• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Presidential election poll 2: who do you think the voters will vote for?

Presidential election poll 2: who do you think the voters will vote for?

• Tharman Shanmugaratnam

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Ng Kok Song

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Tan Kin Lian

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ng Kok relieved to qualify to run for presidency, emphasises independence from political party​

Lee Li Ying
Correspondent

August 18, 2023

SINGAPORE - A great sense of relief washed over Ng Kok Song, 75, when he heard the news that he had qualified as a candidate for the upcoming presidential election.
“My immediate reaction was relief, because there was some uncertainty... I can now move on to the next stage of my journey to serve the people of Singapore as their president,” said Mr Ng.
He was speaking to The Straits Times at media house Zyrup Media, after he had finished recording a podcast.
Mr Ng said that his fiancee Sybil Lau, 45, had informed him of the email from the Elections Department Singapore after it landed this morning.
The former chief investment officer at GIC had applied for eligibility under the public sector deliberative track.
The six-member Presidential Elections Committee was satisfied that he has the experience and ability comparable with someone who had served for three or more years as the chief executive of a Fifth Schedule entity.
Fifth Schedule entities comprise key statutory boards and government companies.

The committee added that it was satisfied that Mr Ng has the experience and ability to effectively carry out the functions and duties of the office of president.
He is among three individuals - along with former Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam and former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian - who received the certificate of eligibility on Friday.
In the next two weeks in the run-up to polling day on September 1, Mr Ng wants to make himself even more known to the people of Singapore.

“I started with a disadvantage, so I had to make up by going on more walkabouts. (I will) go to the wet markets, go to the hawker centers, maybe shopping malls, so that the people of Singapore get to know me, and hopefully to see me in person. That is my foremost priority,” said Mr Ng.
Responding to Mr Tan Kin Lian’s remarks that he is the only independent candidate, and that Mr Tharman and Mr Ng are from the establishment, Mr Ng said that there is a difference between being from the establishment and political party affiliation.
“I have never belonged to any political party, and therefore I am independent of any political party. Mr Tan Kin Lian was a member of the People’s Action Party,” said Mr Ng.
Mr Ng also added that it doesn’t matter what percentage of votes he’ll garner, as long as he wins the election.
Mr Tan had said in a walkabout in Kovan on Friday that he is hoping to garner 1.5 million votes. More than 2.7 million are eligible to vote in the upcoming presidential election.
The only presidential hopeful who had publicly made known their run for the office, and did not qualify, is entrepreneur George Goh, 63.
Mr Ng said that he felt sorry for Mr Goh because he was very brave to come forward.
“One of the reasons why I came forward to stand for the presidency, was that he might not qualify. And if he didn’t qualify, that was before Mr Tan Kin Lian came forward, there would have been no election. It would have been another walkover,” he said.
“So I really commend Mr Goh for his courage, his bravery, in coming forward... He was maximising the chances of there being an election.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘I cannot accept the decision’: George Goh calls PEC’s decision ‘not fair’​

Natasha Ann Zachariah and Judith Tan

August 18, 2023

SINGAPORE - Businessman George Goh said on Friday that he cannot accept the decision by the Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) not to grant him a certificate of eligibility, thereby ending his run for the presidency.
The PEC had rejected his argument that his experience running five companies that met the shareholders’ equity and profitability criteria was equivalent to that of a CEO running a single company, he said.
This was a “very narrow interpretation of the requirements without explaining the rationale behind its decision” and has deprived Singaporeans of a wider choice to select the next president, he added in a statement.
At a press conference at his Holland Road house on Friday afternoon, the mood among his family and campaign team was sombre.
Asked if the PEC had provided any specific reason as to why he was not eligible, Mr Goh would only say that the PEC did its own review.
“I cannot accept the decision given by them. I personally think it’s not a fair decision,” he said.
Mr Goh said he had been fairly confident he would make the cut, because he had assembled a broad team of experts to assess his eligibility. They included a former Attorney-General, a constitutional law professor, a former judge and a senior counsel, among others.

“This group of people are the top, top people in Singapore. Are you saying they’re all wrong?” he asked. “Cannot be, they’re all from the system.”
Asked whether he would consolidate his companies together or build a $500 million company in order to qualify for future elections, Mr Goh reiterated that he already met the shareholder equity criteria for private sector candidates.
“It’s not ‘tomorrow I have to try and work harder’ - it’s already there,” he said. “If I continue what I’m doing now as an independent candidate, (it’s) whether the system allows me to go in or not. We should ask this question.”

He added: “I have $507 million (in shareholder equity), I don’t know what they want. We should ask them.”
Mr Goh, was also asked whether he would now reveal the names of the five companies he submitted to the PEC, but declined to do so. He had declined to name them on Aug 4, when he held a press conference after submitting his application for a certificate of eligibility.
“We do have shareholders, so I also don’t want, because I stand for the election, then the few thousand shareholders suffer,” he said.
On whether he would now stand behind one of the remaining three candidates, Mr Goh said it is difficult for him to say as he did not know them well.

Responding to presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian’s remark that he was the only remaining independent candidate left in the race, Mr Goh reiterated that he was the sole independent candidate without any past ties to a political party or the Government.
“You must prove yourself, that you’re really independent,” he said. “If you’re not independent and you say you are independent, it’s very sad.”
He added: “Because I’m so truly independent, you know what the result (is) - they know if I go into (the) Istana, I will work for (the people and) look at (things) differently.” At his home, Mr Goh showed the campaign collaterals he had already prepared, which included t-shirts, badges, flags, a container full of tissue packets, and some 1.4 million mailers.
He declined to say how much he had spent on them, but said he would sell the items and donate the proceeds to charity.
Quoting his campaign slogan, Mr Goh said August 18 was supposed to be a day of change, but had turned out to be a very sad day.
While he did not qualify, he said that private sector candidates will not be discouraged from stepping forward to contest future presidential elections.
“This country needs an independent president; we cannot continue the same system (where) after 30 years we are still rejected by the establishment,” he said.
“I hope this day will come...an independent president must walk into the Istana tall, (to) represent the people of Singapore.”

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Goh said he had been fairly confident he would make the cut, because he had assembled a broad team of experts to assess his eligibility. They included a former Attorney-General, a constitutional law professor, a former judge and a senior counsel, among others.

Walter Woon ah ? :rolleyes:

Kevin Tan ah ? :eek:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imho the odds will be something like this kind of 3 face bets

Home odd is tharma
Draw odd is tkl
Away odd is song

It will open like this
Screenshot_20230819_123143_Chrome.jpg

Then later just before pe closing time will become like this
Screenshot_20230819_123228_Chrome.jpg

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Dr Tan Cheng Bok officially endorses Tan Kin Lian, the odds will change.

By and large, Singaporeans want a non-establishment President. Even a good proportion of the 61% voted for a non-establishment candidate because there was no risk that their HDB precincts and values would be penalized.

So Tharman is no "pao jiak".

What you can be sure is that even before the ball is kicked, Tharman has already lost 39% of the Opposition votes.

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) not to grant him a certificate of eligibility, thereby ending his run for the presidency.
The PEC had rejected his argument that his experience running five companies that met the shareholders’ equity and profitability criteria was equivalent to that of a CEO running a single company, he said.
This was a “very narrow interpretation of the requirements without explaining the rationale behind its decision” and has deprived Singaporeans of a wider choice to select the next president, he added in a statement.
The PEC can give any bullshit and review any crap just to make you not qualified. it's corrupted and i wonder Singaporeans can see through this. I am surprise people are willing to go and vote for such corrupted set up. Just like i am surprise that 97% go get the jab.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Presidential Elections Committee makes public why it rejected George Goh’s application​

2023081875514726img4216.jpg

Businessman George Goh said at a press conference earlier that he cannot accept the Presidential Elections Committee's decision. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
natasha.png

Natasha Ann Zachariah
Correspondent

August 19, 2023

SINGAPORE – The Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) was not satisfied that the five companies put forth by businessman George Goh in his application for presidency constituted a single private sector organisation.
In a statement released on Friday night, the PEC said that it had “carefully considered” Mr Goh’s application for a certificate of eligibility under Article 19(4)(b), the private-sector deliberative track.
“However, after taking into account the relevant facts and circumstances, including how the companies were owned, managed and operated, the committee was not satisfied that the five companies constituted a single private sector organisation,” it added.
“Consequently, for the reasons explained in the committee’s letter to Mr Goh, the committee was unable to grant Mr Goh a Certificate of Eligibility under Article 19(4)(b) of the Constitution.”
At a press conference held at his house earlier, Mr Goh said he cannot accept the PEC’s decision, which he felt was unfair.
He later added in a media statement that the PEC “took a very narrow interpretation of the requirements without explaining the rationale behind its decision”.
The PEC said that it decided to release its letter to Mr Goh in response to public allegations made against it.

In its letter of rejection to Mr Goh, the PEC named the five companies that he had used for his application.
He said in his application that he is group executive chairman of Ossia International, executive deputy chairman of Pertama Holdings, group executive chairman of ITG International, chief executive officer of Crown Essentials and chief executive officer of Vernal Ventures.
Crown Essentials is registered in the British Virgin Islands.

The PEC also noted in its letter to Mr Goh that Article 19(4)(b)(ii) of the Constitution requires the committee to consider whether the applicant has the experience and the ability that comes from managing a very large private sector organisation.
It said that “the experience and ability that comes from managing multiple smaller private sector organisations is not equivalent to this”.
The committee said it proceeded accordingly on the basis that it could only consider a single office in a single private sector organisation.
This was for the purpose of assessing whether the applicant has the experience and ability comparable to those of a person who has served as the chief executive of a typical company with at least $500 million in shareholders’ equity and who satisfies Article 19(4)(a) of the Constitution, in relation to such service.

The PEC said that it considered Mr Goh’s submission that the five companies he relied on in his application should be regarded as a single private sector organisation, rather than separate entities.
Mr Goh submitted that the shareholders’ equity of these five companies should be considered collectively for the purpose of his application under Article 19(4)(b).
However, the PEC said that after considering the relevant facts and circumstances, including how the companies were owned, managed and operated, it was “not satisfied” that the five companies constituted a single private sector organisation.
The committee, therefore, did not aggregate the shareholders’ equity of the five companies for Mr Goh’s application.
The Committee further considered whether any one of the five companies would individually satisfy Article 19(4)(b), said the letter.
However, the shareholders’ equity of each of these five companies was significantly below $500 million.
It said in its letter to Mr Goh: “Thus, the committee was not satisfied, having regard to the nature of your office in each of the companies and your performance in the office, and the size and complexity of each of the companies, that you have experience and ability that is comparable to the experience and ability of a person who has served as the chief executive of a typical company with at least $500 million in shareholders’ equity and who satisfies Article 19(4)(a) of the Constitution in relation to such service.”
The PEC said: “The committee was therefore unable to grant you a certificate of eligibility.”
Under the Constitution, the decision of the PEC on whether someone is eligible to be a candidate is final and not subject to appeal or review in any court.
The Presidential Elections Committee’s letter to Mr George Goh:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tan Kin Lian says he respects Ng Kok Song but Tharman is his strongest opponent for the presidency​

2023081916119456pix7876.jpg

Mr Tan Kin Lian said he saw the role of the president as a “conduit for feedback” between members of the public and the Government. ST PHOTO: EUGENE TAN
zhaki_abdullah.png

Zhaki Abdullah

August 19, 2023

SINGAPORE - Presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian said that while he respects former GIC chief investment officer Ng Kok Song, his main opponent in the race for the Istana is Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam.
Mr Tan said, however, that while Mr Tharman would likely make a good president, he is unlikely to be an independent one.
Pointing to the former senior minister’s 22 years as a People’s Action Party MP, Mr Tan said it was doubtful whether Mr Tharman could effect change.
“I think that for the people of Singapore, it is better to elect a president (who is) independent of the current Government,” he said.
Mr Tan was speaking to reporters on Saturday during a visit to the Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre.
The former NTUC Income chief noted that while Mr Tharman has touted his background in economics and international affairs, a president would have advisers to guide him on such matters.
As to the role played by the president in articulating Singapore’s interests on the international stage, Mr Tan pointed to his own experience as chairman of the International Cooperative and Mutual Insurance Federation between 1992 and 1997.

Mr Tan said he also saw the role of the president as a “conduit for feedback” between members of the public and the Government; to address issues such as the rising cost of living. “So my message to the younger people is to vote for the president that can change your future,” he said.
Among the issues that Mr Tan said he plans to address is whether Singapore has enough in its reserves, or if it has too much.
Among the president’s responsibilities is to safeguard Singapore’s reserves, with his or her consent required should the Government wish to draw on the Republic’s past reserves in times of crisis.

“If we have too much, why burden the people with higher taxes or GST?” said Mr Tan.
While it is the Government’s role to decide on whether such increases are needed, the president should communicate to the Government how such matters will impact people here, he said.

Mr Tan said he plans to hold an in-person rally on Aug 25, at a location to be confirmed at a later date.
He noted that while the Elections Department said in guidelines issued on Aug 12 that rallies were discouraged as they could be “divisive and not congruent with the unifying role of the elected presidency”, such events were not outright banned.
He added that the speakers would likely include his proposer Mr Tan Jee Say – who ran against him in the 2011 presidential election – as well as his seconder Mr Lim Tean.
Mr Tan Jee Say was the founder of the now defunct Singaporeans First political party and contested the last general election as a member of the Singapore Democratic Party.
Mr Lim, who accompanied Mr Tan Kin Lian on Saturday, is the founder of the Peoples Voice party.
When asked if the speakers were aimed at getting votes from supporters of opposition parties, Mr Tan said such voters were already with him and that he was aiming to garner the support of the “middle ground”.
“They are not political, but they also want to have a brighter future. They are also suffering from hardship, (rising) cost of living and so on. So this is the middle ground that I am reaching out to,” he said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘I’m not looking for fame, power, money’: Ng Kok Song wants to safeguard reserves and let people vote​

DSC9433.jpg

Presidential hopeful Ng Kok Song and his fiancee Sybil Lau (left) posing for photos with patrons at Kovan 209 Market and Food Centre on Aug 19. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
shabana_begum.png

Shabana Begum

August 20, 2023

SINGAPORE - He joined the race to be Singapore’s next president so that he can safeguard the country’s reserves and allow people to exercise their right to vote, said presidential hopeful Ng Kok Song.
Speaking to the media at Kovan 209 Market and Food Centre on Saturday afternoon, the former chief investment officer at GIC drew upon how his 45-year career at the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and GIC had allowed him to build up the nation’s reserves and gain domain expertise in investment.
“I do not want to see our financial reserves being squandered,” he said. “The reserves will be spent in no time if we have a bad government and if there’s no president to check the government. So I have a very deep personal interest.
“Now, if the day arrives when a bad government wants to use our past reserves, I will know how to say no. I understand the international economic environment... how the Singapore economy will be very badly affected (and) to what extent if there is a crisis.”
Mr Ng, 75, added that he did not throw his hat in the ring for power, fame or money.
He decided to enter the race because he was worried there would be a walkover, with former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam being elected if entrepreneur George Goh did not qualify.
Mr Ng announced his bid on July 19 about a month after Mr Tharman, 66, and Mr Goh, 63, stepped forward. At the time, former NTUC Income chief executive Tan Kin Lian had not signed up.

Mr Ng said he wanted Singaporeans to exercise their right to vote. “When I came forward to put my name, there were only Mr Tharman and George Goh. I was very concerned that Mr George Goh may not qualify.”
The three men – Mr Ng, Mr Tharman and Mr Tan – have qualified as candidates for the upcoming presidential election.
Asked who he considered his formidable opponent, Mr Ng said it was Mr Tharman.
“When you’re not a government-endorsed candidate, you face a lot of challenges. Many organisations, business organisations, civic organisations are afraid to invite me. Because they do not want to offend the Government,” he said.
He also reiterated his lack of ties to any political party, adding that that was his definition of an independent candidate.
Young people will be a focus if he were elected, he said. He has three things he wants to teach younger people: To learn to meditate and reduce stress, to be confident public speakers, and to learn how to save money and invest.

Mr Ng was asked if he thought the Presidential Elections Committee’s decision to qualify him – he was GIC’s chief investment officer and not its chief executive – would encourage more people to enter future elections. To this, he said he wanted not only to see more capable Singaporeans come forward for the presidency, but also to have more entering politics and joining the opposition as well.
On how he thinks he would fare against Mr Tharman on the campaign trail and at the polls, Mr Ng said: “It’s like David versus Goliath. It is possible. I hope the people of Singapore will help David.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rekindling solidarity crucial to bridge Singapore’s social divide: Tharman​

HES4785.JPG

Presidential hopeful Tharman Shanmugaratnam and his wife Jane Yumiko Ittogi posing for photos with participants at a dialogue at YWCA Fort Canning on Aug 19. ST PHOTO: HESTER TAN
Syarafana.png

Syarafana Shafeeq

August 19, 2023

SINGAPORE - School grades, income levels, economic matters and conventional success are things that can be measured by individuals and countries.
But things that cannot be measured, like relationships and social distances, should be given more thought as intangibles make up a lot of the quality of a society, said presidential hopeful Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Saturday.
The former senior minister said that when he was a child in the 1960s, most people in Singapore were poor.
“There was a great sense of sameness, starting from poverty and then starting a movement up. Everyone was the same.”
Now, there is less of a sense of sameness. “Those who have succeeded through education, jobs or business, they bring up their children in a different way, compared with those who are less successful.”
It is important to focus on how to create and recreate a sense of solidarity that is very important to the Singapore identity – more so than for most other countries, he added.
Mr Tharman was speaking to about 300 young people from social enterprises, advocacy groups and ground-up movements at a dialogue hosted by non-profit Access Singapore at YWCA Fort Canning.

During the hour-long session, the audience chatted with Mr Tharman on topics such as mental health, the LGBTQ+ community, racial issues and climate change.
On racial issues, Mr Tharman said things have improved now, and it was very different in the old days.
“It is remarkable that we are so peaceful and people accept each other despite being so multiracial and multi-religious. But we have to go further, and it requires not looking down on people, putting yourself in someone’s shoes, and going the extra step to get to know and respect each other.”

Sharing his personal experiences with racial discrimination growing up, “never think that growing up as a minority is the same as growing up as a majority (race) in Singapore”.
It was normal for some people to not want to sit next to him on the bus, he said. It was also not uncommon for buses to not stop if he was the only person flagging it down at the bus stop.
“I was used to it then, but things are so much better now,” he said, but added that more can be done.
Those within minority groups who are successful have to be sensitive to the fact that those in the lower rungs of their own communities still face these challenges, he said.

On the topic of mental health, which he said is an issue of growing concern, Mr Tharman noted how people know where to get help if suffering from illnesses such as diabetes or cancer.
“There is nothing embarrassing about it, and everyone is encouraged to see the doctor and stick to their appointments as much as possible.”
But when it comes to mental illness, people keep it in the shadows and people around them whisper about it.
“We have to change that. Deal with it just like all other illnesses.”
Mr Tharman added: “The role of the presidency, in a more uncertain and contested environment, and in a more diverse environment where people have more different views, becomes more important. Not just symbolically, but by supporting initiatives on the ground which help bring people together, that reduce differences and that create a sense of solidarity.”

Niggers are apes

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was normal for some people to not want to sit next to him on the bus, he said. It was also not uncommon for buses to not stop if he was the only person flagging it down at the bus stop.
“I was used to it then, but things are so much better now,” he said, but added that more can be done.
Those within minority groups who are successful have to be sensitive to the fact that those in the lower rungs of their own communities still face these challenges, he said.

tan.jpg