• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Owners of East Coast Satay Bee Hoon want to sell recipe at $200k. would you buy it?

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore, September 9, 2012

20471.jpg

If you have at least $200,000 to spare, you can consider buying the recipe for the famous Meng Kee Satay Bee Hoon stall at East Coast Park.

After 30 years of business there, the owners are calling it quits due to ill health.

Mr Ng Hiok Meng, 60, was paralysed from a fall, while older brother Mr Ng Siaw Meng, 63, has stomach cancer.

Older brother Mr Ng explained that their children have their own interests and do not wish to inherit the business, hence he wishes to sell it to someone who is sincere in suceeding it.

Shin Min Daily News reported that more than 10, including a local food group, have expressed interest in the secret recipe that has made the stall popular for so many years.

"I wasn't sure how much the recipe would be worth, but at a minimum sum of $200,000, it will be able to help me and my brother with medical fees", said Mr Ng Siaw Meng.

He told Shin Min Daily News that he once rejected a food group because they wanted him to be a 'live signboard'.

"One of their conditions was to have me appear in front of customers at various stores to let them know that this is my satay bee hoon."

He also rejected potential buyers who did not want to reveal what they intend to do with the recipe.

Mr Ng stressed that money is not as important as expanding the satay bee hoon business and bringing it overseas so that other people around the world can get a taste of local food.

"The recipe is not important - it can only tell you the type of ingredients to use and in what quantity.

"What's important is the secret behind making an effort to cook good food and promoting it," said Mr Ng.

Meng Kee Satay Bee Hoon stall won the Makansutra Hawker Legend in 2005.

This 'hawker legend' was even promoted by the Singapore Tourism Board at tourist information centres and international airports around the world.

Read full article http://soshiok.com/article/20471

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Owners of East Coast Satay Bee Hoon want to sell recipe at $200k. would you buy i

Chicken feed compared to $3.8 million commanded by famous Kay Lee Roast Meat.

T

TuaBui

Re: Owners of East Coast Satay Bee Hoon want to sell recipe at $200k. would you buy i

old airport road hawker centre satay mee hoon can fight with meng kee

noname

Alfrescian
Loyal

What's so special about the recipe? It's only an unwashed pot.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chicken feed compared to $3.8 million commanded by famous Kay Lee Roast Meat.

Anyone knows the latest/status of this sale of roast meat recipe ? Went quiet after all the hoohaas!

Just curious.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Anyone knows the latest/status of this sale of roast meat recipe ? Went quiet after all the hoohaas!

Just curious.

still around and still as lousy

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

old airport road hawker centre satay mee hoon can fight with meng kee

old airport road is which stall? The old man that also sells laksa or the one next to penang prawn noodles?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

The last time Tip Top Curry Puff was sold, it never tastes the same again.

Goh Meng Seng

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

still around and still as lousy

No leh, I was there about 2 months ago and the shop has closed. Seems that some sucker bought the recipe.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The last time Tip Top Curry Puff was sold, it never tastes the same again.

Goh Meng Seng
Din know the owner sold out......after he came out from prison? Was there recently in amk......they are still at the same coffeeshop but the stall been revamped. Taste more or less the same as i remembered though the puffs seemed to have shrunk in size

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Din know the owner sold out......after he came out from prison? Was there recently in amk......they are still at the same coffeeshop but the stall been revamped. Taste more or less the same as i remembered though the puffs seemed to have shrunk in size

yup. now at 1.30 each...

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

No thanks to Fiona xie who interviewed him in a Foodie show asking him how many puffs were soLd on weekdays &
weekends, and this howLian guy was bragging too Loud tiLL the taxmen got wind of it..:eek::smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Even if you know the "secret" recipe you'll probably have to compromise on the quality as prices of the ingredients & rental go up, up, up... If you don't you'll soon be out of business

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No thanks to Fiona xie who interviewed him in a Foodie show asking him how many puffs were soLd on weekdays &
weekends, and this howLian guy was bragging too Loud tiLL the taxmen got wind of it..:eek::smile:

When you are old one must beware of a pretty face :o

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal

you all never see kungfu panda ah? there is NO SECRET RECIPE! :biggrin: i think it's just years of hardwork & building up your clientele! $200K or $3.8m is the price of the hard earned reputation.. SBF is considered cheap already $20 can get 1000pts & up your reputation, maybe some lao jiao SBF uncle can demand $10m here. :biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

These people never learn, this was years ago, when "pinky" was young, he was on his rounds in AMK, he asked the ah neh, stall owner, how many "mee goreng" he can sell in a day...etc... Ah neh went on to brag...damn! I told myself then...Stall rentals will rise faster than the mercury rocket...and it has!

seesuatah

Alfrescian
Loyal

why you need to pay 200K for a satay beehoon recipe?

it's already on the internet, my wife had already made it!!

but you are filthy rich with a heart, feel free to donate for his medical expenses!!

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

These people never learn, this was years ago, when "pinky" was young, he was on his rounds in AMK, he asked the ah neh, stall owner, how many "mee goreng" he can sell in a day...etc... Ah neh went on to brag...damn! I told myself then...Stall rentals will rise faster than the mercury rocket...and it has!

Oh i remembered that too..knn, aLL these naive staLL hoLders faLLing Like dominoes thereafter; when the taxmen
came a knocking ! :eek:
Then there was this MaLay Lady who was seLLing mee rebus, teLLing the TV host that she did 60kgs of noodLes
daiLy..sureLy tiok aLso.:cool: