• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PM NDP speech

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me say my piece. You can add with your opinion.

I see a tone down of language. Even yesterday LKY also tone down. For this I give him my guarded trust. He earn back some points from me for at least being honest about the past 5 year cock ups and put into action to solve them.

He no longer call the foreigner "talent". Ok we start from here. I like this attitude. We are not against FT policy. We just don't like how they are punching our pride and letting the foreigners step all over us.

That is what I say for now.

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal

I see a tone down of language. Even yesterday LKY also tone down. For this I give him my guarded trust. He earn back some points from me for at least being honest about the past 5 year cock ups and put into action to solve them.

He no longer call the foreigner "talent". Ok we start from here. I like this attitude. We are not against FT policy. We just don't like how they are punching our pride and letting the foreigners step all over us.

This clearly shows opposition is needed for them to work harder for the people.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very subdued. Touched on the concerns that was topical during the GE. Nothing new or exciting for the future. No mention of new jobs, new sectors, new plans. No mention on the media. Did make comment that social media leads in negativity and untruths. Very little charisma.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He say it will take times. While "taking times" he will continue to issue PR & Pink IC like tearing toilet papers. He didn't say downsize the population but maintain at "gradual and manageable speed". Than again, he still say "S" passes is still needed to compete with fresh graduates. Raising minimum income of $1800 to $2000 is flawed. Employers can lie in their declaration. Trust me!!! Unless I see concrete result that no foreign prostitutes or Ah Beng PRC loitering in my neighbouring areas, I am not going to be convinced by the clown. How many promises have been broken in the past, you guys got clue.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Their Clown Prince has spoken.. SPH will be hard at work tonite.. The 60% will be eagerly waiting to read Monday's edition of the Shit Times..

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget these positive changes came about because we showed we dared to vote against them. We must continue to do so.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Floodgates will continue to stay open... Red carpets will as usual be rolled out to welcome more foreigners into our country....

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget these positive changes came about because we showed we dared to vote against them. We must continue to do so.

You say it is positive? I thought it was more putting out the fires. Those improvements should have been planned long before it became a problem. Horsey-faced Mah was saying he is in control and not much HDB problems just a year ago. I don't trust the government any more and neither should any of you. The foreign talent was done secretly until it became too obvious they could not hide the facts any longer. Even now MM is saying we need them as they are vital to our economy. This policy does not gel with what he is saying in his speech.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You say it is positive? I thought it was more putting out the fires. Those improvements should have been planned long before it became a problem. Horsey-faced Mah was saying he is in control and not much HDB problems just a year ago. I don't trust the government any more and neither should any of you. The foreign talent was done secretly until it became too obvious they could not hide the facts any longer. Even now MM is saying we need them as they are vital to our economy. This policy does not gel with what he is saying in his speech.

Singaporean must understand that for LHL to change course he must have the mandate of the electorate.
60% gave him the mandate to carry on as it is.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very subdued. Touched on the concerns that was topical during the GE. Nothing new or exciting for the future. No mention of new jobs, new sectors, new plans. No mention on the media. Did make comment that social media leads in negativity and untruths. Very little charisma.

Nothing ventured, nothing gain, nothing new, old or lost.:biggrin: I think that sentence is familar to you, same, old' blah!, blah!..I never bothered to listen to the speech or his speeches, his dad, Yes!.

In other words, the past housing policies were wrong, the manpower or labour policies were defective, whom shall we hold accountable for these?:mad:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing ventured, nothing gain, nothing new, old or lost.:biggrin: I think that sentence is familar to you, same, old' blah!, blah!..I never bothered to listen to the speech or his speeches, his dad, Yes!.

In other words, the past housing policies were wrong, the manpower or labour policies were defective, whom shall we hold accountable for these?:mad:

Ok! Ok! those responsible must return some of their million dollars salary.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am still not happy at the current situation. But PM get seom points from me to at least try to be honest and admit last time got errors. Not like last time everything also want to shaft down our throat and tell us to go fuck off. At least his attitude got change and I think we should encourage that. The policies are still not sound, ok he ask for some time, we review every 3 months. Not happy we kpkb some more as see where we can compromise.

And I agree with bro Winsor, we must dare to vote any one who are good to contest GE. If the oppo person is better (example Nicole Seah vs Tin Pei Ling), we should not hasitate to vote the better person. Competition is good. If we kena competition so long, it is now their turn also. It is good for everyone.

thefarside

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own take is this

- they are right in the sense that the HDB problem can be solved. Supply, as long as there is enough, will do its part to suck demand away from resale market and private housing and gradually moderate prices.
- tertiary education is probably next easiest to handle, the capacity of universities have been boosted in recent years to take in foreigners - they would need to just do some adjustment to increase local allocations but not too far that the quality of grads suffer like Matland where every mother son can quality for uni including straight D students
- they have expanded medical care for low wage workers and will increase public hospital capacity - its a good start but long way to go
- foreigners are the hardest to manage as businesses here have grown addicted to the use of cheap labour from overseas. Profitability in many cases are unrealistically high due to the influx of low-wage workers. Everyone is clamouring to hire in Singapore due to low income taxation, ease of getting permits and good living conditions. Both SMEs and international branches of MNCs are guilty of this.

I think there is a change in tone this year. Less boasting about how great this place is, and recognition that they need to do something and stop the rot. Lets see if they can change.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee mention about frontline staff facing difficult Sinkies demands... & abuse too. This is what customer service is all about! You get F**ked, but still maintain the smile on your face. Sinkies look for "help" only when they can't solve their problem and if Gahment also cannot solve then who else can!?

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only daft Singaporeans :oIo: will believe that the floodgates have or will be reduced. Which part of LKY and LHL "900,000" more FTs did you not understand? :oIo:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first thing that struck me was that they are again throwing money at a problem - the problem of controlling the inflow of FT. As one forummer has mentioned, the money barrier can be abused, and bypassed by tweaking arrangements, false declarations which overloaded govt depts cant monitor.

Why can't they think of other solutions/criteria to staunch the inflow such that Singapore can get the really bright ones, the really talented ones and the ones with skills that we dont actually have. But I suppose here, the best and brightest have already gone to U.S. , U.K. and we are actually getting only what's left at the bottom of the barrel in China who still have the means to come over. In the earlier phases, entry criteria was really a farce as I know of PRs here who pulled other family members along - the brothers, cousins, brother in laws - from China and practically anybody they know.

then from India, it seems to be always so-called IT talents cos every Suresh or Krishnan or Menon that is mentioned is always an IT professional. How is it with our Math, english literacy and numeracy standards (remember we always hear that we are thrashing other countries incl the West in Science and Math contests etc?) we never seem to have enough locals filling these jobs? I have also heard from bros here who were from the IT sectors that these Indians are not always the talents that the govt seems to think they are. Instead, they sound like so much hot air.

In my opinion, the whole system and process of selection for immigration, and not just the criteria, need to be scrutinised and quality control ensured. Nothing should be left on auto-pilot and instead of Ministerial discretion, exceptions shld be handled in a transparent manner.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own take is this

- they are right in the sense that the HDB problem can be solved. Supply, as long as there is enough, will do its part to suck demand away from resale market and private housing and gradually moderate prices.
- tertiary education is probably next easiest to handle, the capacity of universities have been boosted in recent years to take in foreigners - they would need to just do some adjustment to increase local allocations but not too far that the quality of grads suffer like Matland where every mother son can quality for uni including straight D students
- they have expanded medical care for low wage workers and will increase public hospital capacity - its a good start but long way to go
- foreigners are the hardest to manage as businesses here have grown addicted to the use of cheap labour from overseas. Profitability in many cases are unrealistically high due to the influx of low-wage workers. Everyone is clamouring to hire in Singapore due to low income taxation, ease of getting permits and good living conditions. Both SMEs and international branches of MNCs are guilty of this.

I think there is a change in tone this year. Less boasting about how great this place is, and recognition that they need to do something and stop the rot. Lets see if they can change.

At least 90% of FWs are here because the PAP regime promised jobs to China, India and Philippines as part of trade agreements. In exchange for allowing GLCs to invest more and in greater areas in those countries and while protecting GLCs here, the PAP sold off over a million jobs in SG to these countries nationals.

I urge you to try to go to a first world country and try getting a legitimate job there. You will have grave difficulty not only finding jobs but also the work permits and PRs. Only Singapore allows third world country residents to come in freely to stifle wages, add undue stress to public services, crowd out job availability for locals and increase the cost of housing.

The PAP regime has sold a majority of its cititens out, log stock and barrel. You've all been fucked and you have been wondering why and worse yet you think that screwing has stopped. You are going to be screwed as well as your children for as long as the PAP regime is in power.