• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People's Park Centre en bloc fails again. No takers

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such a nice iconic building, enbloc for what?

More frivolous demolishing and construction to pump up your fraudulent GDP? :rolleyes:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 70s, my mother used to bring me there to shop for my favourite HARA jeans before CNY. I can still remember the name of the shop on the second floor - "Pants Off". I wonder if it's still there today.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the 70s, my mother used to bring me there to shop for my favourite HARA jeans before CNY. I can still remember the name of the shop on the second floor - "Pants Off". I wonder if it's still there today.

Probably not. That place is now infested with Tiongs and related businesses e.g. Tiong travel agencies, Tiong remittance agencies.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably not. That place is now infested with Tiongs and related businesses e.g. Tiong travel agencies, Tiong remittance agencies.

Most of the travel agencies there especially those doing Tiongland travels have wound up during the Covid period.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
And stupid Mala hotpot , Sichuan etc food.
Not to mention it was once 69% infested with ATB cheekons.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a shop at the basement selling old Chinese cassettes and CDs from the 70s and 80s. I think it's still there.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long ago, New Bridge Rd was a two-way directional main roads.

In the 70s, the overhead bridge linking People's Park Complex and Temple Street was made of wooden planks. Can see the road below through the gaps. Very eerie.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was one of the few buildings which National Development Minister Teh Cheang Wan took bribes and he had to commit suicide when he got caught in 1986. He traveled to Jakarta to collect S$2m in cash. This building was developed by the owners of Miramar Hotel, the Lim family from Indonesia.

The other building I know of was the GB building at Cecil Street built by Guan Bee Construction Co. Teh's modus operandi was to award the land parcel to his cronies and not to the highest bidder.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember a lingerie shop there called "Panties Off" in a corner....

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a shop at the basement selling old Chinese cassettes and CDs from the 70s and 80s. I think it's still there.
I often hang out at the basement coffee shop and listen to his oldies.....nothing like a good cup of kopi and reminiscing the good old days of music.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I hope for the next round of en-bloc, the asking price will be further increased to $2 billion. It's such a good piece of real estate. The current owners deserve more money.

Peace Maker

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be a matter of time this old heritage building will be gone. Singapore is losing all its heritage history by demolishing all the old building especially the National Library. It so sad that every time I come back to Singapore, streets & buildings looked difference. No sense of belonging anymore. If you look at Chinatowns in San Francisco, LA, New York, Montreal, Toronto, KL, and Bangkok the old memories remained.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope for the next round of en-bloc, the asking price will be further increased to $2 billion. It's such a good piece of real estate. The current owners deserve more money.

Even Far East and CDL don't want to commit at $1.8B.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be a matter of time this old heritage building will be gone. Singapore is losing all its heritage history by demolishing all the old building especially the National Library. It so sad that every time I come back to Singapore, streets & buildings looked difference. No sense of belonging anymore. If you look at Chinatowns in San Francisco, LA, New York, Montreal, Toronto, KL, and Bangkok the old memories remained.

I missed the NL at Stamford Rd too.
There was a small food centre.
The indian rojak was very good.
Wonder where they had moved to.