• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Planning to get Sony Nex 7 Mirrorless Camera..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
all the great camera pros here... thank you so much..

so i will get these to pretty much start off for a beginner like me:

the sony NEX 7 body comes with this lens:

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
sony-18-55mm-f3.5-5.6_front_small.jpg

and i will get this for my 2nd lens.
24mm f/1.8 E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar
sony-24mm-f1.8-e-mount-carl-zeiss-sonnar_front_small.jpg

after getting more experience with the camera:
i will get this
DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
sony-dt-18-200mm-f3.5-6.3_front_small.jpg

My photos are for travelling shots and food shots for a start. learning to use photoshop to fine tune the photos.

so the pros here, are these lens good enough for a beginner like me?

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
24mm F1.8 = Can take in more light, wider view, good for shooting food
35mm F2.8 = Good for general shoot, group shot

Don't really understand what you mean by wider view. it can view more area? if it is good for shooting food, it means it focus on the food itself but not the background. My understanding of wider area is that the whole area including the background is in sharp focus. F1.8 does not seem to do that.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My understanding of wider area is that the whole area including the background is in sharp focus. F1.8 does not seem to do that.

If you want to increase your depth of field, you need to stop down to F16 or greater and use a slower shutter speed. However, when you do that you'll need a camera support or camera shake will cause motion blur and the whole image will lose sharpness.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you want to increase your depth of field, you need to stop down to F16 or greater and use a slower shutter speed. However, when you do that you'll need a camera support or camera shake will cause motion blur and the whole image will lose sharpness.

Boss, you mean F1.6, is it?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't really understand what you mean by wider view. it can view more area? if it is good for shooting food, it means it focus on the food itself but not the background. My understanding of wider area is that the whole area including the background is in sharp focus. F1.8 does not seem to do that.
Meaning you have wider view in your camera screen, so you can move your camera front and back to crop the food, if your lenses is 40mm and above, your camera screen view will be very tight, you yourself have to move back to get a full view of the food.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss, you mean F1.6, is it?

If you have an F1.8 lens, there is no 1.6. :p The aperture range will be F1.8 to F22.

The mid aperture range F8 to F11 is usually the sweet spot for most lenses. However, if you want max depth of field, F16 to F22 is the aperture range that ensures that both foreground and background are in focus for a 24mm lens.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Meaning you have wider view in your camera screen, so you can move your camera front and back to crop the food, if your lenses is 40mm and above, your camera screen view will be very tight, you yourself have to move back to get a full view of the food.

oh i see.. thank you Mr Pro.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you have an F1.8 lens, there is no 1.6. :p The aperture range will be F1.8 to F22.

The mid aperture range F8 to F11 is usually the sweet spot for most lenses. However, if you want max depth of field, F16 to F22 is the aperture range that ensures that both foreground and background are in focus for a 24mm lens.

oh so ... when the lens stated that it is a F1.8, it also means there is a range of F1.8 to F22. I thought it is a fixed F1.8 only.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
oh so ... when the lens stated that it is a F1.8, it also means there is a range of F1.8 to F22. I thought it is a fixed F1.8 only.

All lenses have a range of F stops. An F1.8 lens is one where the widest aperture (aperture full open) is F1.8.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
all the great camera pros here... thank you so much..

so i will get these to pretty much start off for a beginner like me:

the sony NEX 7 body comes with this lens:

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
sony-18-55mm-f3.5-5.6_front_small.jpg

and i will get this for my 2nd lens.
24mm f/1.8 E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar
sony-24mm-f1.8-e-mount-carl-zeiss-sonnar_front_small.jpg

after getting more experience with the camera:
i will get this
DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
sony-dt-18-200mm-f3.5-6.3_front_small.jpg

My photos are for travelling shots and food shots for a start. learning to use photoshop to fine tune the photos.

so the pros here, are these lens good enough for a beginner like me?

Looking at Sony Nex whole range of lenses.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lense would probably your kit lens, meaning comes with the camera as a package. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is the cheapest lenses, you wont use it often. 24mm f/1.8 is a prime lens, but so long and expensive.

I suggest you get 20mm f/2.8 pancake, it is very versatile for travelling (scenery) and fooding, I went to Taiwan with just my 20mm f/1.7 lumix lens. From there, then you decide what you want to shoot more, scenery/buildings or portrait.

If you choose portrait: go for 50mm f/1.8
If you choose scenery: go for 10-18mm f/4

Zoom lenses is the last thing you should get cox you will seldom use it, cox its big and bad at shooting at night.
Get your 3rd choice 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Looking at Sony Nex whole range of lenses.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lense would probably your kit lens, meaning comes with the camera as a package. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is the cheapest lenses, you wont use it often. 24mm f/1.8 is a prime lens, but so long and expensive.

I suggest you get 20mm f/2.8 pancake, it is very versatile for travelling (scenery) and fooding, I went to Taiwan with just my 20mm f/1.7 lumix lens. From there, then you decide what you want to shoot more, scenery/buildings or portrait.

If you choose portrait: go for 50mm f/1.8
If you choose scenery: go for 10-18mm f/4

Zoom lenses is the last thing you should get cox you will seldom use it, cox its big and bad at shooting at night.
Get your 3rd choice 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3

http://lenshero.com/lenses/sony-nex-7-lens

these are the nex 7 lenses.

the closest one is the 16mm f/2.8

sony-16mm-f2.8_front_small.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Hey, you talkcock so much, my question to you is - 有影無?

[video=youtube;vQBMrkL1orI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQBMrkL1orI[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A review of 24mm f/1.8 E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1452

SLRgear Review
November 10, 2011
by Andrew Alexander

Sony has had a long history of collaboration with Carl Zeiss, and the 24mm ƒ/1.8 Sonnar T* ZA is just the latest in a long line of lenses manufactured according to Zeiss specifications. The lens was designed for the E-mount of the NEX series of camera, and will provide an equivalent field of view of 36mm.

The lens takes 49mm filters, comes with a petal-shaped lens hood, and is slated for delivery to dealers in December of 2011, for an approximate retail price of $1,000.

Sharpness
The Sony 24mm ƒ/1.8 is very sharp indeed, even when used wide open at ƒ/1.8. It's not tack-sharp corner-to-corner at that aperture, but it offers a large area of central sharpness with only light corner softness. Stopping down doesn't provide much improvement until you hit ƒ/2.8, and corner sharpness improves dramatically; maximal sharpness is achieved at ƒ/4, where it's not quite tack-sharp, but for most purposes, it's close enough. Sharpness actually drops off slightly at ƒ/5.6 and smaller, but there's no noticeable impact until ƒ/11. The lens can stop down as small as ƒ/22, where overall image sharpness is somewhat degraded.

Chromatic Aberration
There is some very light chromatic aberration present in images shot with the 24mm ƒ/1.8. It's visible as fringing in areas of high contrast: in the corners, this fringing is magenta in color, while in the central region of the frame, it's blue in color. It's more or less consistent regardless of the aperture selected.

Shading (''Vignetting'')
Light falloff really isn't in an issue with this lens, with the worst effect showing corners that are 1/3 EV darker than the center, at ƒ/1.8.

Distortion
Usually, we see barrel distortion in wide-angle lenses, but in this case there's actually some prominent pincushion distortion: -0.5% in the corners.

Autofocus Operation
The 24mm ƒ/1.8 uses an in-lens motor for autofocus, which is quick and near-silent. The front element does not rotate during focusing operations, making life that little bit easier for polarizer users.

Macro
Offering 0.25x magnification, the 24mm ƒ/1.8 offers better-than-expected macro performance, with a minimum focusing distance of just 6 inches (16cm).

Build Quality and Handling
The Sony 24mm ƒ/1.8 Sonnar T* ZA is a quality lens, nicely finished in a matte black finish. The lens feels very sturdy and fairly heavy, weighing in at 8oz: it's worth noting that the NEX-7 weighs just over 12oz, so for the camera platform it provides, this is a very light combination. The lens has only one control on it, the manual focus ring. The lens uses a metal body mount, and plastic 49mm filter threads. There is no depth-of-field scale, distance scale or infrared index.

The focusing ring rests in the middle of the lens and is about 3/4'' wide - it feels like plastic, and is very smooth but quite tactile, making manual focus easy. The focus ring has a very smooth operation, and will stay where it is set. The NEX series of camera uses a fly-by-wire design, so there's no direct connection between the rotation of the focusing ring and the amount of focusing done; consequently, there are no stops, hard or otherwise, at the close-focusing and infinity end of the lens.

The ALC-SH114 lens hood is included with the lens. It is a petal-shaped hood with a matte black interior that attaches with a bayonet mount; what is unique here is that bayonet mount is recessed inside the lens barrel. The hood stores reversed on the lens when not in use. When attached, the hood adds a little less than 1 3/4'' of length to the lens.

Alternatives

The E-mount being a fairly new system, there aren't many alternatives to choose from here.

Sony 24mm ƒ/2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* ~$1,250
One can only imagine that this lens is the inspiration for the new E-mount 24mm ƒ/1.8; we haven't yet tested this lens, but it is compatible with the NEX series of camera by using the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 adapter.

Sigma 24mm ƒ/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro ~$550
Sigma produces the 24mm ƒ/1.8 in a Sony alpha mount, so with the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 adapter, it could be mounted on a NEX camera. In our testing, the lens didn't produce exceptionally sharp results (there was some pretty impressive corner softness) and chromatic aberration was quite high. But it is half the price of the Sony 24mm ƒ/1.8.

Conclusion
Considering the price, you would hope that the Sony 24mm ƒ/1.8 Sonnar T* ZA didn't disappoint - and happily, it doesn't. Sharpness is excellent even wide open, and other factors such as chromatic aberration, distortion and corner shading are well-controlled. The 24mm ƒ/1.8 proves to be an able companion to the NEX camera.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That was not what AK meant. What AK meant by wider view was a picture covering more area, right to left and up to down, a larger angle of view so to say. He was commenting on the 24mm focal length which gives a wider view, nothing directly to do with the F number. This is different from what you interpreted and, in most common lens configurations, in direct opposition to what you interpreted. What you interpreted was a larger depth of field with background and foreground more or less all in focus. Like Leongsam said, you need to stop down your aperture with the iris control or you can do with a cheaper higher F number lens because you are not going to use the wider aperture anyway except under dim light and without flash. For a beginner suggest just go with the starter zoom kit and have slightly larger aperture and low F like f1.8 prime lens for low light shots. 24mm should be appropriate, slightly on the wide side. Good for landscape and general night shots without ASA going too high.

Last edited: