is laksaboy?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why don't he just quit his job and say that he is jobless and can't pay the maintenance of $350? It's not worth working at a $1000 job and having misery after work.

I agree. He should quit, be penniless and die from starvation. Clearly, he is poor and has no dignity and pride to even want to support his own child.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am usually sympathetic.

But this guy? Getting married and having a kid all on a less than 1k salary and still naively thinks that he could live happily ever after?

The question to ask is who did he vote for in GE2011?

yaosiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

350 where got enough?

Childcare already that amount. Where got money to eat?