• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Poor country Thailand has universal healthcare

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting to read the articles in the link below...when they first implemented it 10 yrs ago, the elites there said will not work and will bankrupt the country. It turned out to be a spectacular success.

99.5% of citizens have insurance covering both primary care and catastropic illness. 15-20% of Singaporeans are uninsured and up to 30% could be under insured.

Thais implemented the 30baht scheme which is now well known for its success. Under the scheme the Thais pay a flat 30baht consultant fee, those who are above 60 and the poor see the doctor for free.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1475-9276-6-11

http://asiancorrespondent.com/10680...ailands-universal-coverage-healthcare-scheme/

While Thais are living in an unenviable poor country compared with super rich Singapore, the govt set aside its limited resources to build a universal healthcare system so that citizens no longer worry abt healthcare financing out of their pockets. On the other hand, Singapore, the country with one of the wealthest govt by reserves, has a system in which the citizens have the highest out of pocket payment among developed countries and some of the people feel they can afford to die but cannot afford to get sick.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Their "universal healthcare" was implemented by Thaksin. Wanna guess what happened to him?

BTW Thaksin have more than a couple of times openly announced his admiration for PAP

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friend they pay their ministers in baht and sinkees paid their millionsters in sink dollar. Where do you think the millions comes from? Universal hell care is what sinkees can afford la.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their "universal healthcare" was implemented by Thaksin. Wanna guess what happened to him?

BTW Thaksin have more than a couple of times openly announced his admiration for PAP

His admiration for PAP doesn't mean he admire every aspect of the system in place. Thaksin is as brilliant as he is flawed. His pursuit of populism as a tool set himself as up as an enemy of Bangkok elites. His universal healthcare system was initially greeted with scepticism that it was a purr populist effort that eventually would prove unsustainable. 11 yrs later, all research shows the universal scheme a success that gave access to good medical services to all citizens and caused no great strain on the budget.

How does the singapore system measuring up? We have the highest out of pocket expenditure among developed countries which means the burden on those who get sick is very high. We have not insured everyone. In Thailand medical is free for those above 60, in singapore we drop coverage for those who need it most, elderly above 90.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pray tell what happened to thaksin exactly?
Don't you know he is running the current Thai administration behind the scene?
Do you know he still has the majority of popular votes?
Even uneducated Thai farmers got more balls and political savvy than 60.1% of sinkies that's why their govt looks after them.

The other part regarding thaksin being pap admirer....TS already replied.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are talking about healthcare financing.
In Singapore, we have highest out of pocket
worse in the developed countrries... meaning people worry about getting sick due to financial burden
Like US is most advanced in medical technology but the health care system is a mess
Singapore is number 4 on the life expectancy table.

Thailand is number 73.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Those who think Thailand has better healthcare are welcome to move up to Thailand to shorten their life by almost a decade. :rolleyes:

DogVader

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Fuck the Yellow Shirts.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Pray tell what happened to thaksin exactly?
Don't you know he is running the current Thai administration behind the scene?
Do you know he still has the majority of popular votes?
Even uneducated Thai farmers got more balls and political savvy than 60.1% of sinkies that's why their govt looks after them.

The other part regarding thaksin being pap admirer....TS already replied.

Come on you guys did not see him last month? He was at the F1 Singapore

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/371076/

With good friend

With Aung San Suu Kyi

With daughters

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
i thought if you see doctor free.. the doctor will give you fuck up medicine. he doctor can't claimed the money from the govt or has to wait for a long time.

kekekekeke Pii Tony I go Bumrunrad la hiso hiso but most of my illness performing hyro-therapy in Poseidon Hospital can cure me liao

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, I still remember when our Polyclinics charged S$0.50 for consultation fee during the early 1970s.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
kekekekeke Pii Tony I go Bumrunrad la hiso hiso but most of my illness performing hyro-therapy in Poseidon Hospital can cure me liao

i am referring to the common thais lah... so when they mention best health care, but do they really practise it with integrity.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
...and how is that a good thing given the quality of life for the elderly in Singapore?

There is nothing wrong with the quality of life in Singapore. It's a lot better compared to most other countries.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
the battle in thailand is different. it is between the monarchy and the republicans.