• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rebecca and Gabriel Loh - "No one gets left behind"

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
She wasn't left behind. She had a flat to live in. She had more than enough to eat. She had money for a pram. The problem with her is she left her brain behind.

I thot the flat was her mum's

What does she eat? Rice n cheap soya sauce? ... she is jobless n won't even get a paid fuck in Desker..

Pram? Retrieved from the dumps. Prem Kumar maybe.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before blaming the PAP for everything, why don't Singaporeans take a long hard look at themselves and explain why in an HDB block where thousands live, not a single person offered any form of financial or emotional help to make life more bearable for Rebecca and Gabriel.

Maybe because most of the destitute people are housed in the same blocks of rental housing under the scheme implemented by the PAP? Sure, easier to take care of them, another way to look at it is to keep em out of sight. It's hard to be a first world country when your people are suffering from poverty out in the open ain't it.

The endless rat race culture doesn't help either, also thanks to PAP policies, Singaporeans have become a mindless society of drones with an obsession with making money. We have become blinded by greed, it's kinda a top down thing.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure there are more like her or even worse case, we will only know about it when it appear in the headline news one day. We can't help as a community if we don't know where they are in the first place. It is the grassroots, that do house to house visits, meet the MP crap that have that information. It is not that we want to blame the gov but they did not make use of the Tax money, the resources, man power and grassroots network to look out and assist them before something bad happen. Same for the press, if they reported such cases instead of busy being a mouth piece of PAP , I'm sure many will step forward to assist.

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure there are more like her or even worse case, we will only know about it when it appear in the headline news one day. We can't help as a community if we don't know where they are in the first place. It is the grassroots, that do house to house visits, meet the MP crap that have that information. It is not that we want to blame the gov but they did not make use of the Tax money, the resources, man power and grassroots network to look out and assist them before something bad happen. Same for the press, if they reported such cases instead of busy being a mouth piece of PAP , I'm sure many will step forward to assist.

you still think sph will report things like this?? soon even online discussions like this will be gone because no one will be allowed report anything that is not pap approved

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I definitely didn't move here for the welfare benefits. My taxes are what is supporting those lazy good for nothing brown skins.

I chose NZ because I like the weather and the open spaces and the beautiful scenery and the variety of having 4 seasons.... the long days of summer, the cosy winter nights next to the fire place, the beautiful colours of autumn, the freshness of spring. It's the total package that is to my liking despite the fact that the country has many faults.

and you bitch about this to no end when no one forced you to move to NZ. you expect NZ to change to accommodate your anti-welfare sentiments. are you no better than the average sinkie who complains about their own government?

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
In other words the PAP attitude is simply the result of Karma. Payback time for the bastard attitude of sinkies. What goes round comes round. :p

you wrongly assume its a government reflecting the people. in our case, its the people reflecting the government.

this is the government's karma for pushing unbridled growth in the last 20 years.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
and you bitch about this to no end when no one forced you to move to NZ. you expect NZ to change to accommodate your anti-welfare sentiments. are you no better than the average sinkie who complains about their own government?

I repeat... no country is perfect. You have to weigh the pros vs the cons and make a judgement call.

My method of dealing with social welfare system is by making sure I minimise my taxes so the scum of society get as little of my money as possible.

If all goes to plan, I'll be out of here in a couple of years to a place where I pay no taxes at all. Again, there are trade offs. Taxes are non existent but costs are a lot higher.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And I have already explained unpteen times that she wasn't left behind. She left her birth control pills behind or the father of the child left his condoms behind.

Should be UMPTEEN and Not Unpteen please.

Have to point out the error as it should not be coming from a well-lettered person like you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no expectation that the Govt or any Govt for that matter is required to look after everyone from cradle to grave. Granted some countries have gone overboard and the system has been abused. I am sure everyone gets it.

The main issues behind starting this thread has nothing to do with a welfare state. The issues are as follows;

1. How many Singaporeans actually fall in the Rebecca/Gabriel situation. My guess is very very few. Should we not have some sort of responsibility towards these people.

2. Why politicise this sad situation by standing in front of the house in uniforms and in numbers. What was the purpose? Why now? Why not earlier. Should we not have a register of such people where the welfare services people drop by at least once a year to make an assessment. Have you seen the building and the interior of the building that houses the responsible Minstry has the responsibility? Very plush.

3. Though I did not start this thread to address the issue of society looking after itself, I concede that besides the Govt, the rest of us can do something. This is where the bloody ministry can come in and do something. If they have a proper register and do a matching service, I am sure of uncles and aunties can help. What is so hard to drop by once a week with plastic bag of essentials and some goodies and spend sometime with Gabriel while the mum and the grandmother get some quality for themselves.

Vulnerable people tend to keep to themselves and will not let anyone else in unless the Govt facilitates. Volunteers can also be vetted by the Police so that we don't allow perverts and conman access.

So lets not revisit the welfare state argument. We are not talking about an able bodied individual who is a bum.

Last edited:

coldbutt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, the ministry did do something. Sometime ago, they published a booklet for caretaker of the chronically ill, teaching them the survival tactics. They know it is very draining, emotionally and mentally, to the caretakers. But just go and read the booklet, you would be superman and superwoman after that. No need for further effort from the ministry. What a cost effective solution!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
So lets not revisit the welfare state argument. We are not talking about an able bodied individual who is a bum.

There is no country in the world that has successfully dealt with these sorts of cases to the point where they no longer occur.

Some humans simply don't have what it takes to deal with life no matter what sort of formalised support structure is put in place by the state.

You don't have to be poor either. There are always cases of children of multi millionaires being unable to deal with the demons in their lives.

Just accept the fact that the genetic diversity will always throw up a whole spectrum of outcomes and let's move on.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree..

As a simple experiment, how many Singaporeans actually know their next door neighbors? I can safely say many live for many many (some > 20years) and never really know their neighbor.

Smiling and politely nodding in the corridor and inane weather talk when trapped together is NOT knowing your neighbor..

The PAP does not care because Singapore society as a whole does not care. A government is merely a reflection of the people.

nutty

Alfrescian
Loyal
everybody gets left behind except the white maggots, they are way way ahead...............

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
I repeat... no country is perfect. You have to weigh the pros vs the cons and make a judgement call.

My method of dealing with social welfare system is by making sure I minimise my taxes so the scum of society get as little of my money as possible.

If all goes to plan, I'll be out of here in a couple of years to a place where I pay no taxes at all. Again, there are trade offs. Taxes are non existent but costs are a lot higher.

you can call it tax minimization, but your fellow citizens in NZ would view you as a tax dodger. look at the mess google got themselves into with their offshore tax dodging.

so our citizenry's method of dealing with a "leave-no-one-behind government" that's PERCEIVED to break its promises, is to punish them at the ballot box so that super-scale elites will re-look their policies from their $10m condo/ivory towers.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no expectation that the Govt or any Govt for that matter is required to look after everyone from cradle to grave. Granted some countries have gone overboard and the system has been abused. I am sure everyone gets it.

Bull crap. since when were you allowed to tear up the social contract? senile old man, your kind will all die soon and we will dig up your graves to pave new roads over it. you have no concept of state, government and the electorate. stop spewing your pre-approved party line and causing everyone here to read the wrong things online.