• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP To Provide HDB Lifts with Smart Screen to Brainwash Sinkies

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Election is coming.
Every lifts in HDB will be fixed with smart screen to provide local information?
hello PAP... dont need to say,... nowadays many people have smart phone and I know your smart screen is to brain wash sinkies.

Smart screens in HDB blocks to provide local information
SINGAPORE — The lift landings of all public housing blocks are set to be installed with smart screens providing useful information on transport and weather for the community, Environment and Water Resources Minister Vivian Balakrishnan announced today (April 8).

These screens will project information on bus timings, weather conditions and community events within each precinct. Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the Internet of Things (IoT) Asia conference, Dr Balakrishnan said the move was meant to foster greater cohesion among residents.

“The concept is this: To provide relevant information and opportunities for interaction for local communities (by) leveraging on technological tools available,” said Dr Balakrishnan, who is also Minister-in-Charge of Smart Nation. “I want to get people looking at more than just a personal screen they hold in the palm of their hands, I want people to do things together and share collective experiences. This is part of nation-building 3.0.”

Eventually, every block in every precinct will have the opportunity to exploit new technologies in “transforming the way we live, work, play, organise ... build common experiences, generate memories and bring up our children”, he said.

Trials for these smart screens have started in some precincts. When contacted, a spokesperson from the Smart Nation Programme Office said more information on the trials would be shared later.

Last year, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the push for Singa*pore to become a Smart Nation was about making life better for people. He believed it would help Singapore stay ahead of other cities, such as Shanghai and San Francisco. Several initiatives, such as some that involve driverless cars and monitoring, and alert systems in the homes of the elderly, are already under way.

Noting that there are concerns about privacy and security breaches with the use of such technology, despite the “great potential” of the Smart Nation plans to improve the healthcare, transport, environment and logistics sectors, Dr Balakrishnan assured that laws and policies will keep up with the expanded use of technology.

Pointing out that the lack of ideas was a key challenge, Dr Balakrishnan urged businesses to share their ideas for a Smart Nation, adding that the Government would be their “reference customers”.

“Make us your best offers, your best ideas. Because you know we are sceptical, knowledgeable and demanding customers, if you can convince me into buying or using your product, you can use that as your calling card in other parts of the world,” he said.

The conference, now in its second year, saw more than 85 speakers from 16 countries come together to discuss how to apply, evaluate and implement IoT technologies — the term used for situations where people can transfer data over a network without the need for human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction. More than 40 companies exhibited their products.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no more digging up and refilling of the road surfaces n times, must think of something new for a change, smart screen projects to pocket more money for them.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's to bombard the residents with ads. Remember tv mobile in buses? :rolleyes:

Photo0500.jpg

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How long are one going to stay in the lift? :biggrin:

I don't think it will installed inside the lift. It will be fixed at the lift landing on the ground level. So, you can catch the news, weather forecast, bus timing, adverts, etc while waiting for the lift to come.

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think it will installed inside the lift. It will be fixed at the lift landing on the ground level. So, you can catch the news, weather forecast, bus timing, adverts, etc while waiting for the lift to come.

Fixed at lift landing on ground level?
Watching weather forecast and bus timing, while waiting for lift to come?

When you're back home from work?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think they have something similar at the lift lobbies of some office buildings. It's nothing more than another channel for ad delivery.

With weather and other information apps available for smartphones, it probably does not make sense.

Until you realise that the crony who landed the contract to install these smart screens must be delighted. Oh, and the additional revenue from ads certainly helps. :wink:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you are coming home from work, you should pay attention to the news or the adverts..while waiting for the lift to come. If you are going to work and still have time to catch, you can still catch the weather forecast and bus timing. It is a smart screen.. meaning that you can touch the screen to select the things you want to see.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then TC will announce increase in fees to cover the cost of this useless smart screens.

Vivian is not a smart man ...based on his track record. He should have been fired years ago for overspending millions of our tax dollars.