• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Pizza restaurant charging $15 to cut birthday cake sparks debate

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food blogger's post about pizza restaurant charging $15 to cut birthday cake sparks debate

cakemain.jpg

We have all heard of a corkage fee understandably imposed by some restaurants, where you bring your own wine and pay for it to be opened and served to you.
But what about a 'cakeage fee'?
Food blogger and owner of ieatishootipost Dr Leslie Tay shared how a pizza restaurant that he visited for dinner had wanted to charge $15 to cut a birthday cake on its premises.
In a Facebook post on Dec 9, Dr Tay said he hoped that this "anti-celebratory" practice would not become the new norm in Singapore.

He wrote: "I was a guest at the celebration, so I only found out about the $15 charge when it was time to cut the cake. My hosts did not ask at the time of the reservation because we did cut a birthday cake there earlier in the year. They were informed when they handed the cake to the restaurant. Apparently, they started to imposed it in Sep.
"In the end, we took the cake home to cut, because the birthday girl just did not feel it’s worth $15 to cut a 600g cake. It did burst the bubble on an otherwise joyous occasion."
According to Channel NewsAsia, the food establishment in question was the Peperoni Pizzeria restaurant at Frankel Avenue in Katong.
Parent company of the Peperoni Pizzeria chain, Les Amis Group, confirmed the 'cakeage' fee and said it was rolled out at all Peperoni outlets in September.
Netizens are divided over Dr Tay's post.
Some found the extra fee "ridiculous" and unacceptable".

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you expect your birthday cake to be served on plates with crockery...then it's ok.

Most likely the restaurant also sells cake too.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the restaurant is right-as no outside food/drinks is normally allowed in eateries and usually there are signages to indicate that .
I hated it when you have birthday celebrations in an eatery in the open (that is not in a private room ) as the noise is very loud and deafening and other customers cannot eat in peace.
The good doctor is a medical practitioner but should know better after being a food blogger for many years.
He goes on to say that restaurants should signal " that they welcome birthday parties by even offering a free cake! "-Imagine people going to a restaurant , order only soft drinks and get a free cake and celebrate for a few hours, causing huge discomfort to other patrons.
For those who want to celebrate noisy low class sinkie birthdays -do it in a eatery with private rooms or at least can enclose/fence off the " private area"
If cannot afford a proper restaurant, do it in your void deck

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the restaurant is right-as no outside food/drinks is normally allowed in eateries and usually there are signages to indicate that .
I hated it when you have birthday celebrations in an eatery in the open (that is not in a private room ) as the noise is very loud and deafening and other customers cannot eat in peace.
The good doctor is a medical practitioner but should know better after being a food blogger for many years.
He goes on to say that restaurants should signal " that they welcome birthday parties by even offering a free cake! "-Imagine people going to a restaurant , order only soft drinks and get a free cake and celebrate for a few hours, causing huge discomfort to other patrons.
For those who want to celebrate noisy low class sinkie birthdays -do it in a eatery with private rooms or at least can enclose/fence off the " private area"
If cannot afford a proper restaurant, do it in your void deck
If the restaurant sells cakes then it makes sense to charge people who bring outside food when it's available in house.

Moreover I'm sure customers spend more during birthday celebrations. They should get the waiters to sing the birthday song during cake cutting.

Customer service is dead in this fucking country

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
"whats wrong with collecting more money? "

ngiam20tong20dow1.jpg

Enough of this phony "outspoken" and "independent thinker". Eunuch is the best word to describe him.

Always be wary of people who start with self-praise before talking on any topic.

"I'm a devout buddhist" Khaw

"I'm a commited christian" General ng...and many more!

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just take the cake out side shop and cut..
If the restaurant sells cakes then it makes sense to charge people who bring outside food when it's available in house.

Moreover I'm sure customers spend more during birthday celebrations. They should get the waiters to sing the birthday song during cake cutting.

Customer service is dead in this fucking country

Exactly, now I know why our Leeders all demand millions, fug the Cuntry and Service, self interest comes first.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Customers who bring in their own cakes tend to not order inhouse desserts. It's only fair that the customers compensate the restaurant for the loss in revenue.

jw5

Loyal
There are also restaurants which don't charge anything for cakes brought in, cut and consumed on their premises and even provide the knife and plates. Ultimately, let the customers decide which restaurants they want to RTE. (return-to-eat) :biggrin:

Customers who bring in their own cakes tend to not order inhouse desserts. It's only fair that the customers compensate the restaurant for the loss in revenue.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
pizza hut is a halal food joint, was the cake brought in halal certified?
why not impose a total banned of outside food regardless halal or not?