• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last I checked, Newcastle medical degree is not recognised in Sg if from Iskandar but International Medical University in KL graduates can work in Sg..

Housemanship. You need to work for 2 years in a Government Hospital b4 you get your degree recognised. No use you study, graduate and got your degree without any practical experience. You need to to be accepted into the Medical Association first.

Anyway the debate here is about the number of universities here and the student population that affects the property demands. We are not here to talk about quality of their degrees. This is a property forum.

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are quite right on this. The feeling I had in PH slipping leisurely into my Starbucks is so different from my dinners at One 15 in Sentosa Cove. The latter is simply overpriced because poor chaps like me will never comprehend what makes Sentosa Cock houses so overly over-priced except that my learned Pastor Kong Hee and his beau the ever sexy and pretty and young Ho Yell Sun stay there. Anyway, I cant afford a S$5 million ( RM 15 million leasehold condo ) as my budget is low.

Just buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. No use comparing.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just buy what you can afford and are comfortable with. No use comparing.

Absolutely. What for force yourself to buy just because someone else said it is better elsewhere? You are the one who is crying, paying and carrying the baby. Everyone else at most is just a good listener. They can talk and say all sorts armchair advice cos it is free. They do not have any responsibilities.

You must enjoy your investments, otherwise it is not fun anymore. Listen to yourself, not others.

Last edited:

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Housemanship. You need to work for 2 years in a Government Hospital b4 you get your degree recognised. No use you study, graduate and got your degree without any practical experience. You need to to be accepted into the Medical Association first.

Anyway the debate here is about the number of universities here and the student population that affects the property demands. We are not here to talk about quality of their degrees. This is a property forum.

The quality of degree matters as it will attract more demand for the properties there..

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if you guys know this, many universities these days are more and more profit-oriented than ever before. It's sad. Even some faculties in NUS and NTU aren't as fantastic as the public thinks. We have young graduates who joined us and we find their standards are not as solid as those who graduated more than a decade ago.

They have been increasing places in our local universities. A degree today doesn't mean much. 30 years ago, if you don't do so well in your A levels, you're pretty much screwed unless your parents are rich enough to send you overseas to study. Today, you can flunk your O or A levels. It's no big deal. There are so many private institutions to choose from. One can get straight D's or almost F's. You got money, they somehow have a place for you to get at least a basic degree.

So why am I saying all these? All those so-called "well-known" universities mentioned previously in Iskandar... they too are no different. They want to make money by locating in this region. I don't care how great the university's name may sound traditionally, but I can tell you if I am an employer, I will not be impressed by someone who graduated from say Reading University located in Iskandar. It's just not the same impression.

Even quite well-known universities are now offering online degree courses! They claim everything in the syllabus is the same. So it seems a student is getting the same "quality" education as those who study on campus. Sorry, but I don't buy this bullshit. Really prestigious universities won't do this kind of money-making education business. That's why you are likely not to find the very best unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard or MIT in this situation.

And I don't understand why some are always comparing Sentosa Cove to Puteri Harbour. They are apples and oranges. It's like comparing a Porsche to Subaru WRX. Both may have the same top speed and acceleration. But a Porsche is class, prestige, high-end brand. You also can't compare Bonia handbags with LV/Gucci. Both brands may be made of very good leather but the latter smell of a posh/luxurious lifestyle.

Sentosa Cove is located in a 1st world country with excellent security, education system, advanced healthcare, amenities, strong economy, attractive business hub. How can you say it's ridiculous to pay so much for Sentosa Cove while Puteri Harbour costs only a fraction of it? That's not a fair comparison. Can your kid travel to our prestigious Raffles Institution or Girls School easily if she lives in Puteri Harbour? No way. Is there a subway conveniently located around Puteri Harbour to take you to places? Nope. Not any time soon. Not in this decade perhaps. In Singapore, you can move around easily and quickly by our excellent transport system.

You can't ask a Forbes Who's Who richest to drive a Lexus and buy a Puteri Harbour penthouse because it's cheaper than a Ferrari or a Sentosa Cove house. If you think that way, you just aren't rich enough! :smile:

For me the most significant reason to move to JB was because of the lower cost of living, a point raised by Ryan Khoo's article. And that's also because I am simply not rich enough to afford a bigger HDB. Maybe the "best" things in life can be found in Singapore (something for debate LOL!) but for me, being able to enjoy the good things in JB is good enough for me. Most important is cheap and good. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are planning to buy into iskandar for own stay and retirement, too much good news is not good news. Look at the pricing of forest city, it is starting at RM1400 psf !! Maybe the 3000+ viewers from china in the next few months will not buy their story. :p

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me the most significant reason to move to JB was because of the lower cost of living, a point raised by Ryan Khoo's article. And that's also because I am simply not rich enough to afford a bigger HDB. Maybe the "best" things in life can be found in Singapore (something for debate LOL!) but for me, being able to enjoy the good things in JB is good enough for me. Most important is cheap and good. :biggrin:

Yes... too bad. I'm sure you can afford a bigger HDB flat but you decide to splurge the money instead on a much bigger home across the causeway.

Very soon, Singapore will be too expensive a place for commoners. They can still afford it, but have to accept much smaller sized homes and be chained to long term debts.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are planning to buy into iskandar for own stay and retirement, too much good news is not good news. Look at the pricing of forest city, it is starting at RM1400 psf !! Maybe the 3000+ viewers from china in the next few months will not buy their story. :p

Iskandar sounds to me like a good place for money laundering. China developers buy land, price the units high, and then bring their own China people and other foreigners to buy them. I think we will see some ghost areas soon. :smile:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iskandar sounds to me like a good place for money laundering. China developers buy land, price the units high, and then bring their own China people and other foreigners to buy them. I think we will see some ghost areas soon. :smile:

What for have to wait for years before you see the money being laundered? Lucky you get back your money, unlucky all money go down the drain.
Go for Marina Sands and Resorts World. Instant wash. Instant cash. That's what we call money laundering.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
What for have to wait for years before you see the money being laundered? Lucky you get back your money, unlucky all money go down the drain.
Go for Marina Sands and Resorts World. Instant wash. Instant cash. That's what we call money laundering.

Very logical answer :smile: commonsense not common anymore.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ha.. not sure about that. In gambling, when the money's gone, it's gone. If there are no buyers for Iskandar properties in future, at least the physical unit is still there.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who ask you to gamble? You change and put in yr pocket for 2 hrs. Go play the 10 cents slot machine Later go and change it back, best is to ask them to bank in for you to get the records.
Put money, take money. That is laundering. But to buy property to launder, not wise.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who ask you to gamble? You change and put in yr pocket for 2 hrs. Go play the 10 cents slot machine Later go and change it back, best is to ask them to bank in for you to get the records.
Put money, take money. That is laundering. But to buy property to launder, not wise.

I don't know about that. Maybe some do it. But I do hear people buying properties to launder money. Especially the China Chinese. They could be doing it in Iskandar also. Wise or not wise, it's up to the individual to do what they want with their money.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know about that. Maybe some do it. But I do hear people buying properties to launder money. Especially the China Chinese. They could be doing it in Iskandar also. Wise or not wise, it's up to the individual to do what they want with their money.

I do know Chinese, Russians, Middle Eastern buy UK and Australian properties in 8 digit figures. They buy and keep those properties. They do not sell them. It is kinda protecting their wealth. However, nowadays banks regulate money transfer and they do not condone transfers if the source of income could not be verified.