• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

our common identity in past, present and future...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Without PAP.
SG will be maybe 5 year advance compare to Penang in Malaysia or KL.

our music and TV industry was a success in the 60s & 70s! 张小英, Naomi and the boys, the Quest, the crescendos, etc... ah bui ah sarn... then what happened? :(:(:(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
A little pity though that the threadstarter does not know that capital letters are not only used for names but can also be used to start sentences. :biggrin:

i've got a bit of an inferiority complex lah :o:o:o

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which one you like?

dp50337461.jpg

burger.gif

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old fart sinkies tend to view the past through rose tinted glasses. The problem is they only remember the good times and forget how hard life actually was. The dirt, the disease and the squalor the sinkies used to have to put up with still haunts me till today.

the younger generation, especially those born in the 80s, does not experience the hard and harsh times and is more susceptible to instant dissatisfaction when something goes awry at the slightest margin. only some old farts here with an axe to grind with the pap view the past through selective, filtered lenses. they ignore the fact that raw sewage and waste were stagnant in many longkangs across the island and those who lived in makeshift slums near rochor and oxley rise were getting their drinking and bath water from wells. residents had to toss a bucket into the well and pull it up to retrieve water. and when it rained, it was both a blessing and curse. blessing in that gushing rain helped to flush stagnant sewage and waste in makeshift drains and muddy canals; curse in that ponding in many low-lying places resulted in floods, loss of movement, and damage to ramshackle homes. the contrast with today is remarkable, and fewer sinkies remember and are reminded of that as they get older and die off.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
the tao sar piah is the sweet or salty version?

Sweet or salty irrelevant, what is your preference between tao sar piah and burger?

PAP down graded our own mother tongues to second class languages and promoted a foreign language to 1st class. PAP thrown out our tao sar piah and made burger our eating habit..:(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Sweet or salty irrelevant, what is your preference between tao sar piah and burger

i prefer pong piah aka hiong pheng in Cantonese :o:o:o

there are merits in using a common language as our Lingua Franca, i do not fault Ong Pang Boon for pushing for a common language where the majority of the natives can't claim dominance. very much like Latin in the scientific community.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Until the PAP came.....within a short span of 50 years.....singapore has turned into a hellhole and slum unmatched even by the gates of hell in Manila.......millions of cockroaches,tiongs,and shitskins crawled about everywhere,the natives were fast becoming an endangered species......

you have been dreaming. allow me to dash your dream with facts and reality of what sg was really like in the 50s, 60s and 70s. forget all those postcards of old sg that tourists would buy and send to their families in america and europe. they were selective images, possibly 1%, of total reality. the rest of sg were slums, dirty streets, unsightly food stalls, filthy fishing villages, and uninhabitable jungle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 180

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this image is from an old postcard, ironically. american and european tourists came to sg on stopover visits as they traversed the region, and places of interest (which they don't find at home) were those poverty-stricken street and river scenes where trishaws plied and sampans floated. there was a sg river community of immigrants from china where residents on flimsy boats seldom stepped on shore, even though they were feet from the banks and quays.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I prefer 老婆饼. :p

Sweet or salty irrelevant, what is your preference between tao sar piah and burger?

PAP down graded our own mother tongues to second class languages and promoted a foreign language to 1st class. PAP thrown out our tao sar piah and made burger our eating habit..:(

i prefer pong piah aka hiong pheng in Cantonese :o:o:o

there are merits in using a common language as our Lingua Franca, i do not fault Ong Pang Boon for pushing for a common language where the majority of the natives can't claim dominance. very much like Latin in the scientific community.