• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People who ride bicycles to work are happy folk.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why people who ride bicycles to work are a happy lot.
(Re: Fare hike, breakdowns are inseparable)
The Straits Times, Published on Jan 22, 2014
Fare hike, breakdowns are inseparable
I DISAGREE with Public Transport Council chairman Gerard Ee's assertion that public transport fare hikes and service reliability are separate issues ("Fair hike and breakdowns are separate issues: PTC"; yesterday).
In any transport business, fare increases would not go down well with customers if there are frequent breakdowns and unreliable service.
For example, if an airline were to announce a fare increase, yet experience frequent breakdowns causing flight delays, would its management say the two issues are separate?
In a competitive market, I am sure the airline would refrain from raising fares and instead focus on improving its service, even at a loss.
The Public Transport Council cannot treat listed public transport operators both as "public" organisations providing essential transport services and as private entities requiring regular fare increases to sustain their operations and ensure their profitability.
Public transport operators should admit that frequent breakdowns are not acceptable, and strive towards providing efficient and timely service.
Paul Chan Poh Hoi
Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Fare hike, breakdowns are inseparable
Perhaps one reason for the angst about MRT being expensive/ breaking down is because our roads have effectively discounted the only viable affordable, healthy alternative available to man- the humble bicycle, and the MRT (made in 1980s) is ill-designed for the excessively heavy usage today: more and fatter crowd and higher frequencies= higher payload aggravating wear factors= more serious and frequent friction wear= more lose parts/ frequent breakdowns/ more frequent/ & costly replacement work- impossible due to short downtime between normal operating hours. Sorry Singapore, U have progressed so fast, even the MRT trains cannot keep up....

Cyclist are happy when air isn't too polluted, happy cos get exposed to some sun, maybe some rain- being one with nature is a humbling, priceless experience, happy cos fitness improves and exercise makes people smart, happy cos don't cause air pollution, happy cos wind in hair is freedom, happy cos exercise builds strong bones, happy cos exercise makes one feel refreshed for work, happy cos no exorbitant fuel/ parking charge, happy cos independence from fossil fuels price volality, happy cos no need road tax/ERP and traffic jams means can weave in and out, happy cos body more toned, good for finding spouse, better sex, better relationship with spouse/ passing NS IPPT, no need to worry if train breakdown, less medical bills for high blood pressure/ diabetes/ cholesterol, no need to rush after work for NS RT(for fail IPPT), happy cos after exercise can get good sleep, happy cos other peoples will be so impressed with Singaporean clean and healthy lifestyles that they also want to come to Singapore to check it out......now if only the Singapore government can see the long term benifits....
bicyclists-riding-in-new-york-city-streets.jpg
(IMG Source)

Last edited:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bicycle or rebuilding the whole MRT system, which one is easier?

My response at another site...

Bicycle or rebuilding the whole MRT system, which one is easier?
hfourhappy said:
Re (A1forum) : People who ride bicycles to work are happy folk
Frankly speaking, riding bicycle to work is very dangerous.
Spore motorists very impatient and rude.
So, not advisable to ride to work.
Last time, I use to ride to work, but very very dangerous.
Not worth it.
Don't disagree, for Singapore roads, one needs some skill (and lots of patience) to ride safely, but don't think it is more dangerous compared to motorcycle, as long as U know the route and are prepared for traffic.

Think ultimate losers are the motorist who will have to pay ever increasing COE for diminishing slots as more space on roads and funds are channelled to public transport interest. SMRT will cost increasing more to run as high fees are paid to optimise train frequencies and even higher fees are paid for the maintenance of an aging, inadequate system, most probably not suited to withstand such high train payloads let alone high frequencies (heavier payloads means more wear on moving parts), increasing prevalence of obesity will also increase public transport government subsidy since wear and tear is also payload based.

More ambulance journeys by sick (and obese) and foreign worker uprisings will also mean more bus lanes being designated to facilitate prioritised travel by emergency public service vehicles, so fewer COEs and higher ERP can be expected: both to facilitate smooth traffic, as well as a source of public healthcare subvention.

So putting all together, Singapore might have no choice but to adopt cycling/ electric bicycles (more accessible exercise options) as a cleaner and healthier way forward, the only other alternative being to dismantle and reassemble the entire MRT system to cope with an increasing payload, both in weight and in number- (introduce longer and fatter trains along the old route)- which we all know, is near impossible.

UrBaby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cycling is good but there are too many weird mentality F motorist on the road.
Don't be too happy cyclists, it seems they want cyclist to get license soon & insurance too. MORE$$$ huat ah!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only in Denmark and European cities with cycling culture.

Bicycle-snow.jpg

Ministers and CEOs alike ride bicycles too.

bicycle-in-copenhagen.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Only in Denmark and European cities with cycling culture.

When I was a kid, Singapore had a cycling culture too and it was for this reason that Nicoll Highway was designed with a cycle path both ways. You can see it in the photo below between the road and the pedestrian path.

However, Singaporeans rejected this cheap and healthy form of transport and the policy of providing bike paths was discarded in the name of "progress".

merdeka-bridge.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D414

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2455699709_b221c07bca_z.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D427

Once the definitive bicycle city,
Beijing is responding to growing congestion and ongoing smog by setting a new target:
for 23% of commuters to pedal to work by 2015.
To achieve this target, new infrastructure for cyclists is to be wheeled in,
with improved bicycle lanes, more parking facilities
and a rental scheme to put a further 50,000 bikes on the roads by 2015.

Not happy, just necessary.

cyclist-blog480.jpg

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was a kid, Singapore had a cycling culture too and it was for this reason that Nicoll Highway was designed with a cycle path both ways. You can see it in the photo below between the road and the pedestrian path.

However, Singaporeans rejected this cheap and healthy form of transport and the policy of providing bike paths was discarded in the name of "progress".

merdeka-bridge.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D414

Notice the beautiful deep blue skies in that 60s image of Nicoll Highway. Singapore was the best place in the world then.

I am more amazed by the lack of traffic. I think when progress is too fast, people get overwhelmed with nostalgia and you lose too much too quickly.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Notice the beautiful deep blue skies in that 60s image of Nicoll Highway. Singapore was the best place in the world then.

Bring back memory of . Colonial . Singapore.

Merdeka bridge before conversion to a 7-lane road, with the 3 middle lanes changing diections to serve peak hours traffic.

One end of .nicoll highway. Is Singapore, the other end is Kallang airport.

Then the airport moved to Paya Lebar.

I remembered my late dad telling me how Mountbatten Rd traffic lights stop for airplanes taking off/landing.

Singapore had the best deal under the Brits, Kallang airport was the best modern airport in the world at one stage, serving both airplanes and seaplanes (Kallang basin. That was before the war.

I am more amazed by the lack of traffic. I think when progress is too fast, people get overwhelmed with nostalgia and you lose too much too quickly.

A lot of Singapore history is lost to the younger generation. These are the strings that tie the places to the people. Now, with so many foreigners around, how do true blue Singaporeans keep their identities with so many changes. Has the sacrifices been worth it.

Pity Shanghai for following Singapore. That city is too boring now.

Last edited:

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore had the best deal under the Brits, Kallang airport was the best modern airport in the world at one stage, serving both airplanes and seaplanes (Kallang basin. That was before the war.

I remember singing with pride "God save the Queen" with more joy and happiness than the singing of Muckjula Stinkapura, knowing now that as I sang that hideous Muckjular Stinkapura, smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY was stealing my country from under my feet and bringing in foreign trash as the 3rd class citizens displacing us aboriginal singaporeans into 4th class dwellers hold at ransom to be fucked and tiewed by LKY and PAP and insulted by the foreign trash that they brought in.