• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pay more for your coffee fix

• Thread starter Yoshitsune Minamoto
  • Start date
Y

Yoshitsune Minamoto

Pay more for your coffee fix

12101.jpg

Coffee shops in Upper Serangoon, Geylang up drink prices for World Cup.

Singapore, June 12, 2010 - PLANNING to catch the World Cup TV telecasts at your favourite coffee shop? You may have to pay more. At the Y2000 Beer Garden on Upper Serangoon Road, prices of all beverages, including beer and stout, are up by 50 cents during telecast hours.

This means that a cup of coffee now costs $1.40, up from 90 cents. Beer prices have been raised to around $6 a bottle. The price hike will last from 7pm to 6am for the duration of the World Cup, said the owner of the 24-hour outlet, who wanted to be known only as Ms Jenny. A check with other coffee shops showed a similar trend. Why the steep increase? “I had to pay almost double the amount I paid to screen the World Cup four years ago,” explained Ms Jenny.

Based on SingTel’s and StarHub’s rates for commercial establishments, Ms Jenny would have paid more than $10,000 to show the matches on her three TV sets – one with a 52-inch screen and two smaller ones. Even by passing the extra costs to her customers, she said, it would still be “difficult” to recoup the telecast costs. But how would her customers react?

Not a big deal

Said Mr Lau Keok Meng, 44, a technician: “I don’t mind paying slightly more if I’m here to watch the matches. It’s not a big deal to me.” Regular customer See Ah Koon, 66, a deliveryman, agreed. The World Cup happens once every four years, so paying a little more once in a while is okay,” he explained.

Food stalls in the coffee shop will not be raising their prices. Stall owner Kent Tan, 36, plans to continue selling chicken rice during the matches, and nasi lemak later in the night. “I won’t be raising my prices. I don’t think it’s necessary,” he said. San Jiang Eating House at Lorong 12 Geylang, which will be screening the matches on five 20-inch TVs, will charge 20 cents more for all drinks.

A spokesman for the Foochow Coffee Restaurant and Bar Merchants Association, which counts Y2000 Beer Garden among its 400 members, said it was aware of the price hikes, but added there was nothing to stop stall owners from raising the prices of drinks. He said that only four out of an estimated 400 coffee shops under the association have signalled that they would raise prices.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Typical SG Business Signs

Govt or Govt linked companies raise fees by making dumb decisions - pass costs to consumers via Shops/Business

Sg still vote for PAP because they didn't know who is the real culprit

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the coffeeshop cannot pay the world cup fee. Better close shop. I really hate it because no empty table to eat. Place crowded with FT especially bangla/thai............until some places standing outside the coffee shop.
The foods stall will suffer the most.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Coffe should be priced $8 to capture the crowd .

There should be barricades and someone to control the crowd .

Orders are to be taken minimum order $50 . Then you be directed to seats .

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
i go next door minimart buy 1 big packet of Mr Kopi-O then go coffeeshop order 1 glass of hot water can liao lor.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
i go next door minimart buy 1 big packet of Mr Kopi-O then go coffeeshop order 1 glass of hot water can liao lor.

Wah you so cheapskate Singaporeans .

Next time kopitiam and coffeeshops in Singapore
have to hire bouncers to meet sales target .
To chase away those fuckers who hoard seats but
never contribute enough .

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wahlaneh...

Hot water per glass will be S$1, the coffeeshop owners will tell you, the paying patrons are subsidizing you....haven't you heard or know of this? They learn from the best paid taichi masters on planet earth.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't blame the coffeeshop owner. Do you know how much they have to pay for the broadcasting rights?
Fuck the party that charges such high fees.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't blame the coffeeshop owner. Do you know how much they have to pay for the broadcasting rights?

The party had already farked us..wether we are paying for cable or not...what to do, it already happen...:o

ponzii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very true i am in the usa on business now every game is broadcast for free only in Sing can they cheat us like that.