• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Parking prices up in Chinatown for CNY

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20110128-260875.html

Sun, Jan 30, 2011
The New Paper

20110128.143057_china.jpg

Parking prices up in Chinatown for CNY

By Desmond Ng, Rae Tan and Marie Lim

INFLATION here is already at its highest in two years.

And consumers are bracing themselves for further, albeit temporary, price hikes as retailers and service providers - think bak kwa sellers and hair salons - cash in on the coming Chinese New Year.

"It shall not be the trend during other festive seasons or else Geylang, Little India and Orchard Road might follow suit." -AsiaOne reader @cheguthamrin on Twitter

Even motorists have to pay more to park at some shopping malls in Chinatown during the festive period.

Chinatown Point, People's Park Centre and People's Park Complex have raised parking charges to cope with the higher traffic volume.

Some motorists see this as profiteering from the festive season.

From Jan 15 to Feb 17, the per-entry charge for vehicles to Chinatown Point after 5pm has doubled to $4 from the usual $2.

Manager Daniel Ong, 30, who parks there every day, feels that the increase is unfair.

"I think the price increase is solely for the profit of the mall. I have to pay about $20 each day to park here, so why should I pay even more now?" he said.

"I think it's reasonable to increase food prices during this period, but I don't think it's fair to increase car park charges."

20110128.143057_parking.jpg

The temporary sign displayed at the carpark at People's Park Centre.

He said he is not entitled to season parking at Chinatown Point because he does not work there. He works at Upper Cross Street.

But despite his complaints, Mr Ong said he would still park at Chinatown Point as it is the most convenient carpark for him.

Businessman Wei Chun Hui, who runs a music shop in Chinatown Point, is also unhappy.

Said the 39-year-old: "I'm afraid my business might be affected. My customers might be more reluctant to come because of the increased parking charges during this period."

Over at People's Park Centre, from Jan 18 to Feb17, motorists have to pay $3.20 per entry after 5pm, up from $2.14.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is fair. If consumer cannot pay extra $2 then they cannot afford to buy anything/service.
can afford to buy car but cannot pay $2. KNN beter dont buy car .

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is fair. If consumer cannot pay extra $2 then they cannot afford to buy anything/service.
can afford to buy car but cannot pay $2. KNN beter dont buy car .

Per entry should $20 .
I rather pay more than waste time going round and round .
And see those idiots who park but go downstairs to eat cheong fun .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it is true that the CNY business is down by 20 to 35%, then increasing the parking during the festive season has only contributed to this fall.

PAP better wake up to the economic realities that exists in Spore nowaday or face the same fate of other corrupt regimes, emm I mean other world class, efficiently run gov'ts :smile:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah brilliant strategy! Justify it on the high demand and up the parking fees!
So festive shoppers LL also have to pay.Pay and pay!:oIo::rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think parking pees is the cause !

With high fuel costs, parking, ERP, etc it may not be the main cause but one contributing to the "costs".

I no longer visit places like Orchard Rd, Chinatown because of these 'costs' & the crowds.

There's really nothing that I miss from Chinatown that I can't find in the neighbourhood mall which has all that I need.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
why go there? you can do shopping of CNY sundries in every part of singapore. if can afford the kind of biscuit >$100 per kg, what is the $10/$20 parking fee?

holyman

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin: just a humourous side note wrt this post, I think the bulk of singapore problems lie in the numerous parking lots we have. imagine if parking lots were removed, less people will buy cars, with less people buying cars, more will take public transport, with more crowded public transport, people will get more impatient and stress, and choose to stay home instead of going out to shop, more time spent at home means more time to fuck and procreate and also more babies, less time spend shopping will mean more money saved and also cost of living will go down due to lack of demand for goods...all in all as you can see SG problems are all caused by parking lots, not PAP...:biggrin: see you dont have to pay me millions and i have solved most singaporean's problems...

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin: just a humourous side note wrt this post, I think the bulk of singapore problems lie in the numerous parking lots we have. imagine if parking lots were removed, less people will buy cars, with less people buying cars, more will take public transport, with more crowded public transport, people will get more impatient and stress, and choose to stay home instead of going out to shop, more time spent at home means more time to fuck and procreate and also more babies, less time spend shopping will mean more money saved and also cost of living will go down due to lack of demand for goods...all in all as you can see SG problems are all caused by parking lots, not PAP...:biggrin: see you dont have to pay me millions and i have solved most singaporean's problems...

Then who pays those to stay at home to procreate ? The government ?

Who pays the government then when all the private businesses go down .

Then the government got no one else to tax and have to sell more bonds .

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who pays the government then when all the private businesses go down .

Then the government got no one else to tax and have to sell more bonds .

Trust me, when it comes to making money, we have a world class and 1st class machinery who will innovate and invent new ways to solve this life-and-death matter. They always succeed.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot pay, don't drive. Park at home and take public transport. Unless public transport hikes rates during this period to cope with higher volume, then I nothing to say:biggrin:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot pay, don't drive. Park at home and take public transport. Unless public transport hikes rates during this period to cope with higher volume, then I nothing to say:biggrin:

The point is not about affordability. More about kiasuism (among motorists) and profiteering (car park operators)!:wink:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The point is not about affordability. More about kiasuism (among motorists) and profiteering (car park operators)!:wink:

Hair Salons also profiteering, unless ownself cut hair at home. It's a question of is there a need. If you need to drive, then you are at ransom. Or you park at keong saik street car park lots and walk over. Your convenience.

Rates stated clearly, either you drive off or drive in. Nothing much we can complain about.

If I own a big carpark and its full house during this period with so many cars waiting, I also think of ways to increase price. :biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
plenty of parking lots in multi carpark at chinatown hawker centre. the usual HDB rates by ERP system applies, i.e, per minute charge.