• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pls Raise GST to 8.5%

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
To raise to 8.5% and give free transport to everyone.

1) The poor will be affected most with this 8.5% GST rather than the rich.

If you have not noticed, the low-income grp are alr affected by the 7%, and bless them coz they are adapting via buying their daily food stuff from small local provision enterprise.
Go read their justification when they first raise from 0-3% & 3%-7%, according to them the rich will be most affected, followed by middle-income grp.

2) Who is benefitting from this free transport when we also have a lot of foreign workers and students taking public transport?
Wats wrong with that? In fact, We could attract more tourist to spent here jus by being the word's first free public tranportation nation.

3) Places which have been absorbing GST will no longer do that with this increase.
You mean NTUC? 2 words - wayang only

4) Products moving across a few hands will have a big impact thus increasing inflation in this country
Wrong, currency manipulation creates the biggest inflation in this country.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
So dat we get free transportation for life.

Lets pose this challenge to dat dimwit millionaire. Folks look at it this way:

1) its the only way to stop them from increasing fares.(If they cap at 8.5%)
2) Consider the fact that you have kids and your extended family taking public transport. (It will be of great savings) I myself spent like $200 a month on bus and MRT.
3) GST will go up anyways, they wll come up with some lame reason like helping the poor....again.
4) We can have unlimited rides, you can sell your car ! helps you save $$ on ERP and lower your carbon footprint & so on...
5) For the heck of pissing them off : )

Some one should just write to forum and for the first time ask for an increase in taxes coz it benefit the populace. BTW 1.5% is not much i think...could some finance whizkid work dat out ?

Who will benefit most if public transport is free, those who work here, remit most of their earnings home and spend very little here is Singapore. So in the end the FT will benefit more than our hardworking singaporean who had served NS

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if he wants to raise it, who is suggesting this raise right now?

Anyway, at this point of time, raising the GST is absolutely wrong when the economy is not doing well.

Fox, look around you, all central banks in the world are printing money for stimulus package turning around to issue treasuries for those printed monies, the US treasuries are sold to China, Korea, Singapore and Japan. We hold their useless debt. Guess what happens if the US dollars tank?

Dats rite, INFLATION ! and if I may add, HyperInflation. This will set off a series of events to come in 2009. Get ready.

With our dear leaders clueless of wats coming, we still hold on to their debt. These worthless paper monies will create a huge hole in our reserves, knowing these keynesian trained scholars they will "do whatever it takes" quote helicopter Ben of US FED, to prop up the economy via money creation, which is detrimental to our value of money needless to say.

You see these uncreative MIW will follow keynesian textbooks to the point. they will attempt to balance the buget eventually via MORE TAXES. Which brings me to the point of GST increases. EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN. They will impose many form of 'hidden taxes' next year. For example:

The recent recruitment drive by WKS will see more cops and coupon aunties on our street to increase their revenue on fines. Expect the rolling out of island-wide ERP in 2009. Expect food cost to rise coz we import almost all our food stuff. And as Ben Benake admited in congress: " Inflation is a form of tax"

So Fox, whether you like it or not, EXPECT "TAX" INCREASES in 2009.

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who will benefit most if public transport is free, those who work here, remit most of their earnings home and spend very little here is Singapore. So in the end the FT will benefit more than our hardworking singaporean who had served NS

They would have to contribute to GST in their living expenses here, indirectly paying for free transportation.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
So dat we get free transportation for life.

Lets pose this challenge to dat dimwit millionaire. Folks look at it this way:

1) its the only way to stop them from increasing fares.(If they cap at 8.5%)
2) Consider the fact that you have kids and your extended family taking public transport. (It will be of great savings) I myself spent like $200 a month on bus and MRT.
3) GST will go up anyways, they wll come up with some lame reason like helping the poor....again.
4) We can have unlimited rides, you can sell your car ! helps you save $$ on ERP and lower your carbon footprint & so on...
5) For the heck of pissing them off : )

Some one should just write to forum and for the first time ask for an increase in taxes coz it benefit the populace. BTW 1.5% is not much i think...could some finance whizkid work dat out ?

I agree. If transport is free, Singaporeans can take a bus even for one bus stop's distance. That will amount to quite a lot - provided GST stays at 8.5%.

The PAP may raise GST to 20% by saying that they realised the 8.5% was not enough to cover public transport, or some crap excuses.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fox, look around you, all central banks in the world are printing money for stimulus package turning around to issue treasuries for those printed monies, the US treasuries are sold to China, Korea, Singapore and Japan. We hold their useless debt. Guess what happens if the US dollars tank?

Dats rite, INFLATION ! and if I may add, HyperInflation. This will set off a series of events to come in 2009. Get ready.

So Fox, whether you like it or not, EXPECT "TAX" INCREASES in 2009.

No govt will increase tax when the economy is not doing well. They only do that when the country is having growth. At this point of time till 3rd quarter of 2009, we should be quite safe from any increase in GST. :wink:

And back to ur situation on free transport, yes, it benefits Singaporeans, but it also benefits a lot of foreigners and the purpose of providing free transport shouldn't

Having free transport may cripple the taxi industry and more people will "abuse" the free transport. Even the projected 1.5% increase in GST may not even be enough with the sudden up surge in people taking public free transport. Revenue will be lost in ERP, road taxes (less people driving), more carriages needed, and expansion of station plans and by then there will come another reason to increase by another 3/4 or 1% percent point.

Andromedans

Alfrescian
Loyal
No govt will increase tax when the economy is not doing well. They only do that when the country is having growth. At this point of time till 3rd quarter of 2009, we should be quite safe from any increase in GST. :wink:
You have selectively crop my point in your quote regarding my reasons for possible "tax" increases. Your "No Govt will increase tax whilst economy is poor" statement is open in our context, we will hav to wait and seen, btw, russia is raising taxes on employers.

And back to ur situation on free transport, yes, it benefits Singaporeans, but it also benefits a lot of foreigners and the purpose of providing free transport shouldn't

Read my earlier post

Having free transport may cripple the taxi industry and more people will "abuse" the free transport. Even the projected 1.5% increase in GST may not even be enough with the sudden up surge in people taking public free transport. Revenue will be lost in ERP, road taxes (less people driving), more carriages needed, and expansion of station plans and by then there will come another reason to increase by another 3/4 or 1% percent point.

As I said, 8.5% cap, Hope they are dumb enough to take this challenge hook, sinker and line, which will devastate their revenue stream.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No govt will increase tax when the economy is not doing well. They only do that when the country is having growth. At this point of time till 3rd quarter of 2009, we should be quite safe from any increase in GST. ...
gt grand xcuse now ...

increase gst 2 provide free transport 2 help ze poor n ze needy ...

... Even the projected 1.5% increase in GST may not even be enough with the sudden up surge in people taking public free transport. Revenue will be lost in ERP, road taxes (less people driving), more carriages needed, and expansion of station plans and by then there will come another reason to increase by another 3/4 or 1% percent point.

u mean wat? ... wen he said increase gst 2 8.5% can gif free transport is oso utter rubbish? ... never do homework n juz anyhow tok cok? ...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Rich all normally buy from places with GST. It might not hurt them but they still pay more.

2. Who cares? It's free! That money can turn to spending power hence good for the economy.

3. You mean they don't secretly jack up their prices to include the GST and tell you they absorb it? Please wake up.

4. GST is going to increase regardless. You rather have an increase with free transportation or with some lame excuse?

Money will be spent less on infrastructure since a lot of people will give up their cars. With less cars, we don't need to spend huge amount of money on those expensive tunnels like KPE etc. Where you think the money comes from?

What I have said is GST increase affects the poor more than the rich. The rich when they do business, they can claim GST relief. The poor being the end consumer will be the one suffering more on this increase.

There is no free lunch in this world. You want have free transport?

You count your sums, and you think you are at the better end of the stick, but the govt is not stupid to do something which has no gain for them. Their gain is your loss.
Nothing is going be free in this world.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
gt grand xcuse now ...

increase gst 2 provide free transport 2 help ze poor n ze needy ...

u mean wat? ... wen he said increase gst 2 8.5% can gif free transport is oso utter rubbish? ... never do homework n juz anyhow tok cok? ...

It's just fore-casting and their projection. Remember, projection can be re-adjusted with all sort of reasons and by then if they want increase by another 0.5-1%, can you tell them we don't want free transport anymore, just reduce GST.