• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Question on Life insurance

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought a Living Insurance Policy since 1997.

Sum insured at $50K

If surrender now, would get @ $37K

Currently Mid 50s of age

Yearly premium $2000/-

Can any bros advice whether its worthwhile to continue with above policy?

Or should i just terminate since surrender value not far from sum assured?

Thanks in advance.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah sounds good to terminate since the cash value is so near to the sum assured and premium so high at $2000.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah sounds good to terminate since the cash value is so near to the sum assured and premium so high at $2000.

Tks.

I thought so too. If theres another policy that can link my present one, increased in the sum assured, i dont mind. But of course yearly premium would increase too considering my age.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Thanks in advance.

How much would you get if you kicked the bucket?

If you do expire, will your family still need financial support at this stage of your life?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How much would you get if you kicked the bucket?

If you do expire, will your family still need financial support at this stage of your life?

$50k is all he gets when he passes on and that is small change, make little difference in sinkapore.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
$50k is all he gets when he passes on and that is small change, make little difference in sinkapore.

Nope if the policy has a surrender value it means it is a whole life not a term policy. Upon his demise, he [family] gets $50k PLUS all the bonuses PLUS whatever riders he may have on the policy.

I have an insurance policy still running for the same amount. I cashed in a couple of others but kept this one because it has a medical rider of $250,000.

Never give advice on insurance policy matters without knowing the details.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nope if the policy has a surrender value it means it is a whole life not a term policy. Upon his demise, he [family] gets $50k PLUS all the bonuses PLUS whatever riders he may have on the policy.

I have an insurance policy still running for the same amount. I cashed in a couple of others but kept this one because it has a medical rider of $250,000.

Never give advice on insurance policy matters without knowing the details.

Haen Ah, I didn't give any advice to him. Just replying to you. Kam sia for your advice ah.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Where shall I hang my head in the hall of shame? :*:

There is no need for that. All you have to do is remember that in future, before you make any comment or pass judgement on anything, it pays to find out a bit more first.

Enjoy777

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought a Living Insurance Policy since 1997.

Sum insured at $50K

If surrender now, would get @ $37K

Currently Mid 50s of age

Yearly premium $2000/-

Thanks in advance.

1. Is there a critical illness rider attached? If yes, the old CI definition is better than that of present day. Also depends on which insurer.

2. Look at a term cover for $50k (with or without the critical illness cover). Does it cost more than $2,000 for your age now? But note a term cover does not have cash value.

3. Please remember, your annual premium of $2,000, has a cash component and bonus component. There is cash value.

4. Usually worthwhile to continue a life policy especially more than 20 years of paid premium already. Bonuses escalate from 20 years mark and 30 years mark.

Recommend to keep policy.

Enjoy !

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless the $37k is needed urgently for some purpose or it can be deployed to earn a better return, then it seems there is little reason to cash out now.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when does the insurance policy end ? this is the important point at issue. i doubt people want to keep paying the premium into their mid 70s... TS should consider cashing out the policy now if the policy still has a long time to run, like twenty years before expiration. retain the policy if he wants to leave behind the insurance money for his family.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks.

I thought so too. If theres another policy that can link my present one, increased in the sum assured, i dont mind. But of course yearly premium would increase too considering my age.

If you are talking about increasing the sum assured by buying another policy, beside yearly premium would increase with age, also must consider whether any illness since 97 to now that will end up as exclusion in new policy. Must make sure buy and settle new policy first before terminating the current one.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you need the money and never lugi much then just cash out (note value of money drop liao).
Some years back I cashed out a policy halfway after 15 years.....still short of a few thousand the total amount i put in.....treat as insurance premium.