• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court reporter omitted something?

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
[PMD-pedestrian rules] Singapore Court judges are high handed and biased or court reporter omitted something?

How can they fine a poor guy $3500 just for playing loud music and then say that he was "negligent" when it was in fact the pedestrian who was not keeping any clear lookout on where she was heading.

In fact, the court established that there was ZERO COLLISION to begin with, so probably the pedestrian was unfit with wobbly feet or the truly negligent party who fell down herself due to being inattentive or unwell to begin with. The PMD user was in fact travelling at a carefully REDUCED speed limit since at the material time, the maximum speed limit for footpaths was in fact 15kph (this was only reduced to 10 kph in early 2019 https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...eed-limit-footpaths-cut-to-10kmh-pmd-10682204 ).

In fact, the loud music should have warned the negligent pedestrian that there was a PMD approaching. Perhaps the pedestrian was absorbed in her own personal family problems or looking at her handphone etc whilst crossing the street.

Either there is something important that has been missed by the state media court reporter or else a miscarriage of justice has occurred in this sad case.

The Singapore judiciary should avoid going on a witch hunt against PMD users just because some pedestrians were personally negligent and probably fell down due to their own carelessness or inattention to the traffic around them and suffered serious injuries as a result.

Perhaps the poor PMD user should be praised for stopping to help Mdm Yeo and call for an ambulance rather than just riding off since there was zero collision, implying that Mdm Yeo was just careless and fell down by herself. This unjust and ridiculous judgement thus encourages road users NOT to stop to assist accident victims so as to avoid being unfairly blamed for causing the accident when it wasn't their fault to begin with. Society will be overly defensive and uncaring as a consequence of this irresponsible and high handed judgement as the report portrays.

And if listening to music is a crime, then all vehicular radio and music systems should be disabled in all moving vehicles and likewise, any pedestrian who listens to music on the pavement or when crossing the road should be immediately fined $50 for behaving in a negligent manner in public.

Reference :
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/encounter-with-pmd-rider-left-woman-with-30-stitches

Woman suffered fractured skull, needed 30 stitches after near collision with PMD rider

nz_stitches_130938.jpg

The operation left Madam Yeo Eng Koong with 30 stitches, which were removed after about 11 days.
The operation left Madam Yeo Eng Koong with 30 stitches, which were removed after about 11 days.PHOTO: YEO ENG KOONG
PUBLISHEDSEP 13, 2019, 5:00 AM SGT
53-year-old suffered fractured skull after falling backwards in near collision
Kristelynn Lim
A wound that needed 30 stitches to close, and a dent in her head are the permanent reminders of a painful encounter Madam Yeo Eng Koong had with an e-scooter last year.

The 53-year-old compliance executive suffered a fractured skull and needed surgery after falling backwards when the e-scooter rider came close to colliding with her.

"After opening my skull, the doctor had to use the stapling method to seal the wound. I had a total of 30 stitches on my head and it was all the way down to my ears. I was shocked when I saw it."

The e-scooter rider, Tham Chee Boon, 36, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to causing grievous hurt to Madam Yeo by riding an e-scooter in a negligent manner.

He was fined $3,500.

Tham, a paramedic for a private firm, was riding his e-scooter home on March 29 last year at about 9.30pm.

He was approaching a traffic light junction near Block 362 in Woodlands Avenue 5 when he almost ran into Madam Yeo.

In an interview with Shin Min Daily News, Madam Yeo said that after she had crossed the traffic junction, she heard loud music approaching.

It is believed that Tham was listening to music as he was riding the e-scooter. Tham, who was travelling at about 10kmh, applied the brakes on his e-scooter and avoided hitting Madam Yeo.

But she was so startled that she stumbled backwards and fell, hitting her head on the ground.

PAINFUL INJURIES

After opening my skull, the doctor had to use the stapling method to seal the wound. I had a total of 30 stitches on my head and it was all the way down to my ears. I was shocked when I saw it.

MADAM YEO ENG KOONG

She was unconscious for about one minute.

Her fall left her with head injuries, bruises on her chin and neck, as well as a cracked tooth.

She was later taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, where doctors said she had a skull fracture and a blood clot in her brain.

The operation left her with 30 stitches, which were removed after about 11 days.

Madam Yeo said she was in intensive care for two days, and was then in and out of hospital for another 13 days.

She was given medical leave for three months after she was discharged.

Madam Yeo said her medical expenses added up to about $18,000 and her dental surgery required another $4,900.

She also said that Tham had sent a text message to apologise to her, but she was unable to reply immediately as she was still in hospital.

She responded later to his message, hoping to be able to talk to him privately.

She said: "I was hoping to solve the matter privately as I heard that he was young and I did not want him to go to jail and have his future ruined."

Madam Yeo said even though the accident was more than a year ago, she still has frequent headaches and tires easily.

Since then, she said, she has started paying more attention to her surroundings and is especially careful when she sees an oncoming scooter.

She said: "I will look left and right, and from time to time I will turn around and see if there is a scooter behind me."

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/encounter-with-pmd-rider-left-woman-with-30-stitches

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
TedBoi(HWZ) said:
Things happened, need scapegoat right? I don't see anything wrong with the PMD behavior. This guy stopped in time, and get blamed even though no collision. Some of those that collided just speed off and nothing happened

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT

What the stupid District Judge Christopher Tan is doing in this case I think, is to create a more litigatious society.

Many people in future will just jump onto the zebra crossings or cross blindfolded or looking at their handphone and purposely fall down in front of the car to successfully claim for damages even if the car DID NOT hit them because by screeching to a halt, the car driver frightened them and caused them to fall down.

The car driver will then be prosecuted in court and should be no problem getting insurance to pay for all the pedestrian psychological damages, PTSD, cannot work etc because the car driver is already convicted for offence in criminal court.

The gg for all car drivers in Singapore I guess.

Only solution is for Singapore courts to be even more kangaroo in nature, double standards and self contradictory in an even more obvious manner.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
wlalala(HWZ) said:
Your post is in contempt of court btw...

Anyway, the defendant pleaded guilty, the judge can't overrule a guilty plea.
Sometimes the AGC is a cowboy and the district court (and other government bodies) just a rubber stamp machine (e.g. Vivien Teoh 11 stabs case).

==================

In the judgement, Chief Justice Menon wrote that the case was a result of “an ill-judged prosecution, an unwise decision to plead guilty and an unfounded conviction”.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...on-fined-s100000-calls-it-miscarriage-justice

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
due to the new rulings on pmds, it's to put the heat on them by knifing the cheekon's balls to scare the monkeys :tongue:

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh so if no pmd she woukd still have fallen? Rubbish. Is pmd a god given right now? How come motorcycle never have this sort of crap?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I think PMDs suffer from negative publicity because the early adopters were mostly reckless ah bengs, m&ds and idiotic teenagers. And I think they still form the majority of riders today. The yuppies, conservationists, and the "affluent" only caught onto the craze later. But it's too late, it will take a massive paradigm shift to alter public opinion.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I think PMDs suffer from negative publicity because the early adopters were mostly reckless ah bengs, m&ds and idiotic teenagers. And I think they still form the majority of riders today. The yuppies, conservationists, and the "affluent" only caught onto the craze later. But it's too late, it will take a massive paradigm shift to alter public opinion.

PMDs...Lol:biggrin:
PAP's Pride. You peasants have no say! :biggrin:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tschuus(HWZ) said:
TS is kumgong. PMD user wasn't punished for playing loud music. He was punished for his involvement in causing a serious accident. Fact is, auntie wouldnt have fell if not for PMD.

I also find TS argument that loud music absolved pmd of responsibilities seriously kumlan. If true, everyone should just drive like lunatics while blasting their horns. If you die bec i bang you .. its your fault for not hearing me.

The court was relatively lenient to the PMD user bec user was quite responsible and rendered help. But if TS wants him not to be punished but be lauded instead, TS is free to prove pmd user wasnt involved at all in an accident that caused a serious head injury to pedestrian.

Hoi hoi hoi.

How can u say PMD user was riding like a lunatic?

If any, some here will even argue that the PMD user was 'road hogging' and being too careful because he was actually traveling BELOW his speed limit at the material time by 5kph (the speed limit when the accident occured was 15kph).

Most importantly, the lady pedestrian was certainly negligent for not looking out where she was walking and proceeded to move forward, despite the two large electric boxes creating for her a blind corner. If any, the PMD user was incidentally a more prudent road user by playing 'loud music' to inform pedestrians that he was close by since many pedestrians don't keep left and walk in all directions recklessly and haphazardly. Importantly, there was no collision at all and instead, the self absorbed pedestrian fell down on her own, the degree of her injuries only a measure of how self absorbed she was and totally not paying any attention to the road/ street conditions. The auntie would have fallen down even if it was only a mouse or cat that ran across her path or a flying bird startled her.

If any, this is an unwarranted prosecution by a trigger happy AGC and should at most just been a civil case to be argued with a fine toothed comb by the involved parties since both were obviously negligent to have approached a blind corner without making sure there wasn't anything around.

An abuse of court process and miscarriage of justice has thus occured in this case. This case should not have been submitted for trial to begin with.
=================

High Court overturns conviction of surgeon fined S$100,000, calls it ‘miscarriage of justice’
By*LOUISA TANG

Gleneagles Medical Centre
The High Court concluded that orthopaedic surgeon Lim Lian Arn (pictured) should not have been subjected to disciplinary sanctions in the first place.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...on-fined-s100000-calls-it-miscarriage-justice

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
SKenny(HWZ) said:
PMD user not paying attention.

Enough said.

As if the silly pedestrian was paying any bit more attention.

The pedestrian was at least 50% to blame if not more.

Thus, this is a case of unjust prosecution by trigger happy LTA/AGC. At best, this should have been a civil suit, otherwise, so many traffic accidents on Singapore roads, LTA should prosecute each and every single one of them in court.

The corollary of this case is of the same woman walking into a lamp post. Court will convict the lamp post for obstructing her way instead.

This is just how stupid our courts seem to be today.

82eb386a2975c1a9ccb4c450d8641d04.gif