• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

pic taken one week before I discovered the cancer in my right breast

Tan Kim Kim

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://acleanbreast.wordpress.com/

dsc00306.jpg

Thanks for visiting my blog! I’m chuffed that “opening day” was a success!

Do leave me a comment okay? I know it’s a little not-so-comment friendly but the comment button is actually on the left column under the date (“Leave a comment”).

I had many emails and personal messages and SMSes today when the blog went public. I have to admit I was a little concerned if publicizing it would

a. Make people feel sorry for me, which is the last thing I want
b. Make people look at me weird the next time we meet, since they know I am now single-nippled (half a milkmaid, Barbie-doll like etc etc)

But from the messages I received, it seemed more like

a. Daughters of breast cancer patients, like me (my mom had breast cancer 2+1 times) were telling me their own stories, and appreciating the fact that a BC daughter was telling it like it is. Many times I wanted to talk to someone when I was 19 and just discovered my mom’s condition, but there wasn’t someone who understood the stark fear I was experiencing, a death sentence by heredity. I hope, judging from the response, that A Clean Breast will be a place for BC daughters (or sons, or husbands) to ask and discuss.

b. People were inspired by what God has done for me! That makes me happier than my kids on Free Ice Cream Day at Ben & Jerry’s. Comments poured in about how good God has been to me, that He has given me faith and courage to walk this road. Happy, happy, happy!

c. A few friends were surprised that I could be funny about my “condition”. Well… laughter is the best medicine (corny, but true). And for me, seeing the funny parts helps me cope with something that otherwise has the power to plunge me into depression. Good thing I am not a Crazy Horse dancer or a Pussycat Doll, for whom having both nipples is a job requirement.

I think most of all, I am encouraged by my friends sharing the message of this blog. I hope to get the message out to 1000 people in the next 2 months (SO PLEASE SUBSCRIBE! I’m working on adding Share buttons, I promise), the message that

a. Cancer kills, but you can kill it first if you can catch it first.

b. Breast cancer can hit someone in her 20s, or 40s (like me), not just women in their mid-50s or 60s, though it is true the risk grows the older you get. What I mean is, know your body. Do your breast self-exam after your periods. Try not to (be like me and) miss your mammograms. Be vigilant!

c. It’s really not that bad. I know mine’s a bit of a “cheat” because I don’t have to go for chemo, but I have friends who have had to go through chemotherapy, radiation therapy and hormone drugs like Tamoxifen for 5 years. Yet, they bravely did it, because they knew their time wasn’t up yet, that they still had a life to make a difference to the world. Those women are my heroes. I hope I can get some of them to share their stories.

Help me build this – send me your stories, share your comments, your experiences, your thoughts. If I die knowing that even ONE woman was helped by this blog, I will have lived a worthwhile life.

Theresa