• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pwee foundation, guess who's in there

PMPunk

Alfrescian
Loyal
New DPP chief founded the Pwee Foundation charity and serves as its chairman.

It's board includes former PAP MP Toh See Kiat and former PAP minister Seet Ai Mee.

This Pwee fella sure is suspecious.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
New DPP chief founded the Pwee Foundation charity and serves as its chairman.

It's board includes former PAP MP Toh See Kiat and former PAP minister Seet Ai Mee.

This Pwee fella sure is suspecious.

Benjamin Pwee is no longer with the SPP. SPP is now only Lina Chiam.

Let's not get too suspicious of former PAP people. They may have joined the party when it stood for something less fascist. If they want to defect to the opposition let them come in, we can't stop them.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Knowing how things work, TSK and SAM would have gotten clearance from PMO to proceed with their dealings with Pwee.

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knowing how things work, TSK and SAM would have gotten clearance from PMO to proceed with their dealings with Pwee.

I guess they are stepping up the effort to build up a slate of "credible" alternative candidates to contest future elections. The likes of Desmond Lim is not going to be effective in splitting the vote. It would have to be people like TJS, Ben Pwee, and more, to come in and muddy the situation. Besides credibility of the candidate, more effort is also put in to strengthen the ground work before hand such as the charitable work through this type of foundation. Its not everyday that you get $2m donated anonymously to start a foundation in someone else's name.

Whoever has the money will have the resources to find people to play all kinds of role. It's only a matter of price to buy someone.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its not everyday that you get $2m donated anonymously to start a foundation in someone else's name.

Whoever has the money will have the resources to find people to play all kinds of role. It's only a matter of price to buy someone.

Very true. MIW will engineer anything to stay in power. Funds used will be rationalised as 'national security' - the fear that foreigner powers will infiltrate our opposition parties. Only a moron will buy that. And we have 60% of voters in that category.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
542559_326465644137124_568928682_n.jpg

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
MANY aspects of Mr Benjamin Pwee's background mark him out as a PAP candidate. But it looks likely that the 43-year-old will instead contest as opposition veteran Chiam See Tong's teammate in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

He is a former chairman of the People's Action Party (PAP) youth wing in the Thomson area, one year ahead of PAP candidate Major-General (NS) Chan Chun Sing in Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College, a former officer in the elite Administrative Service and the son of long-time PAP grassroots leader Robert Pwee.

To top it off, Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng was the guest of honour at his wedding.

But Mr Pwee, who runs his own business strategy consulting firm I-deo Asia, has been in talks with Mr Chiam's Singapore People's Party (SPP) since last week to contest with the Potong Pasir MP in the five-member Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC at the coming polls.

In an exclusive interview with The Straits Times on Thursday night, he gave his reason for doing so.

'My basic motivation is to create a credible alternative team and alternative voice outside of the current ruling party, and to demonstrate that there is an A-team out there that can step forward,' he said.

His second reason is to provide a choice to voters of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, where he grew up. 'I am a Bishan boy,' he proclaimed a few times during the 90-minute interview, and spoke fondly of his childhood there in the 1970s and 80s, when there was still a cemetery in the area.

At the same time, he did 'not believe in coming out as an opposition (candidate) to topple or overthrow or threaten or discredit the PAP'.

He believes the opposition's role is to check and balance the PAP government. 'A second or third party needs to be in a strong, trusting, strategic partnership with a majority party, to work together hand in hand for the sake of the nation,' he said.

Mr Pwee attended Cambridge University on a government Overseas Merit Scholarship and studied music and literature. Upon his return, he spent eight years in the elite Administrative Service and held various posts in the Ministries of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and Home Affairs (MHA).

He was first secretary for political and economic affairs at the Singapore Embassy in Beijing from 1995 to 1998, where he acted as interpreter and note-taker during then Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew's visits to China.

In both ministries, Mr Pwee served under DPM Wong, who helmed MFA from 1988 to 1994 and MHA from 1994 to last September.

Mr Pwee left to become executive director of Medical Services International, a regional non-governmental organisation doing social welfare work in China. After five years, he left to start his own consulting firm headquartered in Hong Kong.

He returned home five years ago, and his family of five live in an HDB flat in the Commonwealth area.

He is married to a Nanyang Primary School teacher, and they have three children aged eight to 16.

He was approached to join politics by Mr Wilfred Leung, 35, a member of the SPP's central executive committee and an aide to Mr Chiam. He turned him down in 2006, but sat down for lunch this time round with Mr and Mrs Chiam.

Mr Pwee and Mr Leung have been friends for more than 20 years. They met at the St James Chinese Congregation Church in the Holland Road area.

Mr Pwee said he had also considered joining the PAP, but if the party had invited him to tea, he would probably have turned it down.

He said: 'I would most likely struggle hard with that decision... but where I am at now, I would think my answer to them would probably be 'no'.'

Still, he said, the decision he was mulling over now was also a tough one, and complicated by the fact that he holds DPM Wong in high regard.

Mr Wong helms the PAP team in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.

Mr Pwee said: 'I have many issues to think through, like what is our campaign platform, do I still know the heartbeat of Bishan-Toa Payoh, where I grew up...

'I need to think through what it means that if I did stand there, it would be minister Wong Kan Seng on the other side, and I am thinking very seriously, very respectfully about that.'

Mr Chiam intends to hold a press conference tomorrow. Mr Pwee said his decision would be known then.

Last edited: