• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious PM Lee's Personal Data Stolen Because Fucker Manager Too Stressed To Work And Too Lazy To Provide Updates!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
a-singhealth-polyclinic-signage-is-pictured-in-singapore-1--1-.jpg

SINGAPORE: Integrated Health Information Systems (IHiS) senior manager Ernest Tan on Wednesday (Oct 31) returned to the stand to shed more light on the reasons why he did not report suspicious network activities to his superiors, after previously unavailable chat logs between him and his colleagues were provided to him.

Mr Tan said the chat logs were from TigerConnect, a workplace messaging platform that deletes messages after a stipulated period of time.

The messages included those from seven other individuals from his team - Benjamin Lee, Wee Jia Huo, Muhammad Azzlan Zainuddin, Alvin Chua, Lum Yuan Woh, Zac Lim and Sean Navin - between Jun 13 and Jul 9, during which the cyberattack was conducted.

In several of the chat logs, his subordinates had flagged suspicious activities but Mr Tan chose not to escalate these to higher-ups for various reasons.

One example was on Jun 26, when a conversation about access to the Citrix servers using a certain user account took place. Mr Tan said he found this action to be “weird” but said he “was not concerned” when his subordinate Benjamin indicated “it’s possible that the attacker guessed the password”.

“I was not concerned by this, as Benjamin was only proposing a possible means by which the account had been compromised,” the senior manager said. “He was not confirming that this was how the account was compromised.”

Mr Tan was giving testimony in the third tranche of public hearings held as part of the Committee of Inquiry into the cyberattack targeting SingHealth in June this year.

The online attack is Singapore’s most serious breach of personal data to date, in which 1.5 million patient records were accessed and 160,000 individuals had their outpatient dispensed medicine’s records taken, including that of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

“IF I REPORT THE MATTER, WHAT DO I GET?”

Another instance was on Jul 4 - the day the cyberattack was discovered and thwarted by another IHiS employee Katherine Tan - when Benjamin told him “we really need to escalate into incident … Seems like someone managed to get into SCM (Sunrise Clinical Manager) db (database) already … Attack is going on right now”.

To this, Mr Ernest Tan said he “did not see any reason to report the incident upwards” and did not agree with his subordinate’s assessment.

He added: “To me, I need to be able to obtain all the following information before the matter is reportable:

a. All the information about the impact of the attack;

b. The identity of the attacker;

c. Where the attack is coming from;

d. Whether the attacker is an ’internal’ or ‘external’ attacker i.e. whether the attacker is a SingHealth user or whether the attacker is from outside of SingHealth;

e. Whether data in the SCM database had in fact been accessed;

f. Whether there was more than one instance of access to the SCM database.”

The senior manager added that his focus was “on isolation and containment” and the fact that patient data had been accessed “just aroused (his) suspicions” but not enough for him to flag it to management.

Mr Ernest Tan’s mindset towards incident reporting could perhaps be best captured by the message he sent to his team on Jul 6, in which he said: “As mentioned, we need to isolate, contain and defend first … our tightening by infra is not strong enough … even if report now (and) bring down the experts, they’ll say our tightening is not well done … once we escalate to mgt, there will be no day no night … everyone I meant everyone in IHiS will be working non-stop on this case.”

He acknowledged that at this point in time, it occurred to him he should report the incident to the management but chose not to, reiterating that he was “so busy” isolating, containing and defending the incident to do so.

“In fact, I thought to myself: ‘If I report the matter, what do I get?’ If I report the matter, I will simply get more people chasing me for more updates,” the senior manager said, adding reporting would “add a lot of pressure” on his team as external agencies like the Cyber Security Agency (CSA) and Ministry of Health would want information from them.

The IHiS senior manager mentioned he was asked to inform Ms Serena Yong, director for infrastructure services at IHiS, about the incident on Jul 7, but he said he did not want to, as he "was too stressed to work that weekend”. There was a meeting on Jul 9 to run through the events, he added.

Asked by IHiS lawyer Philip Jeyaretnam to clarify the reason for the “stress”, Mr Ernest Tan turned emotional and teared while recounting his mother was ill and had to go to the hospital on Jul 6. His family, knowing he had a lot of work to clear then, did not want to bother him.

TAN’S CRITERIA FOR INCIDENT REPORTING “NOT REQUIRED”: SINGHEALTH GCIO

However, the second witness for the day, IHiS’ Benedict Tan, said the information needed to report IT incidents as stated by Mr Ernest Tan was “not required”.

Mr Benedict Tan, who is SingHealth’s Group Chief Information Officer (GCIO), told the court that he valued the need for speed over the channel used when it comes to incident reporting.

“In my opinion, the speed of reporting is more important than the chain of reporting,” he said in his testimony.

He also took issue with Mr Ernest Tan’s claim that the consequence of his reporting of the incident would have resulted in a lot of pressure for information on him and his team, which would result in them not being able to tackle the incident.

“The entire IHiS would be mobilised (as a result of the incident),” Mr Benedict Tan said, adding that more resources would be added to aid in the efforts to contain and nullify the threat.

“A single team (like Mr Ernest Tan’s) will not lead the effort,” he added.

The hearings will continue in the afternoon, with some of these to be held behind closed doors in the interests of national security as the evidence given may be sensitive in nature.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...s-reluctance-to-report-suspicious-it-10882890

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much is he paid ?
Ya not many managers are as stupid as me to get paid so little and willing to take so much stress indeed. Lazy people get promoted from secretary to manager but hardworking responsible manager get fired and slandered as a SLUT by a useless company that didn’t protect the manager!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The questions are not answered...as usual, they are using rocket launchers to fire at small fly like Ernest Tan, who in his own opinion, has earnestly carried out his work. At the end of the trial, most likely Ernest will gets a slap on the wrist, fine some money...gets move to another position, earning the same salary.

The questions are:
1. Who were the hackers?
2. Which country do they come from?
3. Did they pay the hackers money & how much to get LHL data & the others? ( Wooden go one...they will just tell them you can keep it, less that entry in fees).

They are putting on a show swatting flies...like the old N.S. days, the RSM come back drunk & shout fire! at the guard house & all & one, will go through the motion in which they are trained to put out the fire in accordance to the SOP.

The same is going here...."FIRE!"..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya not many managers are as stupid as me to get paid so little and willing to take so much stress indeed. Lazy people get promoted from secretary to manager but hardworking responsible manager get fired and slandered as a SLUT by a useless company that didn’t protect the manager!
What do you get for being a responsible manager that clear shit for management? Get insulted worldwide “want to suck cock till get fired”. Who still want to be a responsible manager like that? Better be an idle gossiping secretary that get promoted to HR manager that is unqualified and irresponsible doing sexual harassment to staff.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you get for being a responsible manager that clear shit for management? Get insulted worldwide “want to suck cock till get fired”. Who still want to be a responsible manager like that? Better be an idle gossiping secretary that get promoted to HR manager that is unqualified and irresponsible doing sexual harassment to staff.
And yes I am talking about you KT latha unqualified irresponsible secretary turned HR manager doing sexual harassment to staff!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it is actually nobody’s fault, especially not the CEO. Only oppies are so unreasonable to pin the blame on others. :mad::FU:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always blame the low-ranking people.
Ya responsible managers always get all the blame and no credit. When everything goes smoothly it’s expected. When something goes wrong it’s always the easy-to-blame-no-power-backing manager’s fault.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, a "senior manager" in a government organization like IHIS is anything but senior - it's probably a 5-6k assistant manager / senior executive paying job compared to private sector. The poor chap is likely pretty low in the hierarchy and I am inclined to believe his explanation on the amount of bureaucracy and stress that reporting such a thing would have caused.

Based on my understanding of how government organizations work, I opine that Benedict Tan, the so called CIO, is BS-ing and covering his ass because of the severity of the implosion. His claims that "he valued the need for speed over the channel used " and "The entire IHiS would be mobilised" had Ernest Tan reported is laughable for anyone who has ever worked in a public organization.

Had Ernest not gone through proper channels and value "speed" in his reporting, he would have been summoned into the CIO's room with a classic dressing down and told to work through the weekend to cover up and "fix" the issue. My toes are laughing about the whole of IHIS being mobilised part - such an action if taken by Benedict would have been instant career suicide. He would be the butt of everyone's joke including fellow peers, his boss the CEO and senior government officials for the massive "cock up". It is a guarantee to hantataki and possibly even forced resignation thereafter.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the senior manager should have at least informed his direct boss/immediate supervisor instead of "chionging" the issue by himself and his team.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
What does he get for doing his job?

How about not getting fired ?! This fucking cheebye kia Ernest is just like a typical civil serpent!

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the public sector, the higher-ups only want to hear the good stuff so you can only report good news. If you want to report bad news, you better ensure your ass is covered and someone else can be blamed. Standard hallmark of incompetent leadership.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The dog in this inquiry is Philip Jeyaratnam, senior counsel. He is making lots of dough from the PAP. He sits on the 'independent' panel directing the WP's town council.

This dog is trying to protect the PAP and find a scapegoat to lay the blame.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously I don’t know anyone that got fired for not doing their job. Only get promoted instead like KT latha.

If u want an example of someone getting into trouble for not doing their job, here's an example below. In this case, getting fired from her job is the least of her concerns.

AHTC trial: Sylvia Lim admits to breaching rules by not calling tender
st_20181020_vnsylvia_4357990.jpg
Workers' Party chairman Sylvia Lim arriving at the Supreme Court yesterday. She said she had exercised her authority to act on behalf of the town council to waive the tender, "in circumstances of urgency".PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
PUBLISHED
OCT 20, 2018, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOKTWITTERWHATSAPPEMAIL

Davinder points out that this was done without discussing any special circumstances
Seow Bei Yi

Workers' Party (WP) chairman Sylvia Lim admitted yesterday that she had breached Town Councils Financial Rules when she failed to call a tender for managing agent services in 2011.
The Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC) had waived a tender for managing agent services provided by FM Solutions and Services (FMSS) to Hougang SMC in June 2011, which amounted to $92,000. The AHTC merger took place after the WP won Aljunied GRC in the May 2011 General Election.

Town council rules stipulate that tenders must be called for services that are estimated to cost more than $70,000, and should be waived only "under very special circumstances and must be fully justified".

During his cross-examination on day 11 of the hearing, Senior Counsel Davinder Singh asked Ms Lim if there was any discussion about waiving a tender for services by FMSS following its June 2 proposal about providing managing agent services.
"No," Ms Lim replied.
"So, being aware, as you claimed this morning, of the town council rules, you disregarded them. You breached them. Right?" he asked.

Ms Lim said she had exercised her authority to act on behalf of the town council to waive the tender, "in circumstances of urgency".
colin-ahtc2-19.jpg

But Mr Singh noted that there was no discussion of the urgency or circumstances of that period in Ms Lim's affidavit, "nothing in (former Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang's), nothing in the elected MPs' affidavits."

There was nothing on record about a waiver as of mid-June 2011, said Mr Singh, who asked Ms Lim if she agreed that was a breach.
"I have to agree, technically, yes." Ms Lim replied.
"Technically?" Mr Singh asked, repeating his question.

"On this date, I agree, yes," Ms Lim said, later adding that the date would have been around June 15.

Mr Singh later asked Ms Lim if it was correct that anyone who knew about the rules would know there was a breach, to which she said yes.

He then asked her who else among the elected WP MPs knew about the matter.
"I cannot remember distinctly but I believe Mr Low knew and I believe the other MPs also knew," she replied.
The Aljunied GRC MP is one of eight defendants in a multimillion-dollar civil suit to recover alleged improper payments.
Mr Singh also charged that FMSS was hired as AHTC's managing agent "under the cover of darkness" in 2011 to avoid calling for an open tender.

He noted that Ms Lim did not tell the other AHTC town councillors about the incorporation of FMSS at a meeting on June 9, 2011, at which she was given the authority to act for the town council. Neither did Ms Lim say that FMSS would be appointed without a tender to take over from incumbent managing agent CPG Facilities Management.
Mr Singh made the case that Ms Lim and the other WP MPs had decided not to tell the others about FMSS, so it could be appointed without questions.
Ms Lim disagreed.

Mr Singh later asked why a June 2 proposal by FMSS was circulated only to the elected MPs but not the other appointed councillors.

Ms Lim said she could not recall the date it reached the rest, and that the need to send them the FMSS proposal was superseded by the delegation of authority to her. She added that they did so, trusting her to make decisions accordingly.

Mr Singh said: "You did a dirty on your own town councillors."
She replied: "I disagree totally."
Mr Singh also asked Ms Lim why AHTC retained CPG's services for essential maintenance, but chose to release it as managing agent.

She had earlier suggested there was ground feedback against CPG and that, as it was "committed" to the People's Action Party cause, the opposition MPs might not be able to predict its behaviour.

Mr Singh noted that essential maintenance services would need to be carried out by a reliable company, and Ms Lim agreed. He made the point that if she was content to use CPG for some projects also beyond August 2011, when its contract would end, it meant her argument that there were complaints from the ground against CPG and that it could not be trusted, was "utter rubbish" and "all made up".

He also said the WP-led town council wanted CPG out so FMSS could come in, but at the same time wanted to take advantage of CPG's services.
Ms Lim disagreed, saying the projects were in advanced stages. She also said it was CPG that had suggested that it would continue.

"We agreed that it was reasonable," she said. "They did not ask to be relieved of all their projects."

Against claims that she wanted to have her cake and eat it too, Ms Lim replied: "That's very creative, Mr Singh, but that's not what it is."