• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People can still die from COVID-19 even if vaccinated and has no underlying medical conditions

JustOneSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bhai,

My appt is next week.

2nd vaxx.jpg

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How often do you see an above 60 year old who does not have an underlying medical condition -meaning in perfect health ?
I have yet to meet one but have any of you met one? On the contrary, a medical personnel told me that most above 60 have at least 2 underlying conditions.
Even if the person above 60 claimed to be in perfect health, he may have a medical condition without knowing it .
So for anyone above 60, the ready made excuse is already there for them=died due to underlying medical condition

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How often do you see an above 60 year old who does not have an underlying medical condition -meaning in perfect health ?
I have yet to meet one but have any of you met one? On the contrary, a medical personnel told me most have at least 2 underlying conditions.
Even if the person above 60 claimed to be in perfect health, he may have a medical condition without knowing it .
So for anyone above 60, the ready made excuse is already there for them=died due to underlying medical condition

Over 60s have an underlying condition that is always fatal. It's called old age.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have yet to meet one but have any of you met one? On the contrary, a medical personnel told me that most above 60 have at least 2 underlying conditions.
For a start, hypertension is surely one. Old age = weaker heart, narrower arteries and less elastic blood vessels. Thats how humans are designed. So by default, above 60= got underlying medical conditions.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I 've said before. Whether you are vaccinated or not, it does not matter if you have underlying medical condition. There is a high chance that you will get seriously sick and die if you contract the Delta virus.

People think that the Delta virus is only more transmissible. In fact, it is not only more transmissible , it is also more deadly than the previous virus.

It is proven now even for those who are vaccinated with no underlying medical conditions, they can also get seriously sick and die.

I am not against re-opening up, but I am against rushing to open up without have done the due diligence on the impact of the Delta virus. I am for opening in phases when we have a good grasp of the Delta virus potency and transmission trajectory and implementing the appropriate measures to counteract against the virus spread trajectory. I think the high rate of vaccination has created a false sense of confidence in that it was thought to be able to keep the mortality rate very low. However, we still do not know if the vaccines has the same efficacy against the Delta variant.

Now, I think it is a little late to bring down the infection and death rate. We have to quickly adjust and consider damage control. If not, the Delta virus will continue to spread and grow in leaps and bounds especially so in densely populated Singapore.
Insightful post.

Take HK's current data compared to ours. If i am not mistaken, HK has now gone 42-43 days without any local infection. This data figure is incredible considering HK's fully vaccinated rate is less than 70% at the moment and their health protocols are generally quite similar to ours.

So what gives? HK has been fortunate to prevent Delta from infecting its local community thus far. That is the fundamental difference between HK and Singapore. Turns out to be a huge massive difference.

On the way forward, think we have no choice but continue to push ahead and reopen because the livelihood and social costs are far higher than the risks of Delta.

No doubt the mrna vaccines might not be as effective with Delta but i suspect this might be more to do with the waning factor. Hence the boosters which are now even being applied to the 30 year old group and above up from the original oldie groups which was then expanded to the 50 years above group.

Also think we are in a much better position which possibly should get even better because science is not standing still while covid mutates. Merck's new antiviral shall help to effectively treat those infected so they will not get severly ill or die. Other antivirals are in the pipeline. So too more appropriate and effective vaccines.

Basically, public need to act responsibly as well while we learn to live with Delta and any other variants which sprout up later. Particularly those living in vulnerable households. Finding the right practical realistic balance. No doubt the death rate shall increase but if its somewhat similar to yearly flu death rate than this puts things in perspective and we just have to learn to live with it.

No point preventing Covid if the costs of the cure far outweighs the costs of the Covid infection.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
If 98.2% show no symptoms and are well, then why the fuck is there a need to make grand
announcements and scare people even more? Shows that they aren't confident of their strategy.

Imagine using the same old mrna vaccine on a virus that has successfully outsmarted, evaded
and mutated to become something altogether more virulent. Like using an ancient version of norton
on a new windows set-up.

Sucks to be a Leetard.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Insightful post.

Take HK's current data compared to ours. If i am not mistaken, HK has now gone 42-43 days without any local infection. This data figure is incredible considering HK's fully vaccinated rate is less than 70% at the moment and their health protocols are generally quite similar to ours.

So what gives? HK has been fortunate to prevent Delta from infecting its local community thus far. That is the fundamental difference between HK and Singapore. Turns out to be a huge massive difference.

On the way forward, think we have no choice but continue to push ahead and reopen because the livelihood and social costs are far higher than the risks of Delta.

No doubt the mrna vaccines might not be as effective with Delta but i suspect this might be more to do with the waning factor. Hence the boosters which are now even being applied to the 30 year old group and above up from the original oldie groups which was then expanded to the 50 years above group.

Also think we are in a much better position which possibly should get even better because science is not standing still while covid mutates. Merck's new antiviral shall help to effectively treat those infected so they will not get severly ill or die. Other antivirals are in the pipeline. So too more appropriate and effective vaccines.

Basically, public need to act responsibly as well while we learn to live with Delta and any other variants which sprout up later. Particularly those living in vulnerable households. Finding the right practical realistic balance. No doubt the death rate shall increase but if its somewhat similar to yearly flu death rate than this puts things in perspective and we just have to learn to live with it.

No point preventing Covid if the costs of the cure far outweighs the costs of the Covid infection.
Good sensible post. :thumbsup:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
85% have hurt immunity. We are immune to nonsense dishes out by PAP. It’s fucking disgraceful that mudland has now 90% vax rate whereas we are still 85%.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why look at shithole cases? Young reporter in aussieland got swollen heart from pfizer. Permanent damage worse than virus

Patriotmissile

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have to look at those numbers against the total population size of that group.

There are far more people vaccinated. Hence you would tend to see more deaths who happen to be vaccinated.

The unvaxxed group is much much smaller if anything in a very small population size of unvaxxed if the death rate is the same as per the vaxxed or even lower then you should see hardly any cases at all.

If the average numbers of deaths is the same per day in both groups it would point to a higher mortality rate per 100 or per 1000 population in the unvaxxed.
Vac supposed to reduce probability of getting infected to near zero.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Vac supposed to reduce probability of getting infected to near zero.
Thats what I thought as well.

Apparently that is not part of what a vaccine does anymore.

Some doctors even say it was never what a vaccine was expected to do.

I was always under the impression that vaccination and immunization were synonymous. Looks like I wasn't the only one to say that.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/imz-basics.htm

Immunity: Protection from an infectious disease. If you are immune to a disease, you can be exposed to it without becoming infected.

Vaccine: A preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but some can be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce protection from a specific disease.

Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

Perhaps this new differentiation is for new vaccines going forward. In the past when we call it a vaccine it is supposed to confer immunity and stop the spread of the virus because the vaccinated do not get infected and do not carry the virus.

Nevertheless the covid vaccine does have its utility in reducing the chances of the vaccinated getting sick or very sick or dying from covid. However it does not seem to stop the spread. This issue of whether it help stop spread or not is still being debated in various countries.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The virus is no big deal so let's move on.
Unfortunately no man is an island.

These days what is reported in the media and social media decides what is a "big deal".

And covid 19 is still a very hot topic for various reasons.

Reporting about it isnt only confined to the medical aspect but also various theories about how it is a tool to control people, oppress people, force some kind of tracking device into everyone's body, violate human rights.

If you ask me those allegations are more dangerous and serious than the virus itself.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
65-year-old GP, who kept fees low for needy and elderly MacPherson residents, dies of Covid-19 complications

By TESSA OH
Published OCTOBER 11, 2021

1634049407083.png

Dr Raymond Yuen/LinkedIn & Google Street View

SINGAPORE — A family physician who kept his consultation charges low for elderly and vulnerable residents in MacPherson, and was well-regarded in the community, has died due to Covid-19 complications.

The doctor, 65-year-old general practitioner Raymond Yuen, worked at Hosanna Medical Centre at Block 51, Circuit Road in Macpherson.

He had been a family physician for more than 30 years.

In response to TODAY’s queries, the Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed that a 65-year-old GP died on Saturday and he was one of the 11 Singaporeans whose deaths were reported by the ministry on the same day in its nightly update on the coronavirus situation here.

The ministry expressed its condolences to the family of the doctor, whom it did not name.

Yuen is believed to be the first doctor here to die of Covid-19.

READ ALSO
11 Singaporeans, including a 56-year-old, die of Covid-19 complications; death toll reaches 153
In a report by Chinese news portal 8world on Monday, it quoted an attendant at the clinic saying that Yuen likely caught the infection from a patient.

However, MOH in its reply to the media said there is “no evidence” that the doctor had been infected by a Covid-19 patient.

Subscribe to our email newsletter

SUBSCRIBE
By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

“His clinic is neither a Public Health Preparedness Clinic nor a Swab-and-Send-Home Clinic for Covid-19. We also have no records that his clinic saw any Covid-19 patients recently,” said MOH.

Yuen was partially vaccinated against Covid-19 with a non-messenger ribonucleic acid vaccine approved under the ministry’s Special Access Route and had no known medical conditions, said MOH.

According to his profile on the 365 Cancer Prevention Education Association’s website, where he was the honorary assistant secretary, Yuen had more than 30 years of experience as a family physician.

He completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Hong Kong in 1987, and received a postgraduate degree in medicine from National University of Singapore in 1992.

Ms Tin Pei Ling, who is the Member of Parliament for MacPherson, said in a post on Facebook that she was “deeply saddened to learn of the passing of a caring GP in MacPherson”.

Though she did not name Yuen, Ms Tin said she learned about his contributions to the community from residents in the ward who used to be patients at his clinic.

“They shared about how the affable doctor made visits to the clinic less intimidating. They enjoyed the small talks and tips on leading a healthy and holistic lifestyle, which he was so passionate about,” she said.

Ms Tin added that Yuen had considered the population of elderly and vulnerable residents in MacPherson in keeping his consultation charges low.

Residents knew that he did so out of sincerity and care for their well-being. Many of his patients became friends with him.

“Many of us are moved by his benevolence to the community. Our thoughts are with his family. I sincerely hope that the family will find the strength to overcome the grief,” she said.

A Facebook user known as David Lam had posted about Yuen’s death in a Facebook group for users in Hong Kong, saying that his good friend, a Singaporean doctor, had died due to complications from the coronavirus.

He wrote in Mandarin that he and Yuen, who was born in Hong Kong, had grown up together in church in the 1980s and the news of Yuen’s passing had made him cry.

“Do not let your guard down. Underestimate Covid-19 and it will take our lives,” he said.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
65-year-old GP, who kept fees low for needy and elderly MacPherson residents, dies of Covid-19 complications

By TESSA OH
Published OCTOBER 11, 2021

View attachment 124840
Dr Raymond Yuen/LinkedIn & Google Street View

SINGAPORE — A family physician who kept his consultation charges low for elderly and vulnerable residents in MacPherson, and was well-regarded in the community, has died due to Covid-19 complications.

The doctor, 65-year-old general practitioner Raymond Yuen, worked at Hosanna Medical Centre at Block 51, Circuit Road in Macpherson.

He had been a family physician for more than 30 years.

In response to TODAY’s queries, the Ministry of Health (MOH) confirmed that a 65-year-old GP died on Saturday and he was one of the 11 Singaporeans whose deaths were reported by the ministry on the same day in its nightly update on the coronavirus situation here.

The ministry expressed its condolences to the family of the doctor, whom it did not name.

Yuen is believed to be the first doctor here to die of Covid-19.

READ ALSO
11 Singaporeans, including a 56-year-old, die of Covid-19 complications; death toll reaches 153
In a report by Chinese news portal 8world on Monday, it quoted an attendant at the clinic saying that Yuen likely caught the infection from a patient.

However, MOH in its reply to the media said there is “no evidence” that the doctor had been infected by a Covid-19 patient.

Subscribe to our email newsletter

SUBSCRIBE
By clicking subscribe, I agree for my personal data to be used to send me TODAY newsletters, promotional offers and for research and analysis.

“His clinic is neither a Public Health Preparedness Clinic nor a Swab-and-Send-Home Clinic for Covid-19. We also have no records that his clinic saw any Covid-19 patients recently,” said MOH.

Yuen was partially vaccinated against Covid-19 with a non-messenger ribonucleic acid vaccine approved under the ministry’s Special Access Route and had no known medical conditions, said MOH.

According to his profile on the 365 Cancer Prevention Education Association’s website, where he was the honorary assistant secretary, Yuen had more than 30 years of experience as a family physician.

He completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Hong Kong in 1987, and received a postgraduate degree in medicine from National University of Singapore in 1992.

Ms Tin Pei Ling, who is the Member of Parliament for MacPherson, said in a post on Facebook that she was “deeply saddened to learn of the passing of a caring GP in MacPherson”.

Though she did not name Yuen, Ms Tin said she learned about his contributions to the community from residents in the ward who used to be patients at his clinic.

“They shared about how the affable doctor made visits to the clinic less intimidating. They enjoyed the small talks and tips on leading a healthy and holistic lifestyle, which he was so passionate about,” she said.

Ms Tin added that Yuen had considered the population of elderly and vulnerable residents in MacPherson in keeping his consultation charges low.

Residents knew that he did so out of sincerity and care for their well-being. Many of his patients became friends with him.

“Many of us are moved by his benevolence to the community. Our thoughts are with his family. I sincerely hope that the family will find the strength to overcome the grief,” she said.

A Facebook user known as David Lam had posted about Yuen’s death in a Facebook group for users in Hong Kong, saying that his good friend, a Singaporean doctor, had died due to complications from the coronavirus.

He wrote in Mandarin that he and Yuen, who was born in Hong Kong, had grown up together in church in the 1980s and the news of Yuen’s passing had made him cry.

“Do not let your guard down. Underestimate Covid-19 and it will take our lives,” he said.
RIP.