• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Quadruplets cost family more than $180k in hospital fees

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
The quadruplets born on July 19 are still in hospital, and their estimated hospital bill is around $180,000. Their grandparents are frustrated over the large sum, which is still increasing, as the babies have been warded for about 30 days and have not been discharged.

Madam Lily Lim, 52, told Shin Min Daily News that the babies were born premature and had to be warded in the neonatal intensive care unit, which costs $1,000 a day for each baby.

The current bill is around $135,000, as the babies have been warded for 28 days as of August 15. The eldest child Janessa Phua is 1.8kg, and Madam Lim says she is likely to be discharged next week.

However the other three - Joelle, Jovianne and Kingsley - might have to stay in hospital for a few more weeks. Madam Lim estimates the bill to hit $180,000 when her grandchildren are finally discharged.

She lamented that while the government encourages having more births, her family is unable to bear the high costs of having quadruplets.

Madam Lim said the family considered using the Child Development Account to pay the bills, but they found out that the money cannot be used for this hospital bill.

The paper understands that Madam Lim has filed applications with the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board and Ministry of Health to request to use both her husband's and her CPF accounts to help ease the financial burdens of her son and daughter-in-law.

Don't understand why this couple chose private hospital to deliver 4 babies at one time, yet can't afford to pay hospital fees:confused:

http://www.divaasia.com/media_photo/18010

As of yesterday, Madam Lim has not received a reply.

She says that with their combined CPF of about $90,000, they would be able to pay for half the fees.

A spokesman from the Ministry of Health told the paper that they have contacted Madam Lim and Gleneagles Hospital to enquire about the details to evaluate the case.

The family has paid her daughter-in-law's medical bill of over $40,000. Madam Lim said that they had appealed to the hospital and received a discount of $1,500.

Others have questioned the Phuas' decision in choosing a private hospital over a government one, as the latter would be a much cheaper option.

Madam Lim told Shin Min Daily News on Thursday that the family chose Gleneagles, because they felt that delivering quadruplets would be risky. Also, a Chinese practitioner recommended the hospital when her son and daughter-in-law were trying to conceive.

When the paper contacted National University Hospital and Singapore General Hospital, both spokespersons said the hospitals have adequate resources to manage multiple births.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blame on Madam Lim.
Doctor recommended Gleneagles of course have commission.
For 4 baby she should expected bill time 4.

jw5

Loyal
T
Madam Lim told Shin Min Daily News on Thursday that the family chose Gleneagles, because they felt that delivering quadruplets would be risky. Also, a Chinese practitioner recommended the hospital when her son and daughter-in-law were trying to conceive.

When the paper contacted National University Hospital and Singapore General Hospital, both spokespersons said the hospitals have adequate resources to manage multiple births.

Wasn't it reported that the family owns a thriving nanny and childcare business?
Perhaps now some reporter will organize a donation from sinkies.
These sinkies can then choose 2 food items instead of 3 food items for their economy rice for a year, so they can donate to the couple who decided to have their quadruplets at gleneagles. :rolleyes:

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have my sympathy, but they are stupid. It is well known fact that the incubators are expensive like hell in private hospitals. For quads, high chance born premature or underweight. And once you deliver in private, cannot downgrade to govt for subsidy. Either too naive or never do research.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They have my sympathy, but they are stupid. It is well known fact that the incubators are expensive like hell in private hospitals. For quads, high chance born premature or underweight. And once you deliver in private, cannot downgrade to govt for subsidy. Either too naive or never do research.

Why never consult the doctor/hosp for estimate bill b4 deliver baby?
I think hosp have provided then info estimate min $30k for less than a week to about $100k for 4 week.
Just that they ignore the information.
Hops always tell the estimate bill worry that they customer cannot afford to pay.
Also collect deposit.
This sinkie try to tell lie.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
...She lamented that while the government encourages having more births, her family is unable to bear the high costs of having quadruplets.

Her point is? Government should pay for her bills because Government encourages Singaporeans to give birth to more kids and she gave birth to 4?

First, she chose Genegales (which is super expensive) and then she KPKB about the bill? They only knew after giving birth that they would have 4 babies? They have no sense of Financial Planning?

Confirm this woman and her husband are Dr Chee Bye's doggies!!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sucker born everyday. expensive means good sinkies mentality. let them die in poverty. sin gov dun own them anything.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dont pity them, they deserved it. call me black heart but i dont see why taxpayers must foot the bill for their stupidity. not as if they dont know have 4 yet book the most expensive hospital available.

my wife and i didnt even book doctor, class C all the way. like the malays, just use the doctor on duty on that fateful day. total bill for both of them less than $1200, could be less if not last min son refuse to come out naturally so must open stomach to bring him out. despite didnt book a doc, many of the checkups was conducted by professors with interns at his side to gain experience. even those 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 injections i also never pay a cent as i let my son to be ginuea pig for a new medical injection program. Some my relatives call me cheapo but KNN, our mum time also never book doctors yet all of us grew up ok.

why ppl like to be robert head?:rolleyes:

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese practitional should foot the bill.

Since he Kay kiang recommended private hospital when they can't afford it.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
i dont pity them, they deserved it. call me black heart but i dont see why taxpayers must foot the bill for their stupidity. not as if they dont know have 4 yet book the most expensive hospital available.

it pains me that i agree with you. they made a choice, and they have to bear the consequences. we should all learn to be more careful with our choices.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

my wife and i didnt even book doctor, class C all the way. like the malays, just use the doctor on duty on that fateful day. total bill for both of them less than $1200, could be less if not last min son refuse to come out naturally so must open stomach to bring him out. despite didnt book a doc, many of the checkups was conducted by professors with interns at his side to gain experience. even those 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 injections i also never pay a cent as i let my son to be ginuea pig for a new medical injection program. Some my relatives call me cheapo but KNN, our mum time also never book doctors yet all of us grew up ok.

why ppl like to be robert head?:rolleyes:

How long ago was this? Today, the simplest of births in a class C will not be $1200. In this case, the quadruplets have all sorts of medical problems too.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is typical of Sinkies.. they want the status symbol of a private hospital but they don't want to pay.