• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Plight of self-employed – You owe CPF, you lose license. What logic is this?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Plight of self-employed – You owe CPF, you lose license[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
May 28th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

Recently when I was in a taxi I just got reminded of this stupid system which I believe has been in practice for many years. The uncle told me if you owe CPF Medisave Account you will not be allowed to apply for or renew licenses such as taxi license or hawker license.

Taxi drivers have to ensure their Medisave Accounts are in order before they are allowed to renew their licenses.

He was la
menting that his license which is due for renewal will not be renewed unless he pays up what he “owes” Medisave. In the first place I don’t understand how self-employed people can be deemed to owe CPF as they did not borrow any money in the first place. He has been appealing and so far he has been unsuccessful. They even rejected his suggestion to allow him to top up in installments. He even tried to suggest if he can have some money transferred from his wife’s (next of kin) account which has surplus in all accounts and was also told not possible. This is also strange as we are allowed to use our CPF to pay for next of kin medical bills, but not allowed to transfer into next of kin Medisave Account???

I shared with him my first hand experience of this 8 years ago when I was unemployed for a period, LTA rejected my taxi license application stating that I owed Medisave a few hundred dollars. I tried to explain to the officer there that I had been unemployed for many months and that is the reason why I am applying for a taxi license and that after driving taxi I may be able to earn money to top up my Medisave. It didn’t matter to that officer who simply told me that is the rule.

How in the world denying these people license to operate is going to help the situation? Most self-employed people usually have difficulties managing day to day expenses and they may truly not be able to top up their Medisave Accounts. Why is this linked and who has given these ministries and departments like LTA and NEA the authority to deny people licenses based on the level of Medisave contributions. This is like blackmailing or maybe worse.

Can somebody please explain to me the logic if I am dumb enough to miss something???

I promised the taxi-uncle that I will write about his plight here and hope you can publish it.

Self-employed

* Submitted by TRE reader.

SadPlumpGal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there should be some flexibility to manage case-by-case basis.

But the general principle is sound.

Many people, despite having low income, spend money smoking and drinking, and the complain no end.

One pack of cigarettes a day - $300 a month plus two beers $450 = $750

That's $9,000 a year.

And then there are those who are dumbfucked enough to be conned by the fox spirits

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a self-employed taxpayer in Singapore ,he has to file his annual tax return to IRAS showing the net trade income and he has to pay his annual CPF medisave contribution based on X% of net trade income.If he does not pay his annual CPF medisave contribution,he will not be allowed to apply or renew his business licence eg taxi licence or hawker licence.
If he has no income ,he also has to file his annual tax return to IRAS showing zero income.If he Did Not file his annual tax return of zero income,IRAS will assess his estimated net trade income eg $6,000.00 per annum and his estimated annual CPF medisave contribution will be computed based on X% of his estimated net trade income.So when he is unemployed or not doing any business and without any income,he will still be owing the estimated annual CPF medisave contribution to the CPF Board .

god_zeus

Alfrescian
Loyal
people rather smoke and drink that to pay PAP even 1 cent

I think there should be some flexibility to manage case-by-case basis.

But the general principle is sound.

Many people, despite having low income, spend money smoking and drinking, and the complain no end.

One pack of cigarettes a day - $300 a month plus two beers $450 = $750

That's $9,000 a year.

And then there are those who are dumbfucked enough to be conned by the fox spirits