• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Polar Curry Puffs Now $1.50 is it worth it

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Polar keeps on raising the price of its small curry puffs...I quite like the taste, but now at $1.50 a curry puff do you chaps think it is worth paying that price?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Polar keeps on raising the price of its small curry puffs...I quite like the taste, but now at $1.50 a curry puff do you chaps think it is worth paying that price?

Curry puff is bad for the health.

So if you are wondering if it is worth it, only buy when they have their promotions.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have a friend who loves curry puffs so much. he eats at least 10 a day since 5 years ago. now he has sever heart problem and kenna stroke a week before.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have a friend who loves curry puffs so much. he eats at least 10 a day since 5 years ago. now he has sever heart problem and kenna stroke a week before.

I'm not surprised.
All that lard & refined flour. Cooking by frying is the most unheathy method :rolleyes:

AddinMedia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find chinese version of curry puffs tends to be more greasy then malay version.

Perhaps now is not the right time to mention Geylang Serai market.

However, there is one stall selling for 80 cts each and I find that their pastries when eaten don't have the oily feeling and nice. ( But please don't mistaken for the mass produce, 3 for a dollar type which are usually not make on the spot)

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who don't know about curry puffs, Polar puffs are baked, not fried. Not sold in frozen packs like the Malay ones are. But Like Breadtalk, Polar place themselves at prime locations and think they can fetch that kind of money. Already I am ordering one at a time. But think I cut to zero with the latest price increase. Old Chang Kee is better value for money. Very tasty when they are fresh off the fryer.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was once a Polar Cafe located along High Street. It was a small clean coffeshop, non aircond (before global warming). You can sip coffee and have one of their famous curry puff for some 60cts. Some of you may have the opportunity to experience this.
Today, with high rental costs (no thanks to landlords like CapitaLand with S$20M CEO, and Maple Tree) the price is now S$1.50 just for one miserly puff. The original taste is gone and the pastry soggy. Forget them. Make your own at home for as low as 30cts each. Try it like I did.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was once a Polar Cafe located along High Street. It was a small clean coffeshop, non aircond (before global warming). You can sip coffee and have one of their famous curry puff for some 60cts. Some of you may have the opportunity to experience this.
Today, with high rental costs (no thanks to landlords like CapitaLand with S$20M CEO, and Maple Tree) the price is now S$1.50 just for one miserly puff. The original taste is gone and the pastry soggy. Forget them. Make your own at home for as low as 30cts each. Try it like I did.

Yes I remember that old Polar cafe. Those were the good old days :smile:

Care to share your curry puff recipe?

Is this oven baked or fried?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I read somewhere on the www. that Kwa Geok Choo was a regular customer.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I remember that old Polar cafe. Those were the good old days :smile:

Care to share your curry puff recipe?

Is this oven baked or fried?

My curry puffs are oven baked. Must use puff pastry. Then ready made rendang curry mix, add chicken or other meat of your preference, small pieces of cut potatoes and onions. Cut puff pastry into square then fill with stuffing and fold diagonally into triangle pieces.
Bake in oven then voila! Hope this helps.

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read somewhere on the www. that Kwa Geok Choo was a regular customer.

Yes, I recall seeing her several times buying for family.
She also buys her classical CDs often from the Gramophone at Orchard Rd opposite the Mandarin Hotel (now the Heeren site) which then shifted to Centrepoint.

papa san

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also happen to enjoy Polar curry puffs. But since their prices have going up like no tomorrow I will now boycott these. Good also for my health.

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like their baked curry puff and baked chicken pie, dont forget to try their prune cheese cake, very solid.

But i hate that fucker Timothy the clown prince. Jia liao bee