• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Putin Artic route taking more of PSA port business, LHL run road 2018

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Global Warming is killing Singapore PSA port. Putin Huat! SG53 mati!

https://www.rt.com/business/413396-northern-sea-route-cargo/

Russian Arctic route shipping to increase to over 100mn tons
Published time: 16 Dec, 2017 09:15
Get short URL
5a33dc3bfc7e930c7f8b4567.jpg

© Vadim Zhernov / Sputnik
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook16Share to TwitterShare to RedditShare to StumbleUponShare to Google+Share to Tumblr
Cargo on Russia's Northern Sea Route will grow in the coming decades, and the freight hauled will soon match the capacity of the country’s northern ports, according to the United Shipbuilding Corporation.
Read more
Putin wants to keep foreign shipping out of Russia's Northern Sea Route
“The base scenario says that by 2030 the cargo, served by the Northern Sea Route, would be up to 70 million tons, and later on it may grow to 104-105 million tons," said the corporation’s Vice President Evgeny Zagorodniy. “The sea terminals’ total annual capacity of Sabetta, Chaika and other seaports will be over 117 million tons by 2028.”

Last year the 7.5 million tons of cargo transported via the Northern Sea Route exceeded the Soviet record. According to Federal Agency for Maritime and River Transport estimates it could grow sixfold in the next three years.

Zagorodniy said the route’s smooth work requires additional icebreakers.

The lack of icebreakers has become an acute problem, according to Konstantin Antsiferov from the Russian Ministry of Industry and Trade. He said Russia will build the 22220 series of icebreakers by 2035.

“The series’ first icebreaker - The Arctic - will join the fleet in 2019, the next one - The Siberia - in 2020, and The Ural - in 2021,” said Antsiferov, who is Deputy Head of the Department for Shipbuilding and Marine Equipment.

"They (icebreakers) will solve the problem of year-round navigation in the Arctic’s western part,” he explained.

5a33dc95fc7e93087f8b456b.jpg

Russian polar explorers work to set up a new drifting station SP-40 in the Arctic © Anna Yudina / Sputnik
The official also said Russia should get rid of its dependence on foreign equipment, particularly ships to transport liquefied natural gas (LNG).

The Northern Sea Route is expected to become a major trade route for goods shipped between Europe and Asia. It stretches the entire length of Russia's Arctic and the Far East regions.

5a33dcabfc7e93797f8b4567.jpg

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"They (icebreakers) will solve the problem of year-round navigation in the Arctic’s western part,” he explained.

Let's be realistic. If you need icebreakers, the NSR is just not feasible. And the ice will rebound back around 2030.

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's be realistic. If you need icebreakers, the NSR is just not feasible. And the ice will rebound back around 2030.

It is already melted in most parts of the year. Winter only so thin ice as you see, all non-ice breaker are sailing through. The more busy the shipping route the further all ice got broken by many ships before you. Who needs ice breaker? Save fuel save time. The fact is the owners of goods WILL ALWAYS CHOSE the shipping companies with the shortest lead time and LEAST shipping cost. So to be competitive and staying in the business, shipping firm need to take whatever short cut. Even if winter got very harsh, they will charter ice breakers to open route before their fleet. Expenses will be worthwhile. As a customer shipping goods, I don't mind to pay slightly higher fee for winter when my goods reach destination faster, especially when that means my customer stop chasing me and be happier with me, and pay me sooner when goods arrived in their warehouse. I HUAT AH!

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is already melted in most parts of the year. Winter only so thin ice as you see, all non-ice breaker are sailing through.

Don't pin your hopes too high! The ice will rebound back with a vengeance around 2030. It always gets warmer before it gets colder during the water cycle.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can our keppel or sembcorp churn out icebreaker ships? That could create a lot of new jobs for sinkies.