• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
You missed the key words "premium residential properties in Iskandar". Of coz la, if i were the developer, i will build and build the premium during the bull run, jin ho tan..:o

Opss..did you guys grab the bull horns or tail?:p

I picked up the big bull penis..:p

I guess it is so long that it is ahead of the horns

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Western zones of Iskandar Malaysia to see price surge in next 10 years

By Property Report on May 10, 2016

Go west, per insiders

PropertyGuru.com.my reports that Iskandar Malaysia is expected to become the newest investment haven in the country, especially its real estate sector, according to many experts featured on New Straits Times.

Iskandar is predicted to join the ranks of the world’s most prosperous regions in the next 10 years after it was left behind by property booms in Penang, Kuala Lumpur Hong Kong and China in recent years.

Ishmael Ho, chief executive of Ho Chin Soon Research, said investors who skipped this area might regret their decision in the next decade because prices of residential and commercial properties in Iskandar’s Flagship A and B zones – situated on the west side of the region, along with the C zone – are expected to rise significantly over the said period.

Moreover, property prices could surpass those in Greater Kuala Lumpur by two-fold during the second half of Iskandar’s 20-year master plan, shared Ahyat Ishak, author of the book ‘The Strategic Property Investor’. Ishak attributed this potentially significant price hike to the upcoming Kuala Lumpur-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) and Johor Baru-Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS).

More: Iskandar’s multi-billion eco-city is pretty ambitious

He added that new property hotspots in Iskandar could also emerge. “We believe the next growth area is Pasir Gudang, which used to be the eastern-most fringed.”

According to Eco World Development’s CEO and president Chang Khim Wah, Iskandar’s eastern side is strategically located near several ports like Johor Port in Pasir Gudang and Port of Tanjung Pelepas.

“With continuous enhancements on connectivity and accessibility like the completion of the Eastern Coastal Highway, Senai Desaru Expressway and the ongoing upgrading works on the Pasir Gudang Highway, the east side remains appealing to many businesses,” he added.

Meanwhile, Iskandar Regional Development Authority’s (IRDA) CEO Ismail Ibrahim revealed that Iskandar has received MYR202.45 billion (USD49.8 billion) in total investments from 2006 to March 2016. Of this, 51 percent or MYR103.5 billion (USD25.48 billion) has been utilised.

Local investors accounted for 60 percent or MYR121.44 billion (USD25.21 billion) while overseas investors contributed MYR81.01 billion (USD19.94 billion) or 40 percent of the overall figure.

This article was originally published on PropertyGuru.com.my on 9 May 2016.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow... Based on the news, it's time for buyers to start scooping up a few more residential properties in Iskandar!

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Western zones of Iskandar Malaysia to see price surge in next 10 years

By Property Report on May 10, 2016

Go west, per insiders

PropertyGuru.com.my reports that Iskandar Malaysia is expected to become the newest investment haven in the country, especially its real estate sector, according to many experts featured on New Straits Times.

Iskandar is predicted to join the ranks of the world’s most prosperous regions in the next 10 years after it was left behind by property booms in Penang, Kuala Lumpur Hong Kong and China in recent years.

Ishmael Ho, chief executive of Ho Chin Soon Research, said investors who skipped this area might regret their decision in the next decade because prices of residential and commercial properties in Iskandar’s Flagship A and B zones – situated on the west side of the region, along with the C zone – are expected to rise significantly over the said period.

Moreover, property prices could surpass those in Greater Kuala Lumpur by two-fold during the second half of Iskandar’s 20-year master plan, shared Ahyat Ishak, author of the book ‘The Strategic Property Investor’. Ishak attributed this potentially significant price hike to the upcoming Kuala Lumpur-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) and Johor Baru-Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS).

More: Iskandar’s multi-billion eco-city is pretty ambitious

He added that new property hotspots in Iskandar could also emerge. “We believe the next growth area is Pasir Gudang, which used to be the eastern-most fringed.”

According to Eco World Development’s CEO and president Chang Khim Wah, Iskandar’s eastern side is strategically located near several ports like Johor Port in Pasir Gudang and Port of Tanjung Pelepas.

“With continuous enhancements on connectivity and accessibility like the completion of the Eastern Coastal Highway, Senai Desaru Expressway and the ongoing upgrading works on the Pasir Gudang Highway, the east side remains appealing to many businesses,” he added.

Meanwhile, Iskandar Regional Development Authority’s (IRDA) CEO Ismail Ibrahim revealed that Iskandar has received MYR202.45 billion (USD49.8 billion) in total investments from 2006 to March 2016. Of this, 51 percent or MYR103.5 billion (USD25.48 billion) has been utilised.

Local investors accounted for 60 percent or MYR121.44 billion (USD25.21 billion) while overseas investors contributed MYR81.01 billion (USD19.94 billion) or 40 percent of the overall figure.

This article was originally published on PropertyGuru.com.my on 9 May 2016.

I'm vested in JB town but don't believe everything these people say. They always make it sound as if they playing Sim City. Just buy whatever you like within your means, unless you got some insider info.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm vested in JB town but don't believe everything these people say. They always make it sound as if they playing Sim City. Just buy whatever you like within your means, unless you got some insider info.

Haha... You're the smart one.

It's so damn clear these jokers are trying to stir up the ailing Iskandar market.

No sane writer or analyst will boldly exclaim "property prices will surge" in the next 10 years. That means what? Everyone should rush in again like in 2013? They've never learned their lesson?

With oversupply, lots of undeveloped land, already overpriced condos, HSR uncertain, poor planning and ghost towns in some parts of Iskandar (eg Medini), no strong commercial/industrial business players, lack of skilled workers, flip flop policies of the Johor government, how to surge in prices? It could be the other way around instead -- drop in prices.

If one trusts the so-called "experts" in the article, then maybe can go and buy to invest.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... You're the smart one.

It's so damn clear these jokers are trying to stir up the ailing Iskandar market.

No sane writer or analyst will boldly exclaim "property prices will surge" in the next 10 years. That means what? Everyone should rush in again like in 2013? They've never learned their lesson?

With oversupply, lots of undeveloped land, already overpriced condos, HSR uncertain, poor planning and ghost towns in some parts of Iskandar (eg Medini), no strong commercial/industrial business players, lack of skilled workers, flip flop policies of the Johor government, how to surge in prices? It could be the other way around instead -- drop in prices.

If one trusts the so-called "experts" in the article, then maybe can go and buy to invest.

Now, now which property sector? We must be clear on what sector we are talking about, later will have some experts here say it is true, just that "not referring to residential property", win liao!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huat Ah!!!!

Johor's EduCity drawing Singaporean students

For decades, scores of Malaysian children have been boarding crowded buses daily at unearthly hours to come to Singapore to attend schools here.

In recent years, however, hundreds of Singaporeans, armed with their red passports, have been heading north to schools in Malaysia's new education hub in Iskandar, Johor.

The Singaporeans are, to some extent, pursuing an overseas education at EduCity, about half an hour from Singapore via the Second Link.

These cross-border students cite lower fees - as much as 60 per cent lower for some programmes - due to the weaker Malaysian ringgit. Then, there are also a number of brand-name foreign institutions to choose from in EduCity.

According to EduCity managing director Joanne Oei, there has been a "steady increase" in the number of Singaporean students there. "With the strong Singapore dollar, quality international education becomes more affordable and accessible," she said.

As of yesterday, the currency exchange rate between Singapore and its neighbour was $1 to RM2.96.

Ms Oei declined to reveal the number of Singaporeans in EduCity, but said they comprised less than 10 per cent of the student population there.

Over the past five years, the education enclave, with a collection of institutions from pre-schools to universities, has seen a jump in the total number of students, from 530 in 2012 to more than 4,000.

Malaysians make up the majority of students at EduCity, Ms Oei said. There are also students from countries such as Austria, France and India.

The increase can be attributed to the opening of new education institutions at EduCity, she added. "We are looking at growing the population to 16,000 by 2025."

EduCity has become a popular destination for foreign institutions looking to gain a foothold in Asia.

In the past few years, a cluster of education providers has set up shop at the 123ha education hub. These include the branch campuses of institutions such as the University of Southampton, noted for its engineering courses, and Newcastle University's medical school, one of the top British medical schools.

Singaporean Chandralekha, 21, a first-year biomedical science student at Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia, pays 45 per cent of the $33,600 in yearly tuition fees that she would have been charged at the university's British campus.

Ms Chandralekha, who goes by one name, said the attractive exchange rate has helped her to save a small fortune. She stays in an apartment near her university on weekdays, and returns to her Choa Chu Kang home in Singapore on weekends.

She said: "The fees are more affordable, and it is closer to home compared to other overseas universities. It's also a prestigious degree."

Two international schools, Marlborough College Malaysia and Raffles American School, are situated outside of the main EduCity area to accommodate their full facilities.

Singaporean Natanya Tan, 11, is one of about 100 Marlborough pupils who commute daily from various parts of Singapore via a fleet of nine buses. The journey takes about 50 minutes on a good day, and over an hour if there is heavy traffic.

Natanya, whose family lives in the western part of Singapore, wakes up at 6.20am to make the daily pick-up timing at 7.15am. Her school day begins at 8.30am and ends at 4.30pm.

The long commutes do not bother these students, it seems.

Natanya said: "I don't find it too much of an inconvenience. Sometimes it can be fun even if we are stuck in a jam. I can spend time with my friends, or I can sleep on the bus or listen to music."

Many have opted to stay in boarding facilities to save travelling time. Some schools have built their own accommodation facilities, while EduCity has a hostel known as the Student Village.

Singaporean Sean Koh, 18, is in his foundation year at the University of Southampton Malaysia Campus. He is staying at the Student Village, a five-minute walk from his school.

"Getting there is not a problem as I can wake up half an hour before classes, freshen up and reach there before they start," he said.

EduCity will be adding more accommodation facilities to cater to the growing student community.

Ms Oei said EduCity is taking "very calculated steps" in its expansion plans. "We may look at early childhood development centres and certain vocational schools to complement the current ecosystem."

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/johors-educity-drawing-singaporean-students

Now, who says that the Singapore medias have nothing good about Johor?

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huat Ah!!!!

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/johors-educity-drawing-singaporean-students

All this shows is the failure of the Singapore education system, now parents also smart and take short cut, less stressful route as they can see all foreigners also less stress and many get better and higher paid jobs than Singaporeans in Singapore. For the more well heeled, this has been happening all the while but mainly to 1st world countries, I for one, already sent my daughter off at 16, she is enjoying a much fuller and better life in OZ and may return someday ready to take away a job from a over stressed, burnt out Singaporean young person.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this shows is the failure of the Singapore education system, now parents also smart and take short cut, less stressful route as they can see all foreigners also less stress and many get better and higher paid jobs than Singaporeans in Singapore. For the more well heeled, this has been happening all the while but mainly to 1st world countries, I for one, already sent my daughter off at 16, she is enjoying a much fuller and better life in OZ and may return someday ready to take away a job from a over stressed, burnt out Singaporean young person.

lol, I also believe in a holistic education system not just based on academics alone. Your daughter will prob remain in Oz like most of my family members who studied there and stayed.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, now which property sector? We must be clear on what sector we are talking about, later will have some experts here say it is true, just that "not referring to residential property", win liao!

Residential properties in Iskandar. :smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

I've always found the SG education system a big irony. People all praise it like it's one of the best. But look at all our poor kids? A lot wearing specs and have hardly any life. At school doing quite well still not good enough. Parents will send them for more tuition classes, etc.

Those that don't do so well or can't get into the course of study they want still go overseas. In the end, they come back with degrees as good as, or seen to be even better than those from our local universities! Makes you wonder all those money, worries, and years your kids spend on education... is it worth it?

Anyway, I don't trust those UK universities in Iskandar. They are just there to make money. Nothing beats the real ones in the actual countries of origin. Unless my kids really average or below average grades, or I don't have money to send them overseas to study, then maybe can consider the Iskandar one as a last resort. Just to get that bloody cert. But I don't think got much standard.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huat Ah!!!!

But no huat for those with properties there. The students got hostels. They are unlikely to rent the condos there.

Don't think got many Singaporeans studying there. They don't even want to reveal the figures. As reported, less than 10%. Not many.

Serious Singaporean parents won't send their kids to that kind of universities in Johor. Got money rather send to countries like Australia, UK, US, etc.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've always found the SG education system a big irony. People all praise it like it's one of the best. But look at all our poor kids? A lot wearing specs and have hardly any life. At school doing quite well still not good enough. Parents will send them for more tuition classes, etc.

Those that don't do so well or can't get into the course of study they want still go overseas. In the end, they come back with degrees as good as, or seen to be even better than those from our local universities! Makes you wonder all those money, worries, and years your kids spend on education... is it worth it?

Anyway, I don't trust those UK universities in Iskandar. They are just there to make money. Nothing beats the real ones in the actual countries of origin. Unless my kids really average or below average grades, or I don't have money to send them overseas to study, then maybe can consider the Iskandar one as a last resort. Just to get that bloody cert. But I don't think got much standard.

I wonder if there is a Stockholm Syndrome here, where Singaporeans love to be enslaved to the Singapore Education System that is robbing away the childhood of many kids. Nowadays maybe almost every Singaporean kid become spekkie (wear glasses) by the time they left Kindergarten! LOL! For me, my family ejected ourselves from the MOE rat race. It’s an academic hot house here…education factory churning out rote learning kids and those that can spot questions to game the system.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
But look at all our poor kids? A lot wearing specs and have hardly any life. At school doing quite well still not good enough. Parents will send them for more tuition classes, etc.
Bad eyesight may be hereditary. More tuition classes are the additional pressures from their "Kiasu" parents, who will always want to "Keep Up With The Joneses" and to be better than their peers in schools.

The Western culture is not like that. So, eventually, most of the blame will be squarely on the local society and their parents' attitudes. It's the same for the other Oriental cultures, eg: China, Japanese and Korean.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if there is a Stockholm Syndrome here, where Singaporeans love to be enslaved to the Singapore Education System that is robbing away the childhood of many kids. Nowadays maybe almost every Singaporean kid become spekkie (wear glasses) by the time they left Kindergarten! LOL! For me, my family ejected ourselves from the MOE rat race. It’s an academic hot house here…education factory churning out rote learning kids and those that can spot questions to game the system.

Ya... good choice.

I think it's because people blindly follow the system, or think they have little choice.

(Actually, I've always thought many Singaporeans are already under the Stockholm Syndrome voting for the PAP government every time!)

From my observation, by time a young graduate starts working, it matters little whether he or she comes from a top school in SG or got average grades previously and had to go overseas to get a degree. The salaries of both groups of graduates are the same! Ironically, the overseas grads sometimes appeal to the employer even more!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
But no huat for those with properties there. The students got hostels. They are unlikely to rent the condos there.
But their expatriate lecturers will. I believe they will prefer their own living quarters rather than the hostels, even if the universities do rent to them. Unfortunately, the number of these expatriate lecturers are not in abundance.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bad eyesight may be hereditary. More tuition classes are the additional pressures from their "Kiasu" parents, who will always want to "Keep Up With The Joneses" and to be better than their peers in schools.

The Western culture is not like that. So, eventually, most of the blame will be squarely on the local society and their parents' attitudes. It's the same for the other Oriental cultures, eg: China, Japanese and Korean.

Yes, hereditary has a role to play. But not just that now. I see more and more Singapore kids with glasses even before primary 1. It could be lifestyle. When I go to eat, be it at foodcourts or restaurants, I so often see kids busy with iPads or their phones in their own worlds. It's crazy. At that age??! If you go overseas, you tend to notice the kids run around more and communicate more with their parents.

If I am surrounded by 9 parents who tell me their kids already are 5 chapters ahead in class because of the extra lessons their kids have gone to, honestly, I find it hard to be the 10th parent to coolly say, I don't care. I will let my kid follow the school teacher and be slower. If I have the money, I will also try to ensure my kid goes beyond the normal pace. It's the environment that naturally makes it so. The only way is to uproot and leave for somewhere more relaxed.

Like I said, once the kid starts work next time, everything becomes more leveled up.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
But their expatriate lecturers will. I believe they will prefer their own living quarters rather than the hostels, even if the universities do rent to them. Unfortunately, the number of these expatriate lecturers are not in abundance.

Yes, far from that. No way the number of lecturers can match the thousands of condo units coming up in Iskandar. From what I heard, some staff also prefer landed properties, which they have many to choose from anyway in Johor.

Perfectly explains the ghost town feeling I got when I was in Medini recently. There's just too much land and oversupply of condos.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol, I also believe in a holistic education system not just based on academics alone. Your daughter will prob remain in Oz like most of my family members who studied there and stayed.

She is Oz citizen and at this stage does not want to come back but I would encourage her to, as there are better jobs and higher pay here as an FT, at least she has a choice.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totally agree, they are nothing more than play school standard in Iskandar but many can't afford (I seem to see this term a lot in JB forums) to send to 1st world countries would consider them as spring board or alternative to SG education system.