• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Political analyst slams SDP, says it has no credibility

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Political observer Siew Kum Hong told Yahoo! Singapore the whole episode has damaged SDP's standing.

"The SDP's decision to not contest is an 180-degree turn from their previous statements... Voters will only elect parties that are credible and predictable; the SDP's statements and actions over the past 2 weeks show them to be neither," he said.

"Some people seem to think that the SDP has brilliantly played out some grand strategy in all this. In my view, the patently unworkable proposal of a joint campaign with the WP strongly suggests that there was no grand strategy. The SDP's standing has been tremendously weakened by all this."

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/sdp-withdraws-from-punggol-east-by-election-in-shock-move-082525479.html

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Political observer Siew Kum Hong told Yahoo! Singapore the whole episode has damaged SDP's standing.

"The SDP's decision to not contest is an 180-degree turn from their previous statements... Voters will only elect parties that are credible and predictable; the SDP's statements and actions over the past 2 weeks show them to be neither," he said.

"Some people seem to think that the SDP has brilliantly played out some grand strategy in all this. In my view, the patently unworkable proposal of a joint campaign with the WP strongly suggests that there was no grand strategy. The SDP's standing has been tremendously weakened by all this."

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/sdp-withdraws-from-punggol-east-by-election-in-shock-move-082525479.html

Fucking up in front of a few thousand people is much much better than fucking up in front of a few million people.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah loong already took the bait.

It is time for SDP to stay quiet.

no more ah gua agenda, mr. Siew Kum Hong beh song!!

so funny!

Last edited:

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally, I would not give credit to SDP for this withdrawal.
I would say it is the power of the social media that help save this BE,
or at the moment, half the BE.
Now we shall see whether that power can persuade the RP, SDA, DDP etc etc into retreat.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
to minimize the damage to the party, it better for CSJ and Jufrie to resign and let others takeover.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, I would not give credit to SDP for this withdrawal.
I would say it is the power of the social media that help save this BE,
or at the moment, half the BE.

Ironically, the social media that SDP cleaves to most brought it down a few notches. An example of a double edged sword in place.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically, the social media that SDP cleaves to most brought it down a few notches. An example of a double edged sword in place.

I would think members of the CEC and other party members would have been monitoring TRE and Yahoo! News closely and realised that the overwhelming sentiment was against SDP. And then when they went on their house visits to PE they received a rude shock when residents told them they were not welcome. You cannot get a more unequivocal message online and offline than that.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would think members of the CEC and other party members would have been monitoring TRE and Yahoo! News closely and realised that the overwhelming sentiment was against SDP. And then when they went on their house visits to PE they received a rude shock when residents told them they were not welcome. You cannot get a more unequivocal message online and offline than that.

It takes a real man to enter the fray against the odds, but an even bigger man to heed the call of his supporters and retreat to fight another day. History is full of such examples.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
It takes a real man to enter the fray against the odds, but an even bigger man to heed the call of his supporters and retreat to fight another day. History is full of such examples.

hahaha. The man you are talking about wanted to fight on but had his leash yanked by a majority in the CEC.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
By 'man', I refer to the party SDP, not one individual. SDP is not CSJ, if you know how it functions.

I do. But it seems one man went riot and started doing things without authorisation, and so he had his leash yanked by a CEC that seemed thoroughly fed-up with his antics. hahaha

Let's see how your idol, yawningbread, eventually spins this one. :biggrin:

TuaGow

Alfrescian
Loyal
sdp has lost all its credibiility. nobody will trust them anymore after taking everyone for merry go round.:mad:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sdp has lost all its credibiility. nobody will trust them anymore after taking everyone for merry go round.:mad:

On the other hand, the SDP has taken the moral high ground for opposition unity by staying out of this BE, albeit a little clumsily.

Ball's in WP's court come 2016. Voters have eyes to see.

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the other hand, the SDP has taken the moral high ground for opposition unity by staying out of this BE, albeit a little clumsily.

moral highground? Lol

shit stirrer describes csj better.

TuaGow

Alfrescian
Loyal

should have stayed out and never to enter in the first place, just like nsp and spp, for the sake of opposition unity.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
should have stayed out and never to enter in the first place, just like nsp and spp, for the sake of opposition unity.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I think SDP had real hopes of persuading WP to field a joint candidate and went for it, but it backfired. Nonetheless the decision to pull out is still the most appropriate one given the circumstances.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hindsight is always 20/20. I think SDP had real hopes of persuading WP to field a joint candidate and went for it, but it backfired. Nonetheless the decision to pull out is still the most appropriate one given the circumstances.

I can understand if CSJ thinks that they can persuade WP to field a joint candidate because CSJ is stupid.

What is truly disturbing is if VW and PT thought the same way.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can understand if CSJ thinks that they can persuade WP to field a joint candidate because CSJ is stupid.

What is truly disturbing is if VW and PT thought the same way.

Maybe VW and PT thought there was a very, very slim chance they might pull it off. No harm in approaching WP. If they say no, you just back off.

The mistake was going to the press with it.