Prof jiang right again wrt Indonesia.
Indonesia signed letter but made no commitment to US on airspace access, defence minister says
By Reuters
May 19, 202612:20 PM GMT+8Updated 6 hours ago
Indonesian Defense Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin delivers remarks at the Pentagon, in Washington, D.C., U.S., April 13, 2026. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein
Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab
JAKARTA, May 19 (Reuters) - Indonesia's defence minister said on Tuesday that he had signed a letter of intent last month with U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on granting U.S. military aircraft access to Indonesian airspace, but said no commitment was made.
The letter of intent signed in Washington mentioned respecting each country's territorial integrity, the need for a mechanism if Indonesia agreed to airspace access, and respect for local laws, Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin told a parliamentary hearing.
The Reuters Iran Briefing newsletter keeps you informed with the latest developments and analysis of the Iran war. Sign up
here.
"We made not a single commitment with the U.S. on airspace. We uphold the constitution and our national interests," Sjafrie said.
The issue of overflight access created
controversy in Indonesia last month. The foreign ministry warned the defence ministry that the proposal to give the U.S. military 'blanket' permission to fly over Indonesian territory could risk entangling Jakarta in potential South China Sea conflicts, Reuters
reported.